Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:48 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Why did you go back?

That is rape.
Oh, no. He was just handsy. He's not that type of guy at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,835,374 times
Never have and never will use it for manipulation purposes, nor would I accept that treatment from a man.

If I want something or am upset about something, I speak up. If I am upset with my man, depending on the situation, of course I'm not having sex, but it's not for manipulation purposes.

Rarely have I turned down sex from my man.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:07 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
ive never done this and I don't think I'd be pretty effective because I'm not a woman but for the most part women who do this it's for power and to get what they want. It almost ALWAYS works though

That is the way it is perceived by the man. But I would bet you a gazillion dollars that that is not her intent. My bet is that she does not want sex because she perceived her emotional needs are not being met.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:12 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Actually my father cut my mother off when I was a kid (I overheard the arguments and pleading, got filled in years later by my mother). It was a power game for him, from what I can tell. He liked having her feeling bereft, I think - made him feel like he was winning. Then when I was a 21, he ended the marriage rather spectacularly by cheating on her.

He's a diagnosed narcissist - it makes for a terrible husband. Surprisingly good dad, though.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Actually my father cut my mother off when I was a kid (I overheard the arguments and pleading, got filled in years later by my mother). It was a power game for him, from what I can tell. He liked having her feeling bereft, I think - made him feel like he was winning. Then when I was a 21, he ended the marriage rather spectacularly by cheating on her.

He's a diagnosed narcissist - it makes for a terrible husband. Surprisingly good dad, though.
Wow he was actually diagnosed as a narcissist or did he self diagnose?
Btw, it should not surprise you that he was a good father if he is a narcissist.. To him you are a part of him and if he believes himself to be esteemed above others he would likely indefinitely treat you well bc you have his DNA. From my understanding this is true in most cases.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post
Wow he was actually diagnosed as a narcissist or did he self diagnose?
Btw, it should not surprise you that he was a good father if he is a narcissist.. To him you are a part of him and if he believes himself to be esteemed above others he would likely indefinitely treat you well bc you have his DNA. From my understanding this is true in most cases.
Their marriage therapist diagnosed him and told my mother he would never change.

Actually, I do not share his DNA, but I was a daddy's girl right from the get-go, so I don't think it ever made a difference. It's kind of funny - he sucks at anything involving emotional intelligence, but he's always had my back for the important stuff. Even if I might have had to give him instructions - "THIS IS WHEN YOU HAVE TO ACT LIKE A DADDY!" was a common refrain in my life.

He is my personal rock, but I've lived my life asking myself, in cases of moral quandary, the question "Now what would Pop do in this situation?" and then opting for the opposite action.

He's found an equally narcissistic woman (the person he cheated on my mother with) and for the past 15 years they have had an open relationship. It's really bizarre, but they are happy.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Their marriage therapist diagnosed him and told my mother he would never change.

Actually, I do not share his DNA, but I was a daddy's girl right from the get-go, so I don't think it ever made a difference. It's kind of funny - he sucks at anything involving emotional intelligence, but he's always had my back for the important stuff. Even if I might have had to give him instructions - "THIS IS WHEN YOU HAVE TO ACT LIKE A DADDY!" was a common refrain in my life.

He is my personal rock, but I've lived my life asking myself, in cases of moral quandary, the question "Now what would Pop do in this situation?" and then opting for the opposite action.

He's found an equally narcissistic woman (the person he cheated on my mother with) and for the past 15 years they have had an open relationship. It's really bizarre, but they are happy.
Wowza. My apologies for making the assumption you all were blood. Narcissists are nothing to play with.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:04 PM

442 posts, read 615,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That is the way it is perceived by the man. But I would bet you a gazillion dollars that that is not her intent. My bet is that she does not want sex because she perceived her emotional needs are not being met.
I agree.

Do people actually make dramatic announcements about cutting off sex? Neither of us will make the moves on each other if we have an unresolved issue...sometimes that might be a day, I think the longest was 2 weeks. Then one of us usually gives up.

In a relationship I see withholding sex as no different than withholding other sorts of interactions such as affectionate gestures, talking etc.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post
Wowza. My apologies for making the assumption you all were blood. Narcissists are nothing to play with.
LOL, I didn't even KNOW we weren't related by blood until I was in my 20s. It's the normal assumption, ya know? No apology needed for that at all.

Yeah, narcissists are pretty devastating. One of his dearest friends in the world once commented to me "I think he loves you, me, my husband [his best friend and - fascinatingly - the most ethical and moral man I know] and my sister. The rest of the world doesn't really signify."

That's pretty much the truth of it. I will say though that he makes for a rather powerful ally. Maybe that's their evolutionary purpose?

Old 08-20-2012, 12:23 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I cut my ex when I had enough of me begging him for some and getting nothing. Then once in a while he'd want to and I'd deny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships