Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:14 PM

10,174 posts, read 11,158,716 times

Advertisements

Yes, I am who I am... I'm very open with my words. You not likely, Too bad, too sad.

Actually - I'm one of the nicest people - you'd ever want to meet, but I'm very frank with my opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 01:15 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,727,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
In October 2011, I fell in love with a co-worker that I spent basically every day of the last three months with. She rejected me brutally. It's well documented in my posts here.

That sent me on a downward spiral where I...

1) Got a rebound girlfriend
2) Became an overnight misogynist who could only see the bad things women have done to me
3) Reduced my own self-esteem to the size of a peanut
4) Went gung-ho about the idea of dating and getting women to the point of thinking of hitting on 20 women a month, etc, etc.

The real Jobaba doesn't care about dating all that much and doesn't really belong on this forum. To wit...

Threads started at City Data Forum regarding dating after October 2011: ~70

Threads started at CD regarding dating before October 2011: zero.

I'm ALMOST over my co-worker and the real me is almost back. I'm spending more time on ESPN.com. I'm spending more time playing music. It feels good to have the real me creeping back.

I see some bitter stuff posted here that sometimes makes me wonder if those people are even real. For others, is this your real base personality that is posting here or did some messed up issue draw you to this dating site (as is often the case)?

it's not customary for people to go around shooting their mouths off on others' relationship dramas and things of that nature. I mind my own business and if people want to run around making a mess out their lives over another person, wouldn't be anything new, would it? So no, IRL I do not express my opinions to people on these matters because I'm not asked. IF someone asked me I would surely tell them what I thought and the reasons why. I have had people get 'mad' in the past b/c they asked me my opinion on their love situation. Oh well... As far as my depression/anxiety issues, I tend to keep my problems to myself excusing a therapist. I don't see what telling some outside person is going to do.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:17 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,351,776 times
I came here initially looking for info on moving back to NYC, then saw there was a lot more to the site. I chip in my two francs if I think I can help somebody. Going through some tough family health challenges, I should start a medical practice, so this is a good break for me.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:21 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,384,844 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogvz5GssvAg

Old 07-31-2012, 01:22 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've never really seen the point of creating a character or using the anonymity of the internet just to be confrontational and stir things up, so yes, it's the real me.
I've missed you, fleet.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:26 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,577 times
Yes, although it is sometimes hard to make my speech PG

Old 07-31-2012, 01:27 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,202 times
this question is too meta for me.

I like Huckleberry's answer in #5 though

Old 07-31-2012, 01:30 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I think Datafeed has a valid point. (And no, CD is not liable, read your TOS.)

But Datafeed may be a pot stirrer, and thus very direct, but I absolutely benefit from someone stirring the pot, and opening the discussion to opposing views. As an analogy, when one stirs the pot, the bay leaf gets exposed, and therefore does not end up in my bowl to choke on it.

Some issues need to be turned upside down so you can see them from a different perspective.

You may not like his/her term (Stirring the pot), but the excercise is most valid.

This is the real me. On the internet, I can discuss things with anonymity that I would not be comfortable with IRL (See my first thread started in this forum). I get a lotof value from all responses, even the ones I argue with the most vehimately.
There is a difference between discussing opposing views and being an outright jerk. Some people can't tell the difference. It's unfortunate.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:38 PM

11,361 posts, read 9,274,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
In October 2011, I fell in love with a co-worker that I spent basically every day of the last three months with. She rejected me brutally. It's well documented in my posts here.

That sent me on a downward spiral where I...

1) Got a rebound girlfriend
2) Became an overnight misogynist who could only see the bad things women have done to me
3) Reduced my own self-esteem to the size of a peanut
4) Went gung-ho about the idea of dating and getting women to the point of thinking of hitting on 20 women a month, etc, etc.

The real Jobaba doesn't care about dating all that much and doesn't really belong on this forum. To wit...

Threads started at City Data Forum regarding dating after October 2011: ~70

Threads started at CD regarding dating before October 2011: zero.

I'm ALMOST over my co-worker and the real me is almost back. I'm spending more time on ESPN.com. I'm spending more time playing music. It feels good to have the real me creeping back.

I see some bitter stuff posted here that sometimes makes me wonder if those people are even real. For others, is this your real base personality that is posting here or did some messed up issue draw you to this dating site (as is often the case)?
Dating site?

5 pages in and I'm surprised only one poster so called you on that. This is NOT a dating site. Many who post here are in good relationships.

Yes, I am real. I detest lying. I do not understand why some make up stories on here just for attention.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:13 PM

11,220 posts, read 8,291,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He does? That giving advice is potentially harmful, so we're all wasting our time here? What?
He may (?) be being a jerk about it, but yes, it's a good point. He said that someones good intentions can lead to bad consequences. I don't know about you, but I think that giving someone relationship advice carries a bit of responsibility. Case in point, there is a thread on here asking "should I leave my spouse?" There is a relatively short discription of what a jerk the spouse is, and most people jumped in and said "leave him, life is too short". You don't see that as potentially harmful? How about stirring the pot a little. Asking the OP to look at themselves and see if they are part of the problem. It's constructive feedback, and absolutely has a place on a forum like this if it is to be "NOT" a waste of time.

I have not read enough of his posts to know if he's a jerk or not. I do know that some people are devisive, but they have good points and valid contributions. I choose to overlook someone being a d-bag, and see if they have a contribution or not. It's all subjective, but I think he has a point. (Clearly, you are free to disagree.)

Quote:
Usually, that's called trolling. On a forum already prone to misogyny, that doesn't help.
Trolling is posting JUST for the sake of pissing people off and starting an argument. If someone is stirring the pot for the sake of exposing an opposing view, that is not the same. Again, I don't know datafeed's history, maybe he could have a better delivery. But rather than wasting your energy on being angry about his delivery, why not see if you can gain from his post, even if opposing.

Hell, I learn more from people I vehimately disagree with than those that share same or similar opinions. (I wish I could spell vehimately!!!).

Trying to keep it positive, I hope my response helps explain my POV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships