Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose? You could have as much money as your heart desires or a chance at true love?
I'm a woman and I choose a chance at true love 39 22.54%
I'm a woman and I choose as much money as my heart desires 35 20.23%
I'm a man and I choose a chance at true love 34 19.65%
I'm a man and I choose as much money as my heart desires 65 37.57%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 10:35 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times

Advertisements

The money. I would rather be able to better secure my sons' futures than give myself the giggly fuzzies. I had my chance, now comes theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 11:08 PM

17,708 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Without hesitation, I'm taking the money.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:15 PM

17,708 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I have no need to think deep. I'm retired, I planned well for my retirement. I'm not rich but I have sufficient funds to live the same or better lifestyle as when I was working, and I have 7 days a week time off to enjoy my life.
The question is worded so that if you choose the true love option, you will live an average lifestyle. Your current finances should not be taken into account. If you choose love, you're also choosing an average lifestyle.

Also, the question isn't worded in a way where you can't ever find true love if you choose the money.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:47 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,159 times
True love.

I’m making more money than I know what to do with this year. And no, it’s not millions or even hundreds of thousands! It’s coming in handy this year to pay for the wedding, two week honeymoon on Oahu and hopefully paying off what’s left on a car payment. I’ll also be giving my grandma about $10k-$12k of it to help her financially, which is something I’ve always wanted to do. If I make another $20k than I’m already supposed to make, I might give her more than that and pay a few bills for her myself so she can avoid the BS gift tax (come and get me IRS!). So money doesn’t matter that much to me.

And I don’t have to work that crappy, decaying job anymore, anyway. As long as I have enough money to support myself without having to work that again, I don’t really care.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:53 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The question is worded so that if you choose the true love option, you will live an average lifestyle. Your current finances should not be taken into account. If you choose love, you're also choosing an average lifestyle.

Also, the question isn't worded in a way where you can't ever find true love if you choose the money.
I guess I'm too tired and should go to bed. This forum section is just so entertaining it's hard to pull the plug.

I live an above average lifestyle, I'm retired and I don't have to work. (But I do work.) I want whatever choice I pick to keep my lifestyle and take my chances on finding true love.

Oh, that's funny. I already have that. And I just started looking for love in the right places.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:29 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Money...

Kids and future comes first in my priority. After that.... I live a modest lifestyle and have never had trouble finding someone. With money comes less resting on my shoulders and more time to focus on other things... including finding love.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:38 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
The poll says a CHANCE at true love while the money is guaranteed. This means the woman could turn tail and bounce at any time. The money is guaranteed and you may still accidentally stumble upon love.
This part right here is important, and applies to the other half of a pairing as well. This is the part that many people forget in a relationship and then are left scratching their heads when the relationship peters out.

Being with someone is a choice. 'I choose to commit myself to you over all others.' That commitment is based on both parties being drawn to one another, and so it is important that each person in a relationship feels that pull. Sometimes a person will feel like, well, now that we're in this thing together, I can stretch out my legs and take five. And then they keep doing that, and after a while the distance builds and before you know it it's over.

Yes, it's a choice - just as it should be. There are no permanencies in love. To have love in life one has to be lovable to their partner. It seems so simple - pity that in reality it's actually a lot more complex. Which is why so many struggle and even fail at ever finding this elusive 'love.'

Old 06-03-2018, 06:41 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
In my younger days I wanted the true love. Now in my 40’s, I will take the money.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:11 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
Show me the money. Love is just a four letter word.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:29 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
This part right here is important, and applies to the other half of a pairing as well. This is the part that many people forget in a relationship and then are left scratching their heads when the relationship peters out.

Being with someone is a choice. 'I choose to commit myself to you over all others.' That commitment is based on both parties being drawn to one another, and so it is important that each person in a relationship feels that pull. Sometimes a person will feel like, well, now that we're in this thing together, I can stretch out my legs and take five. And then they keep doing that, and after a while the distance builds and before you know it it's over.

Yes, it's a choice - just as it should be. There are no permanencies in love. To have love in life one has to be lovable to their partner. It seems so simple - pity that in reality it's actually a lot more complex. Which is why so many struggle and even fail at ever finding this elusive 'love.'
That was really good, and eye-opening. I think it explains the struggles we have all felt at times in finding the right relationship or person. It's not the other person/variable, we have to look at ourselves!

I was thinking how it seems I'm not really necessary around here (my situation). My SO has become so set in his ways and used to being single that he planned his whole day out, and none of it seemed to involve me. So some would say: Good! Make the most of it, do your own thing. I've been single just as long-- if not way longer, but I felt like if I have a SO, that should be a different lifestyle. I was doing my own thing on my own...so...lots of thinking to do.

It has nothing to do with money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships