Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 10:13 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times

Advertisements

In America, social class means just as much here as it does in places like India, at least when it comes to mating. We are very much separated into social classes, in our neighborhoods, in schools, and at work. Churches even have separate groups based on social class, but its not based on parents, its based on how much money you have, or appear to have. EG: A rich person who looks middle class, lives in a middle class neighborhood, drives a middle class car will not be welcomed with open arms at the fanciest Country Club in town. As long as he can pay the cost, they'll let him join, but he'll never be "one of the boys" Same will apply with mating.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:46 PM

382 posts, read 824,902 times
In my experience it matters a lot actually, especially in marriage and even more so if you have children. This is true even if the guy himself is educated but his family and background are not. Values are different, behavior is different many times, interests are different. There are exceptions but this is what I think in general. For example, I may want to raise my child with a focus on education and my husband and in-laws could constantly tell me education is not important and not place the same value on it as I do. It can create a lot of conflict.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:02 PM

506 posts, read 1,160,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divakat View Post
This is true even if the guy himself is educated but his family and background are not.
So, a Harvard educated guy from working class parents would be not accepted by a lawyer/doctor's daughter's family?

Old 08-25-2012, 11:08 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Social class isn't an inherent problem with dating. I can think of only a few times where it can be a problem. One example would be if the income difference between the two partners is huge. It's hard to have a very equal relationship when someone pays for things more thanthe other. Another example could be education differences. It could be hard for example, for a doctor and an electrician to have similar conversations since their jobs are very different education levels are different.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:09 PM

19 posts, read 54,968 times
It matters. It may not matter while you are dating, but eventually when you are married and at each other's throats.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:11 PM

791 posts, read 1,426,059 times
social class matters to those who have a large ego...this includes friends, family, co-workers....whatever the social circle was that brought two people together should work for them....but outside stimulation by others can really put pressure on the relationship....best to inform friends, co-workers, family members and anyone else with an opinion to show respect and keep their mouths shut

Old 08-25-2012, 11:21 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrudaluknglass View Post
i work in a 'white collar field', the guy i am dating is 'blue collar'. He treats me like a queen and is the ideal concept of what i expect a man to be like. however, i am getting a hard time from some of my friends and particularly my family who believe i should "stick to people in my own class" as they say. I believe horrible people come in all social ranks, and have been treated wronged by some of those so called "white collar folks" i was sworn to date since birth. I just want to like someone who likes me for me. but does social class really matter?
Class is defined by money. Blue collar / white collar describes nothing. Go with your gut.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:23 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
So, a Harvard educated guy from working class parents would be not accepted by a lawyer/doctor's daughter's family?
Better. So a Harvard educated lawyer whose father was an electrician would not be accepted by family of lawyers whose daughter is bagging groceries in public?

Old 08-26-2012, 02:27 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,500 times
An amusing thread, so what would your class be if you were in the UK, working, middle or so called posh ?
Profanity and the middle class, damn I am so glad I heard no profanity when playing that sport designed for thugs but played by gentlemen, rugby.

Class is money only, so jimmy bob bob who can barely read wins the large lottery and is then elevated to the top of the classes in the US, rather different from the UK where he would be seen as rich but still working class.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:39 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
You need to tell your family and friends to STHU about it. They aren't dating him. YOU are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships