Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 01:35 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
Smile, agree, and be kind. You'll do fine. Good luck!
NO!!!!! Do not agree with everything she says. Yes to smiling and making good eye contact. Don't act too kind or she'll think you're a pushover. I mean, be a gentleman, but don't bend over backwards trying to be perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 01:39 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,498 times
Look into her eyes, smile often, touch her hands, arms as you speak to her.
Manners matter- open doors, help with her chair etc. Ask if she needs anything- water, more bread, wine, tequila etc.
Do not talk about your ex-wife, divorce, or anything like that. This is a big no-no.

Best wishes~

~l~

Old 08-03-2012, 01:44 PM

Nice addition to my advice Dragonfly. I agree. I do think the touching part is tricky though. Not sure how he'll pull that off unless she touches his arm or leans forward toward him. Needs to be obvious body language that shows interest on her part. Reed, also, if you happen to end up at a bar, sit at the bar so your chairs are next to each other, rather than a table where you're across from each other. You'll get a much better idea of her interest this way.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:44 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Reed, oh poor Reed, man I feel for you bud. I had MANY 1st dates with beautiful women within a year of my divorce. They all blew up in my face. No second dates. Here's the single best piece of advice I can give you: Say nothing about your divorce unless asked. If asked, you better have a very good answer without putting the blame on your ex-wife (unless she cheated on you). If you act (like I did) as if you don't know why you got divorced or stumble over your words or act wounded, you're done. PRACTICE this in front of a mirror. Say it out loud a dozen times to yourself. Also, when you tell her, finish the explanation with "and I wish her nothing but the best".

The other thing is ask her open ended questions about family, work, friends, activities, travel, etc. Don't ask her any yes/no questions. Do those 2 things and you MIGHT get a second date. Women are flaky, so just use it as a practice run. OK, that will be $200 for my services today, lol.

It was my choice not to date for a good while I had to work on getting myself together I wanted back on my feet. Had to set my head on straight also. We've already talked about why our marriages failed before this in fact I think we've talked about everything, the good part is that we still have more to talk about. We"ve even talked about going out of town together for the weekend. I just need to get past this one & I'll be fine. Most of it just nerves because of the type of women she is.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
It was my choice not to date for a good while I had to work on getting myself together I wanted back on my feet. Had to set my head on straight also. We've already talked about why our marriages failed before this in fact I think we've talked about everything, the good part is that we still have more to talk about. We"ve even talked about going out of town together for the weekend. I just need to get past this one & I'll be fine. Most of it just nerves because of the type of women she is.
Oh well in that case, completely different. Maybe you can just be yourself and relax without having to be too careful what you say. Just don't drink too much, as you could mess it up.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I hope you two have a great time

Old 08-03-2012, 01:51 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Reed, oh poor Reed, man I feel for you bud. I had MANY 1st dates with beautiful women within a year of my divorce. They all blew up in my face. No second dates. Here's the single best piece of advice I can give you: Say nothing about your divorce unless asked. If asked, you better have a very good answer without putting the blame on your ex-wife (unless she cheated on you). If you act (like I did) as if you don't know why you got divorced or stumble over your words or act wounded, you're done. PRACTICE this in front of a mirror. Say it out loud a dozen times to yourself. Also, when you tell her, finish the explanation with "and I wish her nothing but the best".

The other thing is ask her open ended questions about family, work, friends, activities, travel, etc. Don't ask her any yes/no questions. Do those 2 things and you MIGHT get a second date. Women are flaky, so just use it as a practice run. OK, that will be $200 for my services today, lol.

Your advice about not discussing the gut wrenching details of your divorce is spot on.

I'm assuming you are following your own advice?

Here's one more piece - when you truly believe that all "women are flaky" THAT comes through in your attitude and could be one big reason by you are not getting any second dates.

Rethink your attitude my friend - your bitterness is repelling women from you instead of drawing them in.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:51 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
You might wanna slap a ham to it and offload reservoirs prior to the date.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:56 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,498 times
Quote:
Nice addition to my advice Dragonfly. I agree. I do think the touching part is tricky though. Not sure how he'll pull that off unless she touches his arm or leans forward toward him. Needs to be obvious body language that shows interest on her part. Reed, also, if you happen to end up at a bar, sit at the bar so your chairs are next to each other, rather than a table where you're across from each other. You'll get a much better idea of her interest this way.
Hey hotlantaguy!

Agreed, Reed should pay attention to her body language. =)

Old 08-03-2012, 01:57 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
NO!!!!! Do not agree with everything she says. Yes to smiling and making good eye contact. Don't act too kind or she'll think you're a pushover. I mean, be a gentleman, but don't bend over backwards trying to be perfect.

I've never agreed to anything someone says just to please them. We both have different views in religion, we both like the debate so that's not a problem. Like I said before we're from two different worlds She is from Panama not Florida but Bolboa, Panama. Like I said worlds apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships