Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 06:21 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,358 times

Advertisements

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when a couple of these posters have to be separated from their phones for more then 5 minutes. I wonder if they'd go through withdrawal or just spontaneously combust?

I have a group of friends who volunteers together twice a month. Then we go out for drinks afterward. Phones come out if we need to research something ('cuz you know, we're old and can't remember stuff ). Otherwise we start to ask the person who's more interested in the phone than the conversation if we are boring them. If you're just going to spend the whole time texting, tweeting, on FB, why bother going out at all?

Old 08-17-2012, 06:27 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Its called active listening. In a group setting there usaully multiple conversations going on anyway, people are drunk, and its loud. as long as you keep participating in the conversation then i don't find it rude.
NO NO NO, that is not at all what "active listening" is. In fact what you describe is the opposite of this technique. Where did you go to school?

Old 08-17-2012, 06:28 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I'd love to be a fly on the wall when a couple of these posters have to be separated from their phones for more then 5 minutes. I wonder if they'd go through withdrawal or just spontaneously combust?

I have a group of friends who volunteers together twice a month. Then we go out for drinks afterward. Phones come out if we need to research something ('cuz you know, we're old and can't remember stuff ). Otherwise we start to ask the person who's more interested in the phone than the conversation if we are boring them. If you're just going to spend the whole time texting, tweeting, on FB, why bother going out at all?
We're not just sitting there like robots texting lol. It's similar to how you guys do, usually I pull out my phone to show sports scores, new pictures etc. when I'm out I don't hold full fledged conversations, people usually text asking where I am, how's the crowd, things like that.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:31 PM

11,865 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yeah.........as in Jocelyn Wildenstein.
lulz. That's just wrong.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:33 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,296 times
It's a form of narcissim when you think about it...to think that you're that damned important you have to be contactable at all times.

For what?

Old 08-17-2012, 06:36 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
It's a form of narcissim when you think about it...to think that you're that damned important you have to be contactable at all times.

For what?

Well, I did text my friend from the grocery store earlier to ask what a girl has to do in this town to turn a head since the short skirt wasn't doing it. So much for the myths about meeting someone in the produce aisle!

Old 08-17-2012, 06:41 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Super annoying. So unattractive.
This is exactly how I'd describe the whole texting while someone's talking to you thing, personally.

The guy was a jerk, though. Glad you dodged that bullet!

Old 08-17-2012, 06:51 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
NO NO NO, that is not at all what "active listening" is. In fact what you describe is the opposite of this technique. Where did you go to school?
Um yes it is. While I'm looking at phone I can still answer people's questions, keep the conversation flowing, ask questions as well. I'm not saying "huh", "repeat that" or "excuse me". People can do more than one thing at a time, you know?

Old 08-17-2012, 06:53 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Super annoying. So unattractive. Way to let the girl know you're crazy.

Unbelievably this has happened to me several times. The last time was at a pub style place a couple of blocks from my home, out with my roommate. These dudes were sending us over rounds of drinks. As I got up to go the bathroom, I thanked them, whatever. Came back and one of the dudes was actually really interesting, cute and non-creepy so when they stopped me I started talking to them. Eventually one of them grabbed my roommate too to join us. We're having a good time, getting tipsy. One of them starts dominating the conversation with me, which I found annoying but whatever he seemed ok. Muscular, guido-ish, attitude. I notice he is slowly getting more obnoxious and he's kind of giving me some attitude as I'm getting a little colder. Meanwhile I'm texting several people as usual.

Then he tries to grab my phone, basically demands to know who I'm speaking to, and accuses me of being a b****. How can you just meet someone and try to grab their phone??? How ridiculous. Crazy alert. So I basically continue ignoring him. Eventually he leaves, but not without throwing rolled up napkins on me on his way out.

I wish I could say this is the first time I just met someone out and they demand to know who I'm speaking to or why I'm on the phone. None of your business! I really cannot understand male behavior.
I haven't read the other replies but here's my take. When you allow men to buy you drinks, they feel you are obligated to them to provide something in return, attention mainly. I would be a bit more judicious about who buys you drinks and how many. Standing up and saying "ok, it's my shout now" lets men know you are not going to use them and you're not there simply for their pleasure and amusement. You take some of that power back and they treat you better.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:08 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
It's called "face-to-face" communication for a reason, people. Eye contact is the only way for the other person to firmly establish you're listening to them, especially if they barely know you. Plus, noting the other person's body language and facial expressions really helps to make your conversation more effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships