Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you date a smoker?
No 197 66.11%
Yes 58 19.46%
Depends (explain) 43 14.43%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 11:56 AM

105 posts, read 199,865 times

Advertisements

No way. It's a total dealbreaker for me at this point in life.

I have in the past- and I graduated from "social smoker while drinking" to the occasional cigarette while sober while he was smoking.

I'm sensitive to the smell, so no way would I want it in my life. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 12:02 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
BF is a smoker but he is trying to quit. If it wasn't for the fact that he is perfect in my eyes otherwise, I might not overlook it.

However, he has the courtesy to never smoke in my house and knows he can't kiss me unless something else has replaced the cigarette breath.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:09 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
i wouldn't want to but i unfortunately am.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:32 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Default I only now have realized...

Recently how it is for non-smokers with smokers. I smoke, My GF does not and she is a doll. I had about 3-4 in the course of an hour out to dinner yesterday to boot. You gals must really feel strongly about a man to end up overlooking it and I know it now. This is a good thread. I have gum at home too...maybe i should get chewing.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:37 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post
Haha! No I didn't even know makers mark made cigars. I myself don't smoke an have no interest in it, but I'd be lying if I said men smoking cigars on the slight occasion did not turn me on. However, oh my goodness I did not realize they were just as bad for you as cigarettes. After reading all of these comment I looked into it and they say they are just as bad as cigarettes. I must admit if I fell in love I would work on my hunny putting smokes away all together eventually. Health is very important. For some reason I thought cigars were pretty safe.
Eh, if you only smoke cigars occasionally I really don't think they're that bad. I'm sure your chances of dying from something caused by cigars are lower than your chances of dying in a car crash on your way to the tobacco shop.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:59 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
Yeah...I mean no one is perfect...

Old 09-01-2012, 06:01 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
No. Sorry, but that stuff smells.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:55 AM
oka

1 posts, read 1,095 times
NO WAY!

Absolutely not.

If my spouse started smoking, they have two options: 1) quit or 2) divorce.

Sounds harsh, but.... anyone who cares about me and our family wouldn't put us at such risk of lung cancer.

Second hand smoke is way too risky for our health. And, it simply stinks.

I don't care if someone smokes in their own home. Their lungs, their life, their choice.

But, I would never date or marry a smoker, and I can't spend time with friends who smoke.

I refuse to let their life choice-- smoking -- give me lung cancer and the other dire effects.

I've seen several people succumb to lung cancer, and it sucks. I'm not chancing it, and refuse to be around it.

Aside from lung cancer and terrible effects of second-hand smoke, and wrinkles, and yellow teeth, the smell of smoke destroys property value. It destroys the value of a car. It makes clothes reek. It makes hair reek. It's just nasty. Like I said, someone who isn't around me can do whatever they want-- so long as it doesn't harm me.

Now, if someone drinks alcohol, eats twinkies, or whatever that doesn't harm me, fine. Smoking harms people with second hand smoke. Drinking (unless a violent drunk or driving), at least, or unhealthy eating by another person wouldn't harm me. I also wouldn't date or marry someone who took extreme needless risks in other areas, such as excessive drunkeness regularly, or speeding through lights or texted while driving, or, in general, a person who didn't value our families' and their safety above all else.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:57 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Complete deal breaker. Doesn't matter what else is great about the person. NO SMOKING. I can't stand it.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:44 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,135 times
No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships