Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 09:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
So you're saying no single mother in the history of the world has ever raised children on her own, successfully without a father being present?

funny how my mother did it and several others I knew. go figure.
Trying to ask this delicately, and meaning no disrespect...damn, never mind. Let's move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 09:08 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Trying to ask this delicately, and meaning no disrespect...damn, never mind. Let's move on.

very funny. I knew a girl that was molested and psychological abused by her father, he was in the home. So I guess that she's automatically successful since hers was 'in the home.'

If you don't consider me successful, oh well big deal. I'm a lot better off then that girl who's been to jail several times.

edit: I will bet $20.00 that whatever wordlife said it has to do with me, LMAO. Just can't help him/herself.

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 08-30-2012 at 09:21 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 09:19 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
"getting along" and "getting along successfully" are two entirely different things.
I have to spread the rep around but +1.

Lots of people "get along" but that influence you get from a strong male figure is just as important.

Quote:
So you're saying no single mother in the history of the world has ever raised children on her own, successfully without a father being present?

No dear, you're just taking it personal. Don't take this wrong way but you aren't that special and this topic wasn't started with you in mind.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:39 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
I basically grew up without a father, why does a boy need a father to "set him straight" unless you mean beat the crap out of him every chance he gets drunk or whenever he is in the mood.

My mother had rules which if not followed resulted in things being taken away from me, nothing like spending a week or a month in the house during the summer to set a kid right(this was long before video games and computers).

If some the males I was exposed to(neighbors and friend's fathers) growing up were "Men" I think I will take a pass on being one of those.

I think a lot of this "women telling me what to do" stuff goes back to a little boy that didn't want to do what Mom said, "NO woman is going to tell ME what to do, I am the MAN".

Old 08-30-2012, 09:41 PM

oh trackwatch, you're not supposed to give examples from your own life in this thread

Old 08-30-2012, 09:49 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Quote:

No offense, but you don't seem like the poster child for "fatherless but well adjusted".

Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,509 times
I dont think children need fathers necessarily, but they definitely need good strong positive males who are close and influential in their lives. This may come in the form of an uncle, a brother, a cousin, or a step father. I think all else equal, 2 ideal parents will always beat 1 ideal single parent.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Quote:
oh trackwatch, you're not supposed to give examples from your own life in this thread

Pretty bad when you are eight years old and you and your friends base how much of a man each father is compared to the other fathers based on how many beers they drink a day.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
No offense, but you don't seem like the poster child for "fatherless but well adjusted".

There is no 'poster child' for having a father or not having one. I guess by your logic, every person with a father in the home is 'well adjusted, never had any problems, etc.' Of course not. I never said I was perfect, most of my issues have nothing to do with not having a father, you may think you know -- but you don't. You can't miss what you don't have. To assume a father is a necessary is just men over inflating their importance yet again.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Pretty bad when you are eight years old and you and your friends base how much of a man each father is compared to the other fathers based on how many beers they drink a day.

yes that is pretty sad, if an eight year old is doing that. It would probably have been better off for him to just leave in that case, instead of messing your life up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships