Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 08:38 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,368,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Including kill herself, okay, lovely...

Maybe it carries more weight with me because i was actually there for it last time. Receiving the phone call wasnt fun, neither was rushing to the er uncertain of her condition,...

You know what, im going to say you shouldnt be giving advice on this subject. Thats something completely terrifying to go through, and spending the five seconds typing "its none of your business" just shows your ingnorance of the subject, and is completely irresponsible..

Im pretty set on telling her family of the threats when i do move out, if they continue.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Listen, she is an adult and if she is going to kill herself she will do it. It is not your duty to rescue her. She is your ex; if she wants to sleep with a different man every night and commit suicide and she is set on do it there is really nothing you can do.

You sound extremelly codependent and it does not help her or you; you sound in denial. Google codependency and read about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 08:39 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,686,401 times
Quote:
Including kill herself, okay, lovely...

Maybe it carries more weight with me because i was actually there for it last time. Receiving the phone call wasnt fun, neither was rushing to the er uncertain of her condition,...

You know what, im going to say you shouldnt be giving advice on this subject. Thats something completely terrifying to go through, and spending the five seconds typing "its none of your business" just shows your ingnorance of the subject, and is completely irresponsible..

Im pretty set on telling her family of the threats when i do move out, if they continue.

There are protections in place for suicide attempts. Usually handled by hospital, county or city where the attempt took place.

So there is still no reason for you be in the pictures. None at all.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:42 PM

Codependency (or codependence, interdependency ) is defined as a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as in an addiction to alcohol or heroin); and in broader terms, it refers to the dependence on the needs of or control of another.[1] It also often involves placing a lower priority on one's own needs, while being excessively preoccupied with the needs of others.[2] Codependency can occur in any type of relationship, including family, work, friendship, and also romantic, peer or community relationships.[2] Codependency may also be characterized by denial, low self-esteem, excessive compliance, or control patterns.[2] Narcissists are considered to be natural magnets for the codependent.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,373,354 times
Quote:
Leave the poor woman alone. I can't believe you are tattling on her to her parents. She does not belong to you anymore so step off.
I do understand you and your ex had a special relationship and were together exclusively as teens. This makes it far harder than many here know. I married my HS sweetheart (30 years ago), and we're still married, so I know whereof I speak. These types of relationships are so much more intense than most here can know. So I really do understand your interest in her, but you HAVE to move on. It will be tough, but you must, for your sake. Look out for you now. Best of luck.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:48 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,441,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post

There are protections in place for suicide attempts. Usually handled by hospital, county or city where the attempt took place.

So there is still no reason for you be in the pictures. None at all.
What picture?

When did "telling her family shes threatening to kill herself" before i move out become me "staying in the picture?"

She was committed during the psych eval, stayed for a few days before being released. She had to set up sessions with a psychiatrist and counselor to be released.

She stopped going when we decided on divorce (to marriage counselor as well), and now is threatening again...

What checks are you talking about? There are no follow ups, nobody from the hospital/her docs do check ups...

So, as someone whose been through it - "there are protections in place that handle it" is grossly inaccurate.

All it did was save the hospital from any claims of malpractice...now they can say they "did something."

Old 08-29-2012, 08:50 PM

if she is an adult and she tries to kill herself, other than dialing 9-11 it is not your duty to save her

Old 08-29-2012, 08:52 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,441,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
if she is an adult and she tries to kill herself, other than dialing 9-11 it is not your duty to save her
The question is - should i inform her family of her threats, before i leave the picture?

Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,686,401 times
Quote:
The question is - should i inform her family of her threats, before i leave the picture?

For the 99th time, NO! Get that, NO.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:

if it makes you feel better, do but realize suicide is her choice and her family might not be able to do anything about it.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
For the 99th time, NO! Get that, NO.
I think whether her family know or not, it might not make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships