Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:52 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,871 times

Advertisements

People living in the US are so materialistic and greedy that it at times makes my head spin. Of course money, finances, investments and ability to pay your bills, or live comfortably are all very important - but there is more to life. If money truly gave you ahppiness, there would be no millionaires who were unhappy. Being on this planet for almost 40 years, having traveled half the globe and gathering all of my observations, it is truly hard for me to tell if people with money live happier lives than those who have very little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 06:52 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Very true. A wonderfully ever-fascinating melting pot it is!
When I spend time in Hawaii (and I have spent a lot of time there), I also find myself running into people that I wouldn't meet here very easily.

Strictly minimum wage? No...many are small business owners (very small)...but they are unique and fascinating folks!

Old 08-06-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
People living in the US are so materialistic and greedy that it at times makes my head spin. Of course money, finances, investments and ability to pay your bills, or live comfortably are all very important - but there is more to life. If money truly gave you ahppiness, there would be no millionaires who were unhappy. Being on this planet for almost 40 years, having traveled half the globe and gathering all of my observations, it is truly hard for me to tell if people with money live happier lives than those who have very little.
Most people who have a roof over their heads, who never worry about their food or health care or how they will clothe their children for school ARE happier than naked homeless people with no teeth and distemper.

So, yes...there is a happy medium between not giving a fig at all about money and being a total materialistic wacko. A healthy respect for not stressing about the basics of life.

People act like if you care at all, you're some money-hungry monster. Happy. Medium.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:16 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,467,349 times
Income level is a non-issue for as far as dating or marriage is concerned. The only criteria I have in that regard is that they are financially responsible at whatever income level they have. Shared values, attitudes, and some common interests matter far more.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Income level is a non-issue for as far as dating or marriage is concerned. The only criteria I have in that regard is that they are financially responsible at whatever income level they have. Shared values, attitudes, and some common interests matter far more.
I agree!
But it's not like you have to pick one or the other.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The standard of living you become accustomed to in a two-income household still drops proportionately when one of the incomes is gone for whatever reason...
It doesn't have to. I make 90k, but I could easily live on 45k or less. My GF and I share a place with while she makes 65k and she could easily live on 32.5k. We could blow all our money, but we don't want to work for the rest of our lives.

Last edited by smarterguy; 08-06-2012 at 09:00 AM..

Old 08-06-2012, 07:46 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,828 times
Fantastic Comments......Very appreciated!!

And for the record.....I have never dated a student. I just used that as an example to get my point across.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:56 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
Nobody's current income is assured tomorrow anymore. I wouldn't base my relationships and happiness on what my potential spouse currently makes.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:18 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
I would be much more concerned about possibly marrying someone who had a lot of debt/financial responsibilities. If you deal with money responsibly and live on what you make, I figure that's all I can ask.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:54 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,996,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
This.

I've been in a couple of relationships with guys who made six figures (one lower, one mid). I made significantly less money than both of them at the time, but I was the one worried about their finances as a red flag. Just because you make money doesn't mean it will last forever.

Now that I make more, I'm aware of a potential partner's spending habits still. Definitely don't want someone dragging me down withthem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships