Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 09:23 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
ha

I live in NJ all my life.

Never been to Texas.

Didn't graduate from PSU.

I'm a Cowboys and Penn State fan.

It happens.

That's like saying everyone who lives in a certain place is obligated to like those teams and that makes no sense either. Seeing as nobody picks where they're born.
Why though?

I'm not judging peoples' choices, but it's something that I'd really like to understand.

For example, why does every Irish person around me root for Notre Dame? They aren't really Fighting Irishmen. It's not Gerry bloody Adams coaching them.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:25 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Those people are called "frontrunners"

wrong.

a 'frontrunner' is a person that is like a 'fair weather' fan they change teams to the championship winning team, whoever that is.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:26 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Well, we can rest knowing TVSG will never have a chance to procreate.

I like football.

Translation:

I like football parties.

The more parties I've been to, the more I know about football that season. At parties, I will be totally into the game, I will get back into so I sound like an old pro.

If I'm not with a bunch of people I don't watch games (unless it's my team, and a good season).

"I like football", last year I was busy as heck so watched nothing, nada, zilch. This year first party is planned. Within 2 months I'll be able to "talk" football.

I also like MMA, when my neighbors have a party to watch, I'm totally into it. No party? I don't even know who is fighting.

I do NOT like basketball, or baseball. If I go to a game party, I will spend time doing anything else but watch the game.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:26 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
wrong.

a 'frontrunner' is a person that is like a 'fair weather' fan they change teams to the championship winning team, whoever that is.
I think he means because a lot of people seemed to start liking Dallas and Penn State in the 1990s when they were basically unbeatable.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:28 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
I'm a Houston Texans football fan. It has been a rough time but I've always supported them and I'm glad they are coming around.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:28 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I guess that's a fair point. It's something I can't relate to, I guess. Like, for example, I don't understand why some people like a team that is halfway across the country from them in a city they've never been to. And college football makes no sense to me. If you didn't go to that college, why do you care about their football team?

Some poeple are just fair-weather fans. They like the team who's winning so they always feel good and justified and they don't have to worry about the idea of losing. That happens.

Some people it might be as simple as they like the colors, or a certain player, or there parents moved from that area and were fans of that team. Sometmes, just seeing a sport for the first time and watching a particular team can get you attached.

I live about 5 hours from Detroit and I was a fan of Barry Sanders in the 90s. I live closer to the Colts and I ignore them, even when Peyton Manning was winning 13 games every year for 10 years straight.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:29 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
People are entertained for the two to three hours that a game is on. People may feel happy or sad about the game a few hours after the game. People may even talk about it with their buddies at work the next day. But I don't think people should lose sleep over a game that they had no personal control over.

If your team loses a game in September, NO

But if your team loses a big game in Mid-december then it maybe hard for some to eat or sleep

Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Why though?

I'm not judging peoples' choices, but it's something that I'd really like to understand.

For example, why does every Irish person around me root for Notre Dame? They aren't really Fighting Irishmen. It's not Gerry bloody Adams coaching them.

Why what? It's a sports program. Fans don't pick the places where teams decide to play. So what are people supposed to do that have no 'official' team in their state/city?

Do you know why they're called 'the fighting irish' in the first place? They have a connection to that particular heritage. So it would make sense if Irish people were their fans that doesn't mean every Irish person is though.

Why is notre dame called the fighting Irish

Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If your team loses a game in September, NO

But if your team loses a big game in Mid-december then it maybe hard for some to eat or sleep
Gee, I wonder why you can't get a girl...

Old 09-06-2012, 09:31 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Quote:
Why though?

Probably becaue they have a leprechaun in the logo lol.

Could also be that ND isn't part of a conference, and they have a deal worked out with NBC to televise all of there games, so it's easier to catch them on a Saturday than most teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships