Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 10:25 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times

Advertisements

This is going to sound rudimentary and cheesy, but here goes:

Well, in the past I have gone out with several guys. It's now been more than one year since I broke up with the last one and while I've enjoyed the time to be by myself and everything, I'm really looking forward to stepping into another relationship. I'm wondering how I can do this? Also, it would be nice if I could make new friends. Basically, I'm asking two questions at once: I want new friends and I want a new partner.

I did go to a site called meetup so I could make new friends, however most of the clubs that involve my interest either have meetups too far away or don't have meetups at all. I know that there are two or three clubs in my area but I've looked and most of the events are just going to restaurants or going to theme parks. I wouldn't mind putting in time through them once in awhile. I looked at the demographics and most of these people are way too old for me (15+ years my senior), working adults that usually have families. They seem like a great bunch but I don't believe we have enough in common.

I joined a gym immediately after my last relationship began to disperse. However, I came to the gym with no goals and not much cash so it grew to be an expensive, repetitive outlet for me. In the past, I met everyone I knew from school or through mutual relationships.

The only suggestion I've gotten is to try to find a job and just befriend people from work (kind of hard, since I can't get hired and I'm probably going to end up doing commissions in a tiny office) and/or go take an apartment at student housing somewhere.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 10:47 PM

192 posts, read 438,547 times
Ever try bowling? Shooting darts or pool? It works, I've gotten more comments and come on's than I wanted!
What part of the country are you in?

T.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:11 PM

19 posts, read 54,984 times
I'm in the same boat as you Elle. The only way you will find someone is if you do something in a place you have interest and stick with it.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoD View Post
Ever try bowling? Shooting darts or pool? It works, I've gotten more comments and come on's than I wanted!
What part of the country are you in?

T.
I was thinking about that. Actually, I began desperately thumbing through various advice blogs and advice columns (all online now) so I could find something relating to my issue. The only problem that was even remotely similar to mine was an 18 year old girl who recently graduated HS and pretty much was in the same boat. She was then told to start taking dancing, "Because you meet a lot of other girls your own age and you have to be closer to a guy that way."

I put that I live in the 626 area code and that services a densely populated portion of Los Angeles known as San Gabriel Valley. That's why I'm pretty surprised that I can't actually find anybody. Before, I was a college student and most of those people only focus on school and work. The counselor told me that such events occur quite often, because people have different schedules and they don't come to school to socialize. Living in LA is disappointing with so many people but no one to be close to. I guess that doesn't have anything to do with it, though. I was reading articles that people end up lonely and old even in the megacities, especially out of America.

It's funny because I was talking to a relative about this awhile back and she said, "Well, just because there's all these people doesn't mean anything. You might not be able to get along with most of them. I'm not sure what to really say because all the people I knew we met in school too, and they met their SOs by chance without hoping to."

I even tried reconciling with a few people from high school and people online but they would either flake out at the last minute or stop corresponding. One of the few friends I still do have mentioned, "Unfortunately, if that's what they're doing, there's not much action you can take. People will keep canceling no matter what. It still happens. Try to talk to people and do things you wouldn't normally do."

Old 08-26-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youcd View Post
I'm in the same boat as you Elle. The only way you will find someone is if you do something in a place you have interest and stick with it.
Wow, I guess we're both in that boat. Well, I better start thinking really hard about something I have interest in.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:35 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
I thought you were interested in a business partner. Oh, you want a boyfriend. Got it.

Yes, partake in activities that interest you. And better "the 626" than "the 909."

Old 08-26-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I thought you were interested in a business partner. Oh, you want a boyfriend. Got it.

Yes, partake in activities that interest you. And better "the 626" than "the 909."
I want both. Anything you'd recommend?

Old 08-26-2012, 03:48 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Go to night school. A different crowd than daytime. I enjoyed art classes for some 25 years and made some great friends, and a few lovers.
I took up scuba diving and joined a couple dive clubs. Many other events with new friends, we had our powder dives (ski trips) we did wine tastings, camping trips, boat trips, bbq's with picnics.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:59 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
This is going to sound rudimentary and cheesy, but here goes:

Well, in the past I have gone out with several guys. It's now been more than one year since I broke up with the last one and while I've enjoyed the time to be by myself and everything, I'm really looking forward to stepping into another relationship. I'm wondering how I can do this? .

You're wondering how you can step in to a relationship? (lol)

That question speaks volumes to your knowledge of how relationships work. There is no easy answer or "how to" instruction manual. It will happen when it happens.

Enjoy yourself and don't try to force it.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
You're wondering how you can step in to a relationship? (lol)

That question speaks volumes to your knowledge of how relationships work. There is no easy answer or "how to" instruction manual. It will happen when it happens.

Enjoy yourself and don't try to force it.
I'm not asking how to perform in a relationship. I'm asking how I can find one. How can I meet new people?

Don't care that it happens, you still have to meet people somewhere. That's the hard part, people don't know I'm looking for them. Not a wise thing to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships