Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 05:03 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,919,849 times

Advertisements

OP, have the two of you take some cooking lessons as a couple. If she asks why, tell her you think I'd just be a fun thing to do as a couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 05:05 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadisssss View Post
Ok real problem: often my wife's meals really aren't that good. Problem is I'm a better cook and a bit of a food snob but don't have the time or energy to cook myself everyday since I'm the bread earner and she's a stay at home mom.

She'll cook up some unimaginative boiled rice and chicken with random spices and tomato paste thrown in and call it good. Places the plate in front of me and asks "do you like it?". It's almost like...it's not an actual question but a statement like "eat it!".

So for whatever reason I end up lying without skipping a beat. This has been going on for almost a decade.

What would you do? She's not the type to take criticism well...
don't critique her or her cooking ability, make sure the discussion stays limited to the dish that you don't like, and exactly what you don't like about it.

avoid any sort of argument that goes like: "You always _____"

Old 07-26-2012, 06:18 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadisssss View Post
Ok real problem: often my wife's meals really aren't that good. Problem is I'm a better cook and a bit of a food snob but don't have the time or energy to cook myself everyday since I'm the bread earner and she's a stay at home mom.

She'll cook up some unimaginative boiled rice and chicken with random spices and tomato paste thrown in and call it good. Places the plate in front of me and asks "do you like it?". It's almost like...it's not an actual question but a statement like "eat it!".

So for whatever reason I end up lying without skipping a beat. This has been going on for almost a decade.

What would you do? She's not the type to take criticism well...
Well, if you hadn't already let it go for ten years, I would suggest cooking with her, since you apparently know more about it than she does, and giving her pointers through modeling. Plenty of us find the time and energy to cook after having worked a full day outside the home, so I'm sure you can muster the energy, if the alternative is tolerating crappy meals. Or, you could do it on the weekends if you truly can't manage to be involved on weeknights. After ten years of not saying anything, though, be prepared to explain why this is a "sudden" focus.

Really, though, criticizing someone's lack of skill in a particular area without offering any solutions to improve the situation is kind of a jerk move, and really only going to get a negative reaction (particularly if it opens the floodgates of, "For TEN YEARS, you've felt this way, and waited until now to say something?").

Old 07-26-2012, 06:29 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Lying bothers me so I can't relate to it.

Ask me a question and you will get an honest answer. Tough if the person asking doesn't want to hear the truth.

Read up on how to make simple nutritious meals that you both will like and show her what you learned.
It appears that should have been done a long time ago.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:12 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,475 times
Buy her some cookbooks and get her some cooking lessons. Tell her its because you want some variety. If she leaves the books on the shelf and refuses to go the classes you will have to be brutally honest and tell her the food sucks.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:28 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,494 times
I'd like to know how she reacts when you express yourself with something you don't like... what did she do last time, when you were dating? I would think it'd be irritating to hear a critique after 10 years but at the same time, if she's a big baby and turns it around on you, then I'd be less sympathetic to her needs. Sorry, but it goes both ways.

Is there a way to "tweak" her meals just enough that you'd find it enjoyable? Are there ready-made sauces or seasonings that she could use to add to her regular meals that would give them "oomph"? I'd definitely tell her and see if she's grown up any. You know not to hurt her feelings but if she still reacts poorly, then tough....she needs to grow up.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,039 times
Why dont you show her how to cook or have both of you take a cooking class.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Well, if you hadn't already let it go for ten years, I would suggest cooking with her, since you apparently know more about it than she does, and giving her pointers through modeling. Plenty of us find the time and energy to cook after having worked a full day outside the home, so I'm sure you can muster the energy, if the alternative is tolerating crappy meals. Or, you could do it on the weekends if you truly can't manage to be involved on weeknights. After ten years of not saying anything, though, be prepared to explain why this is a "sudden" focus.

Really, though, criticizing someone's lack of skill in a particular area without offering any solutions to improve the situation is kind of a jerk move, and really only going to get a negative reaction (particularly if it opens the floodgates of, "For TEN YEARS, you've felt this way, and waited until now to say something?").
^^^. Not to mention, then it would come out "what other things have bothered you that you haven't been honest about?"

Old 07-26-2012, 08:32 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Default I wouldn't tell her that

Does she like her cooking? Just wondering if you two have different taste. If that's true, then since you've told her all these years that you like her cooking then you can only encourage her towards making dishes that you like. You'll have to either write recipes down for the dishes you cook and ask her to make the recipe cause you like it or find already written recipes that you've tested yourself. Just tell her that you made it and liked the recipe and ask her if she can make it for you once a week. Maybe you can add a new one every month. It'll take time but it can be done.

Last edited by srjth; 07-26-2012 at 09:01 AM..

Old 07-26-2012, 10:26 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
^^ Totally a possibility. My SO and I have markedly different taste in many areas of dining.

But because I hate seafood and find it the most bland thing one can do with pasta, that doesn't mean that my SO's recipe for linguine with white clam sauce sucks, it doesn't mean that he's a terrible cook. It just means that I don't like fishy crap in my pasta. I would never dream of telling him that he's a bad cook, because he's not. Likewise, the fact that he doesn't like vegetables doesn't make my vegetable lasagna suck. It's really good...he just doesn't like it. It doesn't mean I'm a bad cook, either. 'Tis life.

The problem lies in the fact that the only effective way to guarantee that behavior continues is to reinforce it. Unfortunately for you, you've been reinforcing something you don't like for a decade...I hope you don't expect things to turn around overnight.

One really good idea would be to split cooking duties, seriously. You say you work. So do I and so does my SO (I imagine your spouse does other things with her day besides food preparation, as well). One can hold down a job and still manage to feed one's self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships