Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What percentage of people do you believe settles?
20% 7 14.29%
40% 10 20.41%
60% 17 34.69%
80% 10 20.41%
100% 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:35 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,122,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Theyre ARE settling with the best they can get because in their mind, it's better then being alone. Not with who they REALLY wanted to be with.

Staying with someone just to have someone around or staying with someone you don't really even like that much is the definition of settling.
Who exactly did they REALLY want to be with? And if they don't deserve that person how can it still be called settling?

This reminds me of my mom a bit. Over the years she has suggested that she settled. She always saw herself ending up with a CEO or some successful professional man. Well, she's not an educated, professional woman herself. How can she want, expect even, something that she's not? I don't see her as settling. She, like most people, got what she gave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 08:44 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,173,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Who exactly did they REALLY want to be with? And if they don't deserve that person how can it still be called settling?

This reminds me of my mom a bit. Over the years she has suggested that she settled. She always saw herself ending up with a CEO or some successful professional man. Well, she's not an educated, professional woman herself. How can she want, expect even, something that she's not? I don't see her as settling. She, like most people, got what she gave.

It depends on the individual, the person theyre most attracted to and feel most compatible in a relationship. We're not talking about movie stars here or CEO's necessarily it's people in the general lives

If you don't understand how being with someone you don't even like all that much just to be with someone is settling, I don't know what to tell you.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
But there's always would'ves and could'ves.
Only for the lazy, the unsuccessful, the do-nothings.

Quote:
For married people, perhaps they could've found someone even better had they kept looking for an additional 2-3 years.
Perhaps they could have been killed if they kept looking. Perhaps a natural disaster could have happened and killed their former or potential mate. Perhaps they could have a spiritual intervention and become a monk/nun and opt out all together. C'mon. It's nonsense.

Quote:
The bottom line is that they don't know if they would have or wouldn't have, but they do know that they took what was best available for them at the time....which is essentially settling.
If anything, this forum actually argues against your point. It shows that there really aren't better options out there. I don't know why you assume there is better.

Quote:
I'm not married, but when and if I do get married, when the time is right, I'll attempt to find the best available woman for me at that time. She might be great, but the bottom line is that I might be passing up on something better; and I'd accept that fact.

Btw, why do you think they call it "settling down"? lol It's because one has selected one individual to have a relationship and has forgone the opportunity to find better.
Foregone to find better in your eyes. To others it's foregone to have better.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
It depends on the individual, the person theyre most attracted to and feel most compatible in a relationship. We're not talking about movie stars here or CEO's necessarily it's people in the general lives

If you don't understand how being with someone you don't even like all that much just to be with someone is settling, I don't know what to tell you.
I don't think people necessarily deserve any better and if they don't, I don't think it's settling. As an analogy, the cashier at 711 earns $8/hr and the nurse in the local city hospital earns 70k/yr. Is the 711 worker settling for the $8/hr?

Old 07-29-2012, 08:56 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,695,560 times
Sitting back and watching this.

C'mon Bradley retort!

Old 07-29-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't think people necessarily deserve any better and if they don't, I don't think it's settling. As an analogy, the cashier at 711 earns $8/hr and the nurse in the local city hospital earns 70k/yr. Is the 711 worker settling for the $8/hr?
But how can you say what each individual person deserves? And me and you just have philosophical differences on what exactly settling is. Settling to me Is any of things I named In the second post, especially being with someone just to be with someone Your Essentially saying everyone ends up with their preferred number one choice, the person or type of person they truly wanted, that NO ONE settles and I disagree.

As for the 7/11 cashier analogy, that's different because Of legal qualifications. You CANT be a nurse without specific qualifications. Attraction is Subjective

Old 07-29-2012, 09:10 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,698,202 times
How ridiculous this thread is. Do you honestly believe many people simply give up and take the next chump/chumpess that turns up on their doorstep?

Some people have no idea, they live in this weird fantasy world of the internet and never get out experience real life with real people.

Sad.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
How ridiculous this thread is. Do you honestly believe many people simply give up and take the next chump/chumpess that turns up on their doorstep?

Some people have no idea, they live in this weird fantasy world of the internet and never get out experience real life with real people.

Sad.

Youd be surprised. And this

"Some people have no idea, they live in this weird fantasy world of the internet and never get out experience real life with real people."

Applies to you more then Me

And no settling isnt just "take the next chump/chumpess that turns up on their doorstep"

Old 07-29-2012, 09:15 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,698,202 times
Quote:
Youd be surprised. And this

"Some people have no idea, they live in this weird fantasy world of the internet and never get out experience real life with real people."

Applies to you more then Me
Nope, it applies to this silly thread. You do not have the inside scoop on anyone's relationship so how can you make a judgement call about them? Then you put up a poll with silly percentages.

I live in the real world kiddo. Almost every single one of my posts reflects my vast experience of humanity. The same cannot be said of your posts.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:17 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,695,560 times
I live in the real world and sometimes it sucks monkey balls. And sometimes it is happier than a squirrel with a boatfull of nuts. (Sorry watching Spongebob with my son)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships