Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:16 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Ha, i looked at this list, and i think i pretty much do everything on the bad side of the list.

I do 2 or 3 things on that list too. Who cares? Nobody's perfect...I know two people out of works with Ph.D's, one them is/was a very successful executive. I don't have a Ph.D and I have a full time job. So the economy doesn't care about LM's little list on how people should conduct themselves. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I do 2 or 3 things on that list too. Who cares? Nobody's perfect...I know two people out of works with Ph.D's, one them is/was a very successful executive. I don't have a Ph.D and I have a full time job. So the economy doesn't care about LM's little list on how people should conduct themselves. LOL.
Nice dig

It is not MY list, just one I read and agreed with, so I copied and pasted it to try to help some folks here.

In addition, it is not a list telling anyone what they "should" do.

It simply lists the things people who are successful in life and relationships are doing, and those things that unsuccessful people tend to do.

Some people here are totally clueless about life.

They waste their time creating thread after thread about how unfair life is, never quite getting what they are doing wrong or could be doing differently.

They are their own worst enemies.

And they all make me very sad because I know no one cared enough about them to teach them the things they needed to know to navigate this world more successfully.

Will this list help everyone? Of course not.

But it may help a few folks here, and that's what really counts

Old 09-10-2012, 11:09 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Without reading the entire thread, I'm pretty sure where this is going. The OP laid out some pretty sound rules and the nitpicking begins. "But I'm the exception." "Well, I know someone who lived that way and his life turned out like crap." "I tried living that way and look what happened."

I realize that there are exceptions such as chronic diseases or acts of God. But, for 99% of us, the rules laid out pretty much apply.

To me, the most apparent common thread among unsuccessful people is this: The inability to understand how their own actions and attitudes have contributed to their unhappiness, compounded by their inability to make fundamental changes in how they approach the world.

In a nutshell, if you bounce from one loser to the next, then really examine why you are so attracted to losers. If you lose one job after another, you might want to examine your work habits rather than just blame a series of incompetent and venal employers. If you can't get a steady date on Saturday nights, you might ask the question, "Well, would I date me?" If you feel you don't have the right skills to improve your professional life and make you more marketable, then perhaps you should start working towards that end.

Hey, everybody has screwed up royally in their lives at one time or another. None of us live perfect lives. To me, then, the ability to analyze one's mistakes and really rectify one's approaches in life becomes the key determinant of future happiness.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Without reading the entire thread, I'm pretty sure where this is going. The OP laid out some pretty sound rules and the nitpicking begins. "But I'm the exception." "Well, I know someone who lived that way and his life turned out like crap." "I tried living that way and look what happened."

I realize that there are exceptions such as chronic diseases or acts of God. But, for 99% of us, the rules laid out pretty much apply.

To me, the most apparent common thread among unsuccessful people is this: The inability to understand how their own actions and attitudes have contributed to their unhappiness, compounded by their inability to make fundamental changes in how they approach the world.

In a nutshell, if you bounce from one loser to the next, then really examine why you are so attracted to losers. If you lose one job after another, you might want to examine your work habits rather than just blame a series of incompetent and venal employers. If you can't get a steady date on Saturday nights, you might ask the question, "Well, would I date me?" If you feel you don't have the right skills to improve your professional life and make you more marketable, then perhaps you should start working towards that end.

Hey, everybody has screwed up royally in their lives at one time or another. None of us live perfect lives. To me, then, the ability to analyze one's mistakes and really rectify one's approaches in life becomes the key determinant of future happiness.
Bravo! I might as well request the thread be closed down now

You said a mouthful with this...

The ability to analyze one's mistakes and really rectify one's approaches in life becomes the key determinant of future happiness.

When people stop fighting this message and truly take some personal responsibility for where they find themselves, their lives can be infinitely better

Old 09-10-2012, 12:22 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Most people don't need a website to tell them to take personal responsibility. I think that's most people problem with stuff life this. However on the flip side why don't they fix their problems. Humans are lazy.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:33 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
I agree with the list. I can safely say I used to have a lot of the traits on the bad side. It wasn't until I hit rock bottom and woke the hell up did I start following the traits on the good side.

You are responsible for your own actions and your own life and how you handle things. Only you have the power to let people affect you. Everything starts from within and goes from there. I know it sounds cheesy and cliche as hell. But I was an absolutely miserable person, blaming everyone and everything for my situation. It wasn't until I took responsibility and did something about it, did my life get infinitely better, and I am so much more happier for it. Had I not been happy with my life, I might not have attracted the new job, or the BF. You get back what you give in.

Unfortunately, I know quite a few people, including some family members who are still living and following the traits of the bad side. So I try to avoid these people. Before I didn't see anything wrong with them, but now my eyes are wide open. I can't stand negativity and complacency in people anymore and mind you, I was the most negative and complacent person going. It almost makes me want to apologize to the people who had to put up with me.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I agree with the list. I can safely say I used to have a lot of the traits on the bad side. It wasn't until I hit rock bottom and woke the hell up did I start following the traits on the good side.

You are responsible for your own actions and your own life and how you handle things. Only you have the power to let people affect you. Everything starts from within and goes from there. I know it sounds cheesy and cliche as hell. But I was an absolutely miserable person, blaming everyone and everything for my situation. It wasn't until I took responsibility and did something about it, did my life get infinitely better, and I am so much more happier for it. Had I not been happy with my life, I might not have attracted the new job, or the BF. You get back what you give in.

Unfortunately, I know quite a few people, including some family members who are still living and following the traits of the bad side. So I try to avoid these people. Before I didn't see anything wrong with them, but now my eyes are wide open. I can't stand negativity and complacency in people anymore and mind you, I was the most negative and complacent person going. It almost makes me want to apologize to the people who had to put up with me.
Woo hoo! Great post!

I'm so happy for you and how you turned things around for yourself, that's awesome

Old 09-10-2012, 01:39 PM

19 posts, read 19,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Got this on my Facebook page this morning and think it could be very valuable info for some here in light of some of the recent threads and posts I've noticed

Successful people Unsuccessful people:

Have a sense of gratitude Have a sense of entitlement

Forgive others Hold grudges (seek revenge)

Accept all responsibility Blame others for their failures (especially the opposite gender)
for their failures

Give other people credit Take all the credit of their victories
for their victories

Compliment Criticize

Talk about ideas Talk about people

Want others to succeed
secretly want others to fail and celebrate when they do

Share information Hoard information and data
and data

Set goals and develop Never set goals
life plans

Embrace change Fear change

Exude joy Exude anger

Continuously learn Think they know it all

Have empathy for the pain of others Laugh when others are hurting

Operate from a Operate from a transactional perspective
transformational perspective
Cute, yet as far from the truth as possible.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta12 View Post
Cute, yet as far from the truth as possible.
Not according to a lot of bright, successful people here

Old 09-10-2012, 02:31 PM

137 posts, read 192,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Forgive others Hold grudges (seek revenge)
Ironically, I'm able to forgive others, but hold massive grudges with myself. I have trouble accepting my failures and beat myself up about it (especially in dating).

I would venture to guess that others that are having trouble may do similar things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships