Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:03 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Maybe if someone is a 25 year old female Mormon there is "pressure to marry." I sure don't see it anywhere else.

Why would this be an issue? I met my husband when we were both 16 and we wisely didn't get married till age 29. Sure, people asked about it, I just responded, "it's none of your business when or if we get married." They settled the matter.

No one can feel pressure to get married if they don't care about what others say or think.

Exactly.

It's like I said above, anyone feeling pressured to get married is not even close to be ready to be married.

Marriage is for grownups

And no, this should not be read as me saying you are only a grownup if you get married!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 12:06 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Lots of people make stupid a** choices based off of what others "think" or feeling pressured. Those people normally tend to be weak-mind and those marriages often times end in divorce. Dont make life decisions based on others comments. Tune them out.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspective1 View Post
Haha I have found the reason why there are so many unhappily married people. ALOT OF THEM NEVER WANTED TO GET MARRIED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I should be a marriage counselor. *sarcasm*

Anyway, this is why you see people marrying so young. For example, if you have been with someone since high school and you are now 25, people constantly question, "why haven't you gotten married? You two have been a couple for 7 years and you are not getting any younger." So now, at age 25, even though you are young, you feel pressure to marry because these are comments you hear all the time. Anybody who has been in a relationship for more than a year gets asked these questions, young or not. If you have been in a relationship for a long time, people criticize you for not marrying the person. You cant just be in a relationship with someone for 10 years and live with them and not marry. Society might not be able to stand you. The horror!

If you do not marry by 30, people view you as a loser. My 30th birthday is in a couple months. I have people constantly telling me I need to settle down, I am getting to old to be single, I need to have children, what's wrong with me, etc.
When you go out on dates, people think to themselves "if he is such a catch then why hasn't he gotten married by now?".

If you choose not to marry and your friends do, then you are in a bad situation. Once your friends marry, they will quit talking to you and they definitely wont have time to spend with you so then you end up lonely. After college age years, it is hard to make new friends because people do not open themselves up easily and the older you get the harder it is to find someone single who has time to put into a friendship.

Now, let's say if you are a woman who says she never wants to marry. That's ok for you to say that. People will assume it is because you have been hurt by a lot of men and you are no longer able to trust. Now, if a man says he does not wanna get married, he will be harshly critcized. People will assume he wants to be a womanizer his wholelife, he is immature, and afraid of commitment.

I find it comical that some people run aroud saying " marriage is not for everyone" but as soon as an individual states they do not want to marry, they won't let the person be. They have to try to convince the person that marriage is not as bad as they think.

Maybe in Indiana, not the case in California. A lot of people stay single well into their 30's. In fact, I grew up in SF and a lot of people never get married at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships