Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:09 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times

Advertisements

If two people want to be together, that's their business. If they are happy with it, why should I care what they choose? Whether it lasts depends on too many factors to even guess at, and there can be practical issues that arise because of an age difference. If this young man wants children, then it's virtually certain that he'll find a new relationship where this is possible - but that may not be for years. I think it can more easily work for older men with younger women if they may eventually want children, but that's the only time where it matters WHO is the older. A different set of issues may arise once both are past wanting or being able to have children. Then it gets into things like retirement, health, nursing homes, ... LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 10:10 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
I wouldn't do it. I'm 28 and dated a 25 year old guy...didn't end well with only 3 years differences.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 AM

31,048 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I think she should make a decision based on how she thinks and feels and not how she will be perceived. However, a 15 year age gap is a big difference, growing up at different times, stages of life, etc.

She is likely established in home and career, where he's just starting out. She's at the end of her reproductive cycle and he's at the age where people are starting to consider long-term relationships, marriage, kids. 15 years is essentially a separate generation.

My ex-husband was 12 years older than me, and although he was young and trendy in spirit, dress, manner, he always felt like the "old guy" around my friends, because he'd 'been there and done that' with a lot of life experiences.

Love and attraction aren't enough, there has to be more there to sustain a long-term relationship, compatibility on all levels. I, at 40, would never even consider a 25 year old, but that's just me. It does work for some people.
If your friends are a broad mix of ages its more likely to survive.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:21 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
I have no opinion either way. As long as both are adults, it's no ones business what they do. Most people couldn't care less if a 40 year old man dated an 18 year old. Why is it a big deal if a 40 year old female dates a 25 year old grow man? I'll tell you one thing, a 40 year old woman with a 25 year old man is a LOT more sexually compatible than the 40 year old dude with a teenager girl.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:29 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Most relationships are temporary anyway. Tell your friend to go for it and have fun while is lasts. Just maybe it will!

So what on what others think.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:32 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDee View Post
Hi all, I have a girlfriend who was telling me that she met a nice young man but she does not want to have a relationship because she thinks he is too young for her. I told her that if he is nice and mature I dont' see a problem. The way I see it there are 40 year old men who are committment phobes and very immature so if she finds a 25 year old who she likes what is wrong with that. She keeps saying he is the same age as her younger brother. I really think she is worried about what other people will think. What do you think, is a 15 year age difference a big deal?
It all depends on the guy. There are very mature 25-year old guys out there. If he's into her, why not? I just met the ultimate example of older woman-younger guy couples. He was 25 when they met, she was 50. They had a ton of interests in common, and emailed for awhile, and started to fall for each other, but neither had a clear idea of how old the other was. They cleared that up, and he said he wasn't really interested in people his age, he always tended to hang out with older people anyway. So they've been together about 6 years, still going strong. Unlike some 50-something women, she really looks her age, and he looks like he's her son, but they don't care, they're very into each other.

If the 25-year old doesn't mind that he probably won't have kids (though there's still time for her, at 40), it's a good fit, and they discuss the age issue at some point, and are ok with it, why give up a chance for happiness just over a couple of numbers?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:34 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I wouldn't do it. I'm 28 and dated a 25 year old guy...didn't end well with only 3 years differences.
The same thing could have happened with a guy who is 28.

Breakups with couples the same age happen as well.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:55 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,920,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I have no opinion either way. As long as both are adults, it's no ones business what they do. Most people couldn't care less if a 40 year old man dated an 18 year old. Why is it a big deal if a 40 year old female dates a 25 year old grow man? I'll tell you one thing, a 40 year old woman with a 25 year old man is a LOT more sexually compatible than the 40 year old dude with a teenager girl.
What?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:59 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
What?
Get a clue about when women reach their peak.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-02-2012 at 11:39 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 11:02 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I agree with the TaoistDude....if the young man has no desire for children, I see no problems....but eventually if he changes his mind, it's almost a given that this relationship won't last....could mean a lot of anguish and heartache ahead if they really fall in love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships