Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 10:56 AM

35 posts, read 81,132 times

Advertisements

When someone gets outta a relationship of just over a year and then goes into another relationship, is that bad for you or should you cry and pout over your last relationship and feel miserable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 11:00 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,602,935 times
Do whatever you want, it's totally up to you and what feels right for you. I don't think it's bad to go into another relationship right away, nor do I think it's bad to take some time to grieve. No one else can tell you what you need at the time.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:08 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,713,531 times
No they aren't. I don't know where this piece of advice came from but it has no true basis. I know when I left my last relationship, I had mentally checked out a long time before the actual physical leaving. I met my SO 5 months later and almost 8 years later, we're still going strong.

I think it depends a lot on how and why the last relationship fell apart. Maybe if you were the one who was left and you still have feelings for the other person, it may take longer to feel ready to get into another relationship again.

Many rebound relationships last though so don't let this little title stop you from doing what you think is right.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:28 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,970,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBePretty View Post
When someone gets outta a relationship of just over a year and then goes into another relationship, is that bad for you or should you cry and pout over your last relationship and feel miserable?
Not sure why that would be bad. Just be honest with yourself and you'll figure it out.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:34 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,448,129 times
If you can't stop thinking, mourning, wanting revenge, or talking about the past relationship when trying to date someone else, then you're not really ready. Otherwise, you are!

Old 08-25-2012, 01:11 PM

10,931 posts, read 11,688,597 times
Crying, pouting and rebound relationships are optional.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:15 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,832,882 times
Every individual and situation is different. It really just depends. Not so black and white.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:43 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,976,077 times
back in the saddle. sooner the better. just don't be stupid about it

miserable pouting isn't going to help

Old 08-25-2012, 05:11 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,259,266 times
"Rebound" relationships are part of moving on.

Moving on is a sign of healing.

All good.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:17 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,949,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBePretty View Post
IMO, everyone should do the bolded. I think it is a natural human reaction to a failed relationship. Blocking yourself from this human responce IMO is extremely unheathy.

It amazes me how many people say rebounds are 'normal' and healthy.
One poster mentioned they met their s/o 5 months after a relationship ended. I think 5 months post break up is a considerable amount of time to be single.... if you were indeed single the whole time.

I don't understand how a rebound can be anything other than a physical distraction from what is causing you grief and emotional heartache.

Can someone please explain to me how people who use rebounds actually process feelings/connections/and mistakes made from failed relationships while they are busy with the new hottie that scratches that itch they need?
Maybe I analyze things too much, but how does one improve themself/analyze failed relationship when they spend most of time with the new hottie and all the distractions that accompany a new relationship ?
For instance, I have been out of a relationship for 2 months now. It has not been an easy 2 months. I have dated a few women, but only casual dates with abosolutely no intimacy. I have spent free time reading other people's posts on this website, researching information on some of my old hobbies, and processing my previous relationship and it's failures. I want to learn from the mistakes of that relationship. How do people that rebound a lot learn from failed relationships?
I have never really ever had a rebound. The truth is, I could probably use one right now.
But, due to the side affects of my last relationship, I know deep down inside, that I am probably not ready for a genuine relationship yet.
Some people who are in simliair mental status as me may communicate those 'unavailable for LTR' feelings to potential rebound partner. But, even though you may only be scratching that itch with the rebound, there has to still be some level of attachment to the rebound partner which in turn creates a distraction from the thought process of a failed relationship.
I think of a saying

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Applying that saying to relationships IMO means this:
If you engage in a relationship, then after relationship fails, then rebound, then rebound from rebound, then engage in relationship again, then rebound, then relationship, etc, etc... Won't you keep making the same mistakes over and over again?
There is always that person who claims (especially if they are over 30), "I seem to have the worst luck dating. Why can't I just meet one nice guy/gal? " Does that person who has 'bad luck' dating ever think that just maybe, the rest of the world is NOT wrong, and maybe, just maybe, 'bad luck dater' is actually the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships