Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 11:13 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times

Advertisements

I'm not completely opposed to joint accounts, but on the condition that my partner was very financially responsible. Otherwise, a joint account for household finances is fine.

I've dated men who squandered all their money in ridiculous ways because they were counting on their next paycheck to make up for it. No emergency plans, no savings. No thanks. I couldn't trust that person to know the importance of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 11:14 AM

442 posts, read 615,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Nope, I'd just tell the guy to send those kids over to the grandparents and go find some sort of gig and contribute. I can't stand noncontributors.
Spending time with your children is contributing.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:14 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Nope, I'd just tell the guy to send those kids over to the grandparents and go find some sort of gig and contribute. I can't stand noncontributors.
Ah, so you're one of those ones who thinks only financial contributions count. Yes, best not ever get married then, or live with a partner, or even date...

Old 07-26-2012, 11:16 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,920,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Ah, so you're one of those ones who thinks only financial contributions count. Yes, best not ever get married then, or live with a partner, or even date...
I don't care about marriage or living with someone. However, I'll always date.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:17 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post
Spending time with your children is contributing.
"Daddy, can we go to Disney World?"

"No, because I don't have the money right now. I would have had if I kept my side job but your mommy though it would be a better contribution if I spent time with you by sitting next to you on the couch."

Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post

"No, because I don't have the money right now. I would have had if I kept my side job but your mommy though it would be a better contribution if I spent time with you by sitting next to you on the couch."
Or helping coach a soccer team, or going fishing or any number of things.

Why would you propose they go to Disney World...didn't you just say that it was not to be shared.

I'm presuming you are a guy. I think it is funny when guys have your attitude, because it seems like boys lose the most by having absentee fathers.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:21 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post

Now that is changing the topic entirely. We were discussing people taking second jobs to make play money for themselves.

Big difference.

When you get right down to it, things like taking a second job should be discussed with the spouse. Both people need to assess what the pros and cons are, how the second job will affect family life, and yes, what happens with the money. A spouse who just ups and takes a second job to make money for themselves without discussing it with the other spouse is just asking for marital problems. Same with a spouse who just up and quits a job.

These things are major life decisions. When you are married, you make those decisions together. If you don't want to work as a team, don't get married.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:23 AM

I can also say that as a parent I'd rather have a partner who was more engaged in parenting on a day to day basis than spending time on a side job for a once a year splurge to Disney World.

@YellowJacket, if you think parenting is only about "sitting on the couch" next to the kids...then you are sorely mistaken.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Now that is changing the topic entirely. We were discussing people taking second jobs to make play money for themselves.

Big difference.

When you get right down to it, things like taking a second job should be discussed with the spouse. Both people need to assess what the pros and cons are, how the second job will affect family life, and yes, what happens with the money. A spouse who just ups and takes a second job to make money for themselves without discussing it with the other spouse is just asking for marital problems. Same with a spouse who just up and quits a job.

These things are major life decisions. When you are married, you make those decisions together. If you don't want to work as a team, don't get married.
Very well said, especially about the second job being a joint decision.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:25 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times
Quote:
Most people don't really want to share if they worked hard for something.
Most selfish people dont really want to share at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships