Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 08:14 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,637,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
I don't really know about the minding her own business bit. It sounds like your sister is a weak person who is being controlled by a man who picked her precisely for that reason. I'd say don't stress about it, but don't close her out either. If she doesn't listen to your advice fine, but be there is she reaches out to you. Really her husband sounds like he is the one with the problem.
One should never ever stick one's nose into the marriage of another person; suspected violence is the only exception I can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 08:48 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,831,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
One should never ever stick one's nose into the marriage of another person; suspected violence is the only exception I can think of.
Had a friend who's family thought this. She's dead now and her husband is serving time. Involvement should happen, whether or not they choose to listen is on them. Involve yourself and then back out when you've done all you could.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post
Had a friend who's family thought this. She's dead now and her husband is serving time. Involvement should happen, whether or not they choose to listen is on them. Involve yourself and then back out when you've done all you could.
Are you unaware of the definition of the word violence, or the word exception?

Old 08-18-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Are you unaware of the definition of the word violence, or the word exception?
I appreciate your condolences first. Secondly, I read everything that you wrote. The family only believed he controlled her mentally and emotionally so they stayed out of it. Mental and emotional abuse often leads to violence. What is the point of being a smart ass when talking about such a delicate subject? Fall back...seriously.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:27 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,361,738 times
I didn't wait until I was older to distance myself from my sister, I started it when I was about 5 years old. I never liked her a child or as a teenager. I have only seen her a handful of times in the past 20 years and have no plans on every seeing her again. I have no conception of why people waste their lives (as adults) being around siblings they actively dislike. Life's too short for that.

If you don't like a sibling and they really bother you, don't see them. Problem solved. All this "well, blood trumps everything" is errant nonsense.

And for the OP: your sister's marriage is none of your business. Unless the husband is beating your wife or engaging in violence, you need to completely distance yourself from getting into their affairs. MYOB on anyone elses domestic life.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,474,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowtree2222 View Post
well what’s worst is now she's pregnant and she’s an idiot really- she called me saying "i think i'm pregnant- what do i do?" LOL WTF???? GET A PREGNANCY TEST> shes so retarded. but she asks me all this questions like an idiot. then she always repeats what i tell her.. for example i say: i went to the zoo. she'll say: so you went to the zoo?
OMG drives me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT TO DO??? and her husband is so obnoxious when we see each other. he takes over the conversation and he's so authoritative.. its pisses me off.
but i guess in the back of my mind is- i feel bad for her- she obviously needs help. but then again- talking to her makes me mad.
I didn't see anything in your posts that would make you hate her. And you and she simply don't know how to carry on a conversation but when you say "I went to the zoo", exactly what do you want her response to be? Maybe you should tell her what you want to hear back, do you want her to say "oh", or "that's nice" -- or should she just say nothing? To me it sounds like she's just trying to keep a conversation going and you're just picking apart everything she does.

I think you just have to decide to cut off all contact with her if you despise her so much and think she's so far beneath you.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:45 AM

To the OP: As you see there are so many opinions and seemingly everyone believes their way is the right way. The truth is we are all different with a different set of circumstances. Do what makes you sleep best at night. No one has to live your life but you. Only you know what is best for you. I do wish you the best and just know that I do understand your frustration. Take care

Old 08-18-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post
I appreciate your condolences first. Secondly, I read everything that you wrote. The family only believed he controlled her mentally and emotionally so they stayed out of it. Mental and emotional abuse often leads to violence. What is the point of being a smart ass when talking about such a delicate subject? Fall back...seriously.
I am not obligated to extend you condolences. I don't even know whether anything you have posted is even true. (That extends to everything posted online of course.)

People here pull the "emotional abuse" card far too many times; there is nothing in the OP's post that says her sister is being abused. This is just another way to bash men. Next up, let's all start speculating that her husband is a sociopath.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I am not obligated to extend you condolences. I don't even know whether anything you have posted is even true. (That extends to everything posted online of course.)

People here pull the "emotional abuse" card far too many times; there is nothing in the OP's post that says her sister is being abused. This is just another way to bash men. Next up, let's all start speculating that her husband is a sociopath.
^^^ This post proves your obnoxiously gross need to be right. Maybe if you were more secure with yourself the world would not be so black and white to you. Must be awful scary in that world of yours. Nothing else to say to you....I've moved on.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 AM

18,432 posts, read 34,246,129 times
As a younger person, my sister and I were like night and day and she upset me to no end. Now, as we get older and I am 38 and she is 52, she may just be my best friend. When I was much younger she was outright mean to me. There has always been a bit of a jealousy factor, as i was the youngest and from a different father. My parents had more money than my mom did as a single mother with she and my brothers. With this said, I got a lot more 'things' growing up than they did.

I think it took until about last year for her to realize I was a child then, and I was not going to refuse my parents buying me things. I have been the spoiled brat for most of my life, even though in all of my adult years, life was never this way. I may be coming into it a bit now, as my SO treats me very well, etc.

Now, my sister is very happy for me and sees that I am with a much better man who treats me well, in comparison to an abusive man for many many years.

I am a silly and goofy person and she always tells me I am weird. Well, she has been holding it in all these yeArs, because in the last year or so, she has also become a goof and we are goofy together.

Now, I see much more of our mother in us both, and sometimes when I sit there and drink coffee with her I just want to cry, because I look at her and the way she talks, and some of her ways and she is transformed into my mother before my very eyes, who I have been missing since before her death....

Hopefully one day OP will be able to come together with her sister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships