Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 07:38 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,140,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I suppose it depends on what my competition is for what guy. I'm going after average looking men and the guy I like I can't imagine has many other women interested in him.
I hope he doesn't for your sake, otherwise it's just gonna be a waste of time. I can't help but regret (and I regret very little in my life) wasting effort on these suckers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 07:46 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,191,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMoose View Post
Most of the women in dating sites fit into one of two categories:

1. Party girls who just want a constant string of attention from the hottest guys they can get; and
2. Ex-party girls, often with kids, who now want a guy to marry them and provide financial security long-term.

The only women who don't fall into either of those two categories are women restricted by their environments or lifestyles--i.e., from a small town, or has hectic career hours, or constantly travels. There are a very small number of women who join on a whim or at the prompting of a friend. Those are the best ones, because they don't fit into any of the above categories. They are super rare, though, and may not check their accounts much even when you do find them.
Damn is this what I get for having standards? I only wish that the type of person I'm looking for wasn't already taken... Or old...

I sometimes think I was raised for the wrong era.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:53 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,856,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
I hope he doesn't for your sake, otherwise it's just gonna be a waste of time. I can't help but regret (and I regret very little in my life) wasting effort on these suckers.
If he does and he's interested in someone else (not likely but you never know)and not me I am done with dating. I struck out online, at singles groups and just in general. I'd rather never date then date some of the men who have approached me because these guys were bottom of the barrel: very obese, mentally challenged, dads (often by different moms), etc. I'd be happier with 100 cats then these guys.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
What i am asking is, how good are the women on the market?
I have no idea but from what I understand most are uglier, fatter and have kids. I'm talking women my age. If he's seeking younger I suppose it depends but I never paid attention to the women doing online dating.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
If he does and he's interested in someone else (not likely but you never know)and not me I am done with dating. I struck out online, at singles groups and just in general. I'd rather never date then date some of the men who have approached me because these guys were bottom of the barrel: very obese, mentally challenged, dads (often by different moms), etc. I'd be happier with 100 cats then these guys.
In not so sure about the last part for some reason...

Old 09-30-2012, 07:59 PM

What about my last part don't you get? I get approached by guys I would NEVER in a million years date. I wish I had kept photos of some of them because seeing is believing.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
What about my last part don't you get? I get approached by guys I would NEVER in a million years date. I wish I had kept photos of some of them because seeing is believing.
I understand, i just think the two things are more or less equal.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:11 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,752,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I do believe I am done with this online dating crap. You send a few messages back & forth ask to meet them & that's the point of it right? To meet someone to see if there is anything there?? So what gives why the heck join one of these sites & not tend to move forward???? At least people in bars/clubs will walk up to you or your able to walk up to them.. This is like peeing against the wind you can do it but it doesn't do a lot of good. I'm not pefect & I can admit that but geesh give a guy a chance.
Anyone else have this problem?

Yes this is another online dating bites thread.
Reed, perhaps it's that you aren't giving the women the impression that you're a special guy. I dated online for 8 years, had TONS of success, and met she who is now my wife online. Online dating is for special people who are seeking the same. If you make yourself out to be a special person and you make it obvious and detailed what you are looking for, you'll do just fine. If you're the outdoorsy type who wants a real woman who likes staying physically fit and isn't into drama, the ladies are going to go to the next profile because you haven't made yourself appear special. Figure out what, about you, makes you markedly different from the other guys on the websites you use, and use that stuff to "sell yourself". In my case, for example, I made it very clear that I wanted a woman who was still a virgin because I was still a virgin... intending to save that for marriage because I'm a Christian man. Immediately, I'm different from the other guys on those sites... because most didn't save sex for marriage, and most of those who are still virgins are embarrassed about it.

Maybe you should try specialty online dating sites too. Those "big-box" sites like match.com and eHarmony are crap. I met my wife on an obscure site called TallPersonals.com... for tall people and those who love them.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:20 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,197,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Reed, perhaps it's that you aren't giving the women the impression that you're a special guy. I dated online for 8 years, had TONS of success, and met she who is now my wife online. Online dating is for special people who are seeking the same. If you make yourself out to be a special person and you make it obvious and detailed what you are looking for, you'll do just fine. If you're the outdoorsy type who wants a real woman who likes staying physically fit and isn't into drama, the ladies are going to go to the next profile because you haven't made yourself appear special. Figure out what, about you, makes you markedly different from the other guys on the websites you use, and use that stuff to "sell yourself". In my case, for example, I made it very clear that I wanted a woman who was still a virgin because I was still a virgin... intending to save that for marriage because I'm a Christian man. Immediately, I'm different from the other guys on those sites... because most didn't save sex for marriage, and most of those who are still virgins are embarrassed about it.

Maybe you should try specialty online dating sites too. Those "big-box" sites like match.com and eHarmony are crap. I met my wife on an obscure site called TallPersonals.com... for tall people and those who love them.
Congrats! And good job staying true to your principles.

I was determined NOT TO SETTLE. And I was determined that my profile would show what was unique and special about me - without being cheesy. For instance, I am not overweight, but I'm not slim. I put CURRENT, full length pictures of myself on my profile - doing natural stuff like roughhousing with my dogs, hugging my mom or dad, laughing with my kids, and I put the date the photo was taken. I put LOTS of photos up - and was very clear that I love to travel, and am most interested in people who loved Europe and antiques and serious books, etc etc - in other words, if you're not into this stuff, you're wasting your time contacting me.

It worked - and I had a lot of fun.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:24 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,695,548 times
A lot of the men go onto the sites with 'pre-set' ideas about the women who use the sites. One man had the nerve to start telling me about 'well the women that usually use dating sites are XYZ' -- yet he's on the same site looking to get dates from women. Also many of them were balding, fat and had no jobs but wanted to knock the women on there. they're nothing but hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships