Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 11:20 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,934 times

Advertisements

I have to disagree with Stan4. Maybe hotness is subjective as is unattractive. But I've known plenty of attractive men(by my own standards) that were with women that raised a lot of eyebrows for a lot of people. I dated a guy in HS(very very briefly--he had some issues LOL) who was very attractive. When we broke up, he dated this girl that everyone said looked like a mouse. They were married, and divorced 2 years ago. He is now with a girl who is very overweight at the top, and has flat bottom, she has a cute face though. Once again I've had friends(who still hang out with him) chime in about this new girls "awful body".

And there are several other examples I have. I do sometimes wonder when I see very attractive men with women that aren't as attractive. I will say that in some cases, there can be some dynamics going on in that particular relationship that others don't know about that may shed new light on why that attractive man or woman is dating someone that seems below their "league" (so to speak). For instance a friend of mine that everyone said looked ugly in HS married a VERY attractive tall, muscular handsome man(who had always gotten girls without trying. He was controlling, abusive, narcissistic, and a deadbeat. Going back to the example of the guy I dated in HS, he dabbled in drugs when I was dating him, and was constantly getting in trouble in school, also had deep rooted issues with a mom(his mother was a crackhead).
Truthfully I have so many examples of men that settle down with women that aren't as attractive as he is, that makes me wonder how true it is about men being very looks-focused. I mean I know it happens. But I personally know many men that dated "hotties" in HS and even in college, and then went on to settle down with women that for all intent and purposes were either plain Janes or not very attractive. In terms of attractive women dating unattractive men--same thing as above. I have one friend in mine, that is extremely pretty(she is a model) and some of the guys she dates(her current BF for instance) are not very attractive. I'm not sure what it is...

Last edited by sunkisses87; 08-29-2012 at 11:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 11:22 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's amazing what a good personality and being a man that engages and listens will do I find women are far more lenient on looks than men are.
I don't know why some of the guys here find this so hard to believe. There are superficial women out there, and superficial men. But when it comes to partnering for life, character and personality are what see the relationship through thick and thin. At least, that's how many women think.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:08 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
I think pheromones and personality are important.

A guy can be unattractive and still appear uber attractive to a lady who's vibing off of his own unique pheromones.

A handsome man does not always attract women all equally the same. Personality, and how the guy treats others (integrity) can also be indicative of how he will treat her. Even if his personality is smooth and charming, some women will find it phony, others will not. Depends.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:24 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
I have to disagree with Stan4. Maybe hotness is subjective as is unattractive. But I've known plenty of attractive men(by my own standards) that were with women that raised a lot of eyebrows for a lot of people. I dated a guy in HS(very very briefly--he had some issues LOL) who was very attractive. When we broke up, he dated this girl that everyone said looked like a mouse. They were married, and divorced 2 years ago. He is now with a girl who is very overweight at the top, and has flat bottom, she has a cute face though. Once again I've had friends(who still hang out with him) chime in about this new girls "awful body".

And there are several other examples I have. I do sometimes wonder when I see very attractive men with women that aren't as attractive. I will say that in some cases, there can be some dynamics going on in that particular relationship that others don't know about that may shed new light on why that attractive man or woman is dating someone that seems below their "league" (so to speak). For instance a friend of mine that everyone said looked ugly in HS married a VERY attractive tall, muscular handsome man(who had always gotten girls without trying. He was controlling, abusive, narcissistic, and a deadbeat. Going back to the example of the guy I dated in HS, he dabbled in drugs when I was dating him, and was constantly getting in trouble in school, also had deep rooted issues with a mom(his mother was a crackhead).
Truthfully I have so many examples of men that settle down with women that aren't as attractive as he is, that makes me wonder how true it is about men being very looks-focused. I mean I know it happens. But I personally know many men that dated "hotties" in HS and even in college, and then went on to settle down with women that for all intent and purposes were either plain Janes or not very attractive. In terms of attractive women dating unattractive men--same thing as above. I have one friend in mine, that is extremely pretty(she is a model) and some of the guys she dates(her current BF for instance) are not very attractive. I'm not sure what it is...
I suppose one reason might be they met get tired of all the attention their hot spouse is getting, maybe less chance of infidelity because of less temptation?

Old 08-30-2012, 09:30 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times
i think men realize how much of a PIA very attractive women can be and thats why they settle for women that arent as attractive but have better personalities. I think people in general the older they get realize that money, financial status, attractiveness dont matter in the long run especially when you can potentially spend decades married to the same person. It just matters whether you can stand the other person and if there personality is a match for you.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:10 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Ive seen alot of.thst as of recently. Plent of average to below average women with above average guys in looks.
I find it interesting this seems to have become a recurring theme in this thread. As mentioned, perhaps it is a regional thing but I find couples tend to be pretty evenly matched when it comes to physical appearance. Very rarely do I see a couple in which one is far more attractive than the other-whether it be the man or the woman.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:09 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,739 times
something tells me they are not as important to them as they are to men, but i do think they are more important than most men realize

Old 08-30-2012, 02:19 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Well, I can tell you that if you aren't physically attractive to women, there is no door to walk through.

Best way to put it.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I find it interesting this seems to have become a recurring theme in this thread. As mentioned, perhaps it is a regional thing but I find couples tend to be pretty evenly matched when it comes to physical appearance. Very rarely do I see a couple in which one is far more attractive than the other-whether it be the man or the woman.
I saw it all the time where I was from, since financial security is more important than physical attractiveness there, but not so much here on the West Coast, at least not so far as I have noticed. I see alot of mixed race couples but attractiveness levels are rarely hugely out of sync.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:25 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Well, I can tell you that if you aren't physically attractive to women, there is no door to walk through.

Best way to put it.
Not if you want to spend a lot of money on her. So money makes up for the looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships