Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:36 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

So on July 1 after being with my significant other for 6.5 years he meets another guy at a party and falls for him. He immediately starts seeing him behind my back and dumps me for him. He has since dumped that guy and moved on to another guy within the past week.

The problem now? We're on a lease together in a 1-BR apartment. Neither one of us makes a comfortable enough living to afford a 1-BR on our own, so we're stuck together living here both legally and financially. It's been murder being here while he cuddles with other guys in my presence, but after my request he now does not bring any new significant others around when I'm home.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation---living with the person who dumped you? If so, how did you cope? I've spent the past hour crying uncontrollably because every time I see him I'm reminded of how much of a waste the past 6.5 years of my life were. I wanted to get married. He had other plans. Now we see each other daily.

Anyone have any advice on how to make this work? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 11:25 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
If you enjoyed being with him, had good times together, and learned things from being with him, you shouldn't think of it as just a 'waste'.

Some people spend a couple decades or more with someone, then break up - but you cannot really consider it all a 'waste' because a lot of enjoyment was experienced, and living life together was a source of joy or happiness or great moments or a source of love....

so try not to think of it as a waste!

Old 08-10-2017, 08:56 AM

20,762 posts, read 19,968,204 times
I am sorry. That sucks. Is there any way you can live with friends for a while or someone else takes over your lease and you move into a room mate situation? This seems unbearable.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:13 AM

12,856 posts, read 22,021,203 times
That sounds awful. I'm sorry.

Yeah, I was going to suggest the sublet situation. Don't know if anyone would do it in a 1br, and I don't know where you'd go, but I wouldn't want to be in that mess if I were you. How much longer on the lease?

Old 08-10-2017, 11:09 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,152,762 times
Aw, I'm so sorry that happened. BTW, it's pretty outrageous that you would have to ask him not to bring other guys to your shared home (whether or not you are there). Was he always this much of a jerk?

Old 08-10-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Aw, I'm so sorry that happened. BTW, it's pretty outrageous that you would have to ask him not to bring other guys to your shared home (whether or not you are there). Was he always this much of a jerk?
yeah, he sounds like a douche canoe.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:44 AM

130,259 posts, read 12,099,804 times
How long is left on the lease, Be glad you are rid of him, what a jerk, cuddling new people in front of you, this guy shows no class. Focus on yourself & start looking for a new place before the lease ends so you will be ready to move.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:18 PM

1,261 posts, read 971,328 times
Put itching powder in his underwear, Visine in his drinks. Exlax brownies....you know,have some fun.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:17 PM

20,386 posts, read 14,656,708 times
If you don't have the space in your home to keep a certain distance from each other, and if he insists on bringing his new love interests over... One of you needs to move out. You have to find a way to make that work somehow.

I'm very sorry to hear this. I stayed in the house with my ex for about a year after we broke up. I had better luck than he did dating after the breakup, but I kept my new partners away from the house. He invited any woman he was dating over, and I ended up meeting several of them. But I was less emotionally invested in our marriage than he was, so it didn't bother me (I was the one who initiated the end of the relationship.) I knew if I'd tried to bring anyone over, he would have thrown an absolute fit. So I didn't. Besides, I still cared enough about him to not want to hurt him. He on the other hand hoped I would be jealous...some people are spiteful like that I guess. I wasn't jealous, I really did not care. Still, living with an ex is not fun.

Anyways. One of you needs to leave. Figure out a way. There are ways. You need to heal, so that you can see what there is to be learned from the relationship and its ending...that is where the real value is in your experiences, and such are never really a waste. Life is a journey, not a destination, and all that.

Best of luck.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
If you don't have the space in your home to keep a certain distance from each other, and if he insists on bringing his new love interests over... One of you needs to move out. You have to find a way to make that work somehow.

I'm very sorry to hear this. I stayed in the house with my ex for about a year after we broke up. I had better luck than he did dating after the breakup, but I kept my new partners away from the house. He invited any woman he was dating over, and I ended up meeting several of them. But I was less emotionally invested in our marriage than he was, so it didn't bother me (I was the one who initiated the end of the relationship.) I knew if I'd tried to bring anyone over, he would have thrown an absolute fit. So I didn't. Besides, I still cared enough about him to not want to hurt him. He on the other hand hoped I would be jealous...some people are spiteful like that I guess. I wasn't jealous, I really did not care. Still, living with an ex is not fun.

Anyways. One of you needs to leave. Figure out a way. There are ways. You need to heal, so that you can see what there is to be learned from the relationship and its ending...that is where the real value is in your experiences, and such are never really a waste. Life is a journey, not a destination, and all that.

Best of luck.
if two make the decision to stay living together because there is no other way at the moment, it should be a given to not bring a new love interest over. Have some respect and if not, GTFO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships