Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 02:19 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Do you think its a coincidence that wives are much more likely to bring their older friends around their husband instead of younger ones?
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
No, I'm insinuating that the wife believes that. It's definitely no coincidence that females are less likely to bring their single friends around their husbands. Thats one thing I noticed.
Don't confuse your world/experiences with how normal, healthy married couples are behaving. That's outside your sphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
for that particular graph they probably didn't ask anything. probably just counted how many unsolicited messages were sent to people at particular ages

compared to most of the writers on this subject, to me they seem very rigorous in their analysis and use large, high quality data sets

the main site is here and has many, many such graphs: OkTrends

the blog is a good read for anyone who likes both math and sexing. my bet it is written by a bunch of hot geeks
I think the first thing that needs to be determined, if any intend to generalize, are the demographics of the men sending the messages and the demographics of the women receiving them. I have a few fake accounts on these sites and have received messages without even a pic. In one of them I had a pic of a 3ft midget Santa with a potty mouth and I get messages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 02:20 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Don't confuse your world/experiences with how normal, healthy married couples are behaving. That's outside your sphere.

I think the first thing that needs to be determined, if any intend to generalize, are the demographics of the men sending the messages and the demographics of the women receiving them. I have a few fake accounts on these sites and have received messages without even a pic. In one of them I had a pic of a 3ft midget Santa with a potty mouth and I get messages.
That right there is funny stuff....

Old 08-18-2012, 02:40 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,492 times
Quote:
of course there will be some occasional bad data. but their data source is large and reliable enough to make the effects of the occasional invalid data points negligible

given the rigor of their analysis as well as the caliber of folks they are hiring, i also would guess they preprocess their data to remove obvious invalid datapoints and also take into account the effect of things like this

just off the top of my head, screening out accounts that never reply as well as accounts that only have public domain images would remove a lot of midget santas

their staff has serious math and comp sci cred, i'm sure they've put a lot of thought into these issues

if anyone has seen a more convincing data driven approach than theirs i'd love to see it. and it's light years ahead of most analysis of this subject, which is often just sloppy op-ed type stuff (a la the OP link actually )

Old 08-18-2012, 02:45 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
of course there will be some occasional bad data. but their data source is large and reliable enough to make the effects of the occasional invalid data points negligible

given the rigor of their analysis as well as the caliber of folks they are hiring, i also would guess they preprocess their data to remove obvious invalid datapoints and also take into account the effect of things like this

just off the top of my head, screening out accounts that never reply as well as accounts that only have public domain images would remove a lot of midget santas

their staff has serious math and comp sci cred, i'm sure they've put a lot of thought into these issues

if anyone has seen a more convincing data driven approach than theirs i'd love to see it. and it's light years ahead of most analysis of this subject, which is often just sloppy op-ed type stuff (a la the OP link actually )
I don't know - the thing is - I have a feeling that data from online dating sites isn't always going to be representative of how people respond to others in the real world. Online - you can put your age preferences. In real life - you just meet and see people. It's a totally different thing. Like I said - I'm 36. In real life - men would probably give me a chance that wouldn't online because in real life, I don't wear my age plastered to my forehead. In the same vein, I have a feeling that online, shorter men with great personalities probably have a much harder time than they do in real life.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:50 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:

I'm not saying the data is bad for what it is. I'm sure midget santa outliers are a small piece of the pie. I just don't know what demographic is represented by members of a free online dating site. Or the behavior online period. Some CD men here would like to think it's everybody, which is par for the course when it's obviously not, but the question has to be posed in the name of intellectual honesty. Further, I don't think the data is valuable. I don't think it has any real impact. What people want online is a far cry from what they manifest offline. The latter matters, the former really doesn't as far as I can tell.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I don't know - the thing is - I have a feeling that data from online dating sites isn't always going to be representative of how people respond to others in the real world. Online - you can put your age preferences. In real life - you just meet and see people. It's a totally different thing. Like I said - I'm 36. In real life - men would probably give me a chance that wouldn't online because in real life, I don't wear my age plastered to my forehead. In the same vein, I have a feeling that online, shorter men with great personalities probably have a much harder time than they do in real life.
they don't only go by what people report. they prefer to go by what they observe

for instance, many men might say he is looking for 20 - 25 but then actually message a bunch of 30 year olds. that would be an important observation. they have the data to make such observations, and as far as I know are the only entity making such data even slightly accessible to the public

of course there are still weaknesses. for instance, what is the correlation between who people message and who they actually go on a date with?

however to me it's much more compelling than all the anecdotes people tend to offer up either about dating online or IRL

online dating is becoming more and more common. my guess is that in ten years, it will just be another part of "real" dating, rather than considered something separate like it is now

i do feel that behavior pursuing people online and IRL is somewhat different. the online things seems like some sort of weird distillation of what people want that in some ways, makes people seem more shallow

but nevertheless i think there certainly is a strong connection between what people really want and how they online date. so i find strong analysis of it very interesting

Old 08-18-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Further, I don't think the data is valuable. I don't think it has any real impact. What people want online is a far cry from what they manifest offline. The latter matters, the former really doesn't as far as I can tell.
it's certainly valuable in a purely monetary sense. these sites leverage it and make a killing

as far as "deeper" value... i don't think many people under thirty make such a sharp distinction between how they act online versus offline. eventually the dating pool will only consist of people who have grown up with this stuff at their fingertips. i think CD makes a much bigger deal of this online/offline division actually

even among me and my peers (early 30s), online dating is just another part of being single. totally normal and almost every does or has done it. not some huge big deal worthy of page after page of debate like it is here

i'm sure that's even more the case for the generation younger than me that has just started to date. they can't even remember a time before the internet

Old 08-18-2012, 03:06 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
they don't only go by what people report. they prefer to go by what they observe

for instance, many men might say he is looking for 20 - 25 but then actually message a bunch of 30 year olds. that would be an important observation. they have the data to make such observations, and as far as I know are the only entity making such data even slightly accessible to the public

of course there are still weaknesses. for instance, what is the correlation between who people message and who they actually go on a date with?

however to me it's much more compelling than all the anecdotes people tend to offer up either about dating online or IRL

online dating is becoming more and more common. my guess is that in ten years, it will just be another part of "real" dating, rather than considered something separate like it is now

i do feel that behavior pursuing people online and IRL is somewhat different. the online things seems like some sort of weird distillation of what people want that in some ways, makes people seem more shallow

but nevertheless i think there certainly is a strong connection between what people really want and how they online date. so i find strong analysis of it very interesting
I never did online dating - but from what I gather on CD - I feel like it really limits people. I'm not sure I ever would have met my husband based on our profiles. It seems like it forces you to have checklists and parameters - whereas in real life you might just meet someone and hit it off even though they weren't anything like what you thought you wanted.

I think the data gathered from these sites can be interesting - but trying to say when a person is the most physically desirable seems not only impossible to really measure but of no consequence in any shape or form.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:45 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
I'm not saying the data is bad for what it is. I'm sure midget santa outliers are a small piece of the pie. I just don't know what demographic is represented by members of a free online dating site. Or the behavior online period. Some CD men here would like to think it's everybody, which is par for the course when it's obviously not, but the question has to be posed in the name of intellectual honesty. Further, I don't think the data is valuable. I don't think it has any real impact. What people want online is a far cry from what they manifest offline. The latter matters, the former really doesn't as far as I can tell.
I couldn't read your post. I'm still laughing about midget Santa outliers.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:52 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
I think the peaks are about the same for both, although if I were to only draw on my HS graduating class men appear to let themselves go earlier and easier.
Oh man... last night I went to a local bar in my hometown (I NEVER go out in my hometown, it's pretty trashy) because a friend of mine's band was playing. I saw at least 5 guys I went to High School with and wow...they all looked like they were in their 40s or older. I absolutely couldn't believe these guys were still in their 20s! Even the few girls I saw there that I knew were my age looked really bad...leathery skin, fake blonde hair, a little meth-y.

I left for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships