Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:25 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
So what exactly did you change about yourself? I'm curious.

I know my husband would LOVE to change some things in me, but it's not going to happen. But then I don't want to change either.
I learned how to communicate and be open and expressive. No small feat, since it always felt like a risk I wasn't willing to take. I learned why I have never trusted women enough (including my ex-wife) to be fully open. It was a really amazing transformation. Now I want nothing more than to be a GOOD husband and a father and I'm just alone and it feels too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 09:14 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I learned how to communicate and be open and expressive. No small feat, since it always felt like a risk I wasn't willing to take. I learned why I have never trusted women enough (including my ex-wife) to be fully open. It was a really amazing transformation. Now I want nothing more than to be a GOOD husband and a father and I'm just alone and it feels too late.
Hmmm, that's funny that you mention communication. What I've learned in my life is that there is such a thing at being too open. I keep a lot bottled up but there are times where I've tried to be open and honest as well. That came back and bit me in the ass!! Lesson learned.

I guess what works for one doesn't for another.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:42 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Hmmm, that's funny that you mention communication. What I've learned in my life is that there is such a thing at being too open. I keep a lot bottled up but there are times where I've tried to be open and honest as well. That came back and bit me in the ass!! Lesson learned.

I guess what works for one doesn't for another.
I mean, who the hell knows? I don't know what women want. I always had heard they want an emotionally intelligent, good communicator. But do they? So many women are dishonest, so you never know. Hence, I'm alone. Oh yeah, it did blow up in my face in my last relationship, so screw it.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:54 PM

640 posts, read 717,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I mean, who the hell knows? I don't know what women want. I always had heard they want an emotionally intelligent, good communicator. But do they? So many women are dishonest, so you never know. Hence, I'm alone. Oh yeah, it did blow up in my face in my last relationship, so screw it.
Understand that you're probably going through the most painful period possible....period. But, you're not a victim. It is what is. Plenty of guys have been through it (trust me, I could go on and on about my ex)...the challenge is to make yourself ready, available, and healthy enough to accept the next one...

Old 08-01-2012, 10:59 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Allen 242 View Post
Understand that you're probably going through the most painful period possible....period. But, you're not a victim. It is what is. Plenty of guys have been through it (trust me, I could go on and on about my ex)...the challenge is to make yourself ready, available, and healthy enough to accept the next one...
That is actually some of the smartest advice, I know that every relationship will teach you something about yourself (sometimes positive and sometimes negative), but you learn from everything.
The right person will come along, and the bottom line is that you have to love yourself first then you can love someone else. Sorry that sounded like a mix between a Dr Phil episode and a hallmark card.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:51 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Some can, some won't. It's a choice and it takes effort. I've known some really horrible, evil people who have done a complete 180, and I've also known some "good" people who have gone bad.

One thing you absolutely shouldn't do is become something that someone else wants you to be or what you think they want in a partner. Do not re-invent yourself because you think that's what the crush of the week will want you to be. If you're in a long term relationship, compromise is ok when it comes to chores, responsibilities, eating out, etc., but no one should compromise WHO they are for anyone.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:59 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
Because I am a idiot and I wanted to believe that things would be different, I really do need a dose of reality, if a friend of mine was in a similar situation and asked advice I would ask them "Why?"

well hey better late then never in some situations.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:15 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
"People don't change" - Dr. Gregory House

Old 08-03-2012, 11:01 AM

31,046 posts, read 22,077,427 times
People do change, sometimes for the worse and occasionally for the better. As some people age they become less tollerant then others. I think abusers, alcoholics and controllers are the worst kind, and hardest to change. I am very intollerant of poor behaviour in Women I am seeing and male friends too. I usually give a person 1 chance when they exhibit very bad behavior 'A bad outburst of nastyness' would be a good example; "Fair warning, one more extreme out burst and I will be gone" and I always follow through. Of course a physical attack would garner an instant end to any relationship. It is easiest to exit stage left when the person steps over the line. Anything else would be encouraging this bad behaviour in the other person; you are helping train a future abuser.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:13 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
"People don't change" - Dr. Gregory House
True very true. I just wish Dr. House was a actual person, I am sad that House is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships