Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 12:44 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Lighten up people. The point is... would you make a life-time investment in something you did not have 100% experience with. (There is really nothing comparable to marriage-divorce-dividing of assets-if it doesn't work out)

There are all sorts of scenarios you can't predict, though. You can't know 100% how children will change your marriage, or illness, or unemployment or a significant change in finances. Every relationship is so individual and complex--why reduce it down to "this is the best way"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 12:45 PM

271 posts, read 532,085 times
I tend to think less of people who let archaic traditions define their relationships. It's a character flaw.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Quote:
Lighten up people. The point is... would you make a life-time investment in something you did not have 100% experience with. (There is really nothing comparable to marriage-divorce-dividing of assets-if it doesn't work out)
Does anyone ever have 100% experience with someone? Also, does having 100% experience mean you must live together to be certain you have that 100% experience?

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
Totally different topic-- but we have a couple friend that are moving from Latin America-- from a country in which they have many very close friends-- here to NY. The wife is having a very difficult time adjusting because her best friends are all back 'home' and she's not sure she can adjust without them. This baffles me-- for me, as long as my husband is with me, I'm happy and we both know we can adjust to anything.

I've lived abroad with my partner before and had similar struggles with missing friends and my general support system. I love my SO--he is my best friend and true partner. That doesn't mean he's my sole source of friendship, support or entertainment.

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yes, well some people see their significant others as being more important than their cars and houses. I understand that you place most things above your girlfriend (you've told me so in other threads) but in my life, my husband and my family come first. You don't even want to get married.
Things change. That is not the case anymore. I place nothing above her well being. That is different from the point of this thread though.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:48 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
I tend to think less of people who let archaic traditions define their relationships. It's a character flaw.
Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

Neither side is right or wrong. Just dont judge me if I want to cohabitate, dont believe in marriage, dont like kids, and whatever other heinous acts I inflict against tradition. You can stay in your corner and I'll stay in mine.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:48 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Things change. That is not the case anymore. I place nothing above her well being.
You just said a house and a car were more important than a person...

Old 09-07-2012, 12:50 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Yes...and I did.
Because I knew there would be no surprises.

I knew him as well as I was ever going to know him before we married. I knew where he stood on finances, child-rearing, religion ..etc. I knew how he brushed his teeth, I knew that he wasn't a slob, I knew how he liked his coffee, I knew he snored (I did travel with him), I knew everything I needed to know in order to make an informed decision. There were no surprises when we got married and started living together. Just becaues I didn't sleep in his bed every night doesn't mean I lacked any opportunity to know him better.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:51 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
You just said a house and a car were more important than a person...
No, I didn't. I just said they are more important. I didn't say what they are more important than did I? Test driving a car or inspecting a house is more important than getting to know your girlfriend or boyfriend. Get that squared away then you're fine. You would have recognized what I said it was more important than if you just followed what I was quoting about and what the quote was quoting about.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:52 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
It was the greatest experience. We lived in Latin America for a few years, made some of our best friends while there, learned a new language, and still visit annually at least. We only just recently sold our home there. We have since moved here, which is still 600 miles from where our parents live, but in a way (and for us), I think being on our own, away from familiarity and only having each other and our cats, the moves have made our relationship all the more stronger.

Totally different topic-- but we have a couple friend that are moving from Latin America-- from a country in which they have many very close friends-- here to NY. The wife is having a very difficult time adjusting because her best friends are all back 'home' and she's not sure she can adjust without them. This baffles me-- for me, as long as my husband is with me, I'm happy and we both know we can adjust to anything.
I'm with you. I LOVE moving...I'm actually quite itchy right now to move. We've been in our house 8yrs, that's the longest we've been in one place and it's driving me crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships