Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 10:39 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,777,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post
Ya I love things like that. Just knowing that someone actually listened is what makes it special. Guys love that stuff I have learned. We women do too actually. Good for you!
Yeah I mean it was just a stupid video game, no big deal. But what blew me away was that I talked..she listened..and worked to make my dream come true. It was incredible, and doesn't happen that often for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 10:42 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,835,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I do feel kinda jipped though. I've done all kinds of romantic things for my exes, but I can't recall them doing anything like really special.

Like I took a girl to a log cabin for a weekend. really romantic, and it was on a whim.

I've cooked some really amazing meals for there birthdays, or made there favorite meal on random nights because I knew she'd really love it.

Bought tickets to her favorite band because she couldn't afford it at the time.

Write her notes, love letters, etc.

Of course the random gifts, and once and a while some flowers.

But I honestly can't think of anything truly special that an ex has done for me.

I had a girl buy me hand lotion to help smooth out my rough hands a little bit. I've had my dinner bought for me once. No random gifts because "I was thinking of you when I saw this" or anything.
That's no good and certainly is not a good feeling to have. I think when its true love it truly should be the though that counts. All the things you listed shows for sure that you took thought and effort and applied it to these romantic gestures. If it wasnt "doing it" for the lady, its her job to kindly speak up about it, but still always appreciate your gesture. Haha! I will never forget some of the HORRIBLE gifts and things that some of m ex's gave me. But the good laugh we had from it is a great memory.

Maybe this thread has allowed you to realize something you hadnt thought about before. Make sure to let those lady loves know what makes the Prince feel special. If she's worth your time, she will get to work or atleast put in effort.

Time, thought, and effort have always been important to me. Never comparing one guy to the next. Looking at that one guy at face value, knowing him and what he has and appreciating the best that he knows how to give and can give at the time. Then you navigate them very kindly to what really makes you tingle all over and jump on your toes from excitement. This is what I have learned. Maybe you can do this too Prince?

Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
Yeah I mean it was just a stupid video game, no big deal. But what blew me away was that I talked..she listened..and worked to make my dream come true. It was incredible, and doesn't happen that often for me.
I know exactly what you are talking about. It goes back to the poster I mentioned I got foran ex. It was a stupid $15 poster. But it was that I actually listened and cared enough to want to surprise him and see his face light up for recognizing that I did hear him even when he never asked. Thats what made me unforgettable to him. To listen is to care. It is sweet of you for actually seeing the beauty in what she did even though it was quite simple. You'll def make some woman happy just because of your ability to appreciate the small things.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:58 PM

826 posts, read 1,893,137 times
Quote:
If that's the case, I'm really happy they're my exes.

Love language in some ways different maybe, but definitely not in every way.
Having different love languages can make you think someone does not love you, when in fact they do. The issue is that the way they express it is not the way you are used to receiving it.

The 5 Love Languages | The 5 Love Languages®

For instance, my love language might be Gifts (it actually is ). That means I show people I love them by giving them gifts, I also expect people to show me they love me by giving me gifts. Say I have a boyfriend whose love language is Acts of Service. If he doesn't give me gifts, I'd be mad, yet not realizing that the fact that he's always helping me out around my home, fixing things is a sign of his deep love for me. He'd also feel unloved because I'd probably not help him around his home. I'd think that by just giving him gifts, he should know my love for him. See how misunderstanding can occur?

Anyway, this is all pure conjecture because I don't really know how your situation with your exes really was. I just wanted to provide a different angle.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
Having different love languages can make you think someone does not love you, when in fact they do. The issue is that the way they express it is not the way you are used to receiving it.

The 5 Love Languages | The 5 Love Languages®

For instance, my love language might be Gifts (it actually is ). That means I show people I love them by giving them gifts, I also expect people to show me they love me by giving me gifts. Say I have a boyfriend whose love language is Acts of Service. If he doesn't give me gifts, I'd be mad, yet not realizing that the fact that he's always helping me out around my home, fixing things is a sign of his deep love for me. He'd also feel unloved because I'd probably not help him around his home. I'd think that by just giving him gifts, he should know my love for him. See how misunderstanding can occur?

Anyway, this is all pure conjecture because I don't really know how your situation with your exes really was. I just wanted to provide a different angle.
I just shared this book with my sister. Very good read for all relationships--family, friends, love life. All of it. Really good book and it truly did open my eyes.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:06 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
Quote:
That's no good and certainly is not a good feeling to have. I think when its true love it truly should be the though that counts. All the things you listed shows for sure that you took thought and effort and applied it to these romantic gestures. If it wasnt "doing it" for the lady, its her job to kindly speak up about it, but still always appreciate your gesture. Haha! I will never forget some of the HORRIBLE gifts and things that some of m ex's gave me. But the good laugh we had from it is a great memory.

Maybe this thread has allowed you to realize something you hadnt thought about before. Make sure to let those lady loves know what makes the Prince feel special. If she's worth your time, she will get to work or atleast put in effort.

Time, thought, and effort have always been important to me. Never comparing one guy to the next. Looking at that one guy at face value, knowing him and what he has and appreciating the best that he knows how to give and can give at the time. Then you navigate them very kindly to what really makes you tingle all over and jump on your toes from excitement. This is what I have learned. Maybe you can do this too Prince?
Oh hell I've given some terrible gifts to women before. Nothing so bad that they refused it, but they've told me that it wasn't what they liked or wanted. That's why I keep the receipt, so I can take them to the place I bought the item and turn it into something they like, or get my money back to spend it in a different way.

The problem is with me, is I never ask or hint at something I might like, because I've never really wanted a whole lot. I've been like this my entire life, when my parents had to sit me down and force me to tell them what I wanted for Christmas and birthdays. I'm just not use to receiving gifts, because I've never really wanted.

But, it really is the smallest things that make me happy. It would be really nice to meet and date a woman who had some idea of how to cook things that didn't come from a microwave. I've ranted about this before, but it'd be so nice to not have to cook every single night or be forced to get fast food because she doesnt know how to start a damn stove.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:11 PM

826 posts, read 1,893,137 times
Quote:
I just shared this book with my sister. Very good read for all relationships--family, friends, love life. All of it. Really good book and it truly did open my eyes.
I agree. It is a classic.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Oh hell I've given some terrible gifts to women before. Nothing so bad that they refused it, but they've told me that it wasn't what they liked or wanted. That's why I keep the receipt, so I can take them to the place I bought the item and turn it into something they like, or get my money back to spend it in a different way.

The problem is with me, is I never ask or hint at something I might like, because I've never really wanted a whole lot. I've been like this my entire life, when my parents had to sit me down and force me to tell them what I wanted for Christmas and birthdays. I'm just not use to receiving gifts, because I've never really wanted.

But, it really is the smallest things that make me happy. It would be really nice to meet and date a woman who had some idea of how to cook things that didn't come from a microwave. I've ranted about this before, but it'd be so nice to not have to cook every single night or be forced to get fast food because she doesnt know how to start a damn stove.
Lol my goodness Prince. Maybe you are meeting women in the wrong places. To be honest guys really are just that simple. Always know you are worth wanting something special that puts a smile on your face. Even if it's a damn home cooked meal . The right woman for you will not only hear you out on this but will ask you what she can do as a bonus to make you smile. That'll be the woman for you. Hell even if she doesn't know how to cook, she can learn.

I don't think that's too much to ask at all.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
How about a thread about the positive aspect of relationships ?
How well has someone you dated treated you?
Could be tangible items, romantic dates, fun dates, maybe something they say or act, etc.

For example, I know someone that dated a guy that bought her flowers every week for 6 months.

It occurred to me at that point (I would NEVER buy ANYONE flowers every week for 6 months), that different people have different behaviors for courting/dating.

I also wondered at that point if I didn't do as much compared to the next guy.

So ladies and gentlemen, what are some things you do for someone you are dating just to let them know you are interested/put a smile on their face?
Back in the olden days when I dated, lol, I once waited in line during the 1979 gas shortage/crisis for 4 hours to put gas in the pickup truck of a guy I was dating.

He was at work and dreading having to wait in line when he got off, so I lifted his keys and took the truck from his work parking lot

He was very pleased and surprised!

https://www.google.com/search?q=1979...w=1280&bih=685

Old 08-10-2012, 11:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Back in the olden days when I dated, lol, I once waited in line during the 1979 gas shortage/crisis for 4 hours to put gas in the pickup truck of a guy I was dating.

He was at work and dreading having to wait in line when he got off, so I lifted his keys and took the truck from his work parking lot

He was very pleased and surprised!
That's so sweet

I took my exes car and had it professionally detailed and bought him rather expensive new tail lights and installed them for him as a surprise for his birthday. He got irritated that I drove his car without his permission (he says I drop the clutch which is bull) and then grilled me on all the products they used to make sure they were 'correct' and weren't going to hurt the car. He then took apart the tail lights to make sure I installed them properly. I'm a mechanic for god sake, I think I can install a tail light.

One day I'll find a guy who appreciates the things I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships