Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 11:22 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
They don't stay single for long.
You're right. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen a single childless woman tip over to a single dad rather than to a single unmarried childless male, albeit handsome, because of the virility factor associated with having procreated. It really seems to do it for some women. That's cool. I couldn't relate to a woman who viewed it that way anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 11:32 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
You're right. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen a single childless woman tip over to a single dad rather than to a single unmarried childless male, albeit handsome, because of the virility factor associated with having procreated. It really seems to do it for some women. That's cool. I couldn't relate to a woman who viewed it that way anyhow.
It's probably less due to 'virility' and more due to being in a similar situation. Just like I'd prefer to date a childless man as opposed to a man with children because we'd be more likely to be at a similar place in life.

If virility was so important, single Moms (especially those with multiple children by multiple men) would be taken off the market quickly.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:39 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,191 times
My brother is a very hardworking single father. His wife ran out on him and the kid because she got married too young and never had a life So now we, his family, get to pick up the slack by baby sitting my niece while he works double shifts 6 days a week to put food on the table. He's a hell of a guy.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:55 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
If virility was so important, single Moms (especially those with multiple children by multiple men) would be taken off the market quickly.
But the double standard is at work. Single mom's children are viewed as a ball and chain. A single dad's children are viewed "wow, he was man enough to step up to the plate and procreate."

This is my interpretation. I've heard so many women almost coo, when talking about their single Dad boyfriend and the upcoming weekend, in that dumb sing-song manner "...and he's got his kids." Barf-bag, please.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
But the double standard is at work. Single mom's children are viewed as a ball and chain. A single dad's children are viewed "wow, he was man enough to step up to the plate and procreate."

This is my interpretation. I've heard so many women almost coo, when talking about their single Dad boyfriend and the upcoming weekend, in that dumb sing-song manner "...and he's got his kids." Barf-bag, please.
Oh, absolutely. It's sad that society sees being a Father and sticking around to raise them as such an incredibly rare and novel thing. A woman does the same thing (working 2 or 3 jobs) and she's made mistakes, is obviously a sluut and is neglecting her children because of working so much. They also rarely bring the Father into it because it was obviously her fault for choosing to procreate with a 'loser'.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:

Perhaps that's because in many communities and age-groups in this nation, many "fathers" don't bother sticking around at all, much less make an attempt at raising the kid on their own.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Oh, absolutely. It's sad that society sees being a Father and sticking around to raise them as such an incredibly rare and novel thing. A woman does the same thing (working 2 or 3 jobs) and she's made mistakes, is obviously a sluut and is neglecting her children because of working so much. They also rarely bring the Father into it because it was obviously her fault for choosing to procreate with a 'loser'.
Agreed with your first point, but you lost me on this. I've known a few deadbeat dads, and no-one praised their name.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
Agreed with your first point, but you lost me on this. I've known a few deadbeat dads, and no-one praised their name.
I know a few as well, and there are many men who praised them for 'getting away while they could'. There are also support groups out there where men help each other dodge child support payments. They're given pats on the back for hiding their assets and avoiding any type of responsibility because they're 'young and don't deserve this'.

So yeah, it happens.

I don't think deadbeat dads are given nearly as much negativity as single Moms are.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:53 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
50/50 sounds good, but from a practical standpoint, it can be difficult, especially for the child if the parents live in different communities and different school districts. Maybe it works out OK if the parents live near each other.
A friend just married a man who has a 50/50 custody arrangement with his ex, and they're mandated by the state to live in the same school district. Just from what she says about their arrangements, 50/50 may be fair for the parents, but it's hell on the kids. They live out of suitcases, spending a couple of nights with dad, then a couple with mom--the parents' whole non-work schedule is centered around picking them up and dropping them off. Throw in school and sports and other activities, and I feel bad for the little dudes.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:58 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
All of my friends who have had children with a former wife or sweetheart are very present in their children's lives. 99/100 times, danish courts award joint custody and the father has his children come live with him on a regular schedule, agreed to by the partners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships