Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:59 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
?

Uuuuh nope. I am saying that if most men want to get laid then it makes sense why they don't want to get married and are commitment phobic.

Interesting read

Why Won't Men Commit? - CBS News
So you are saying that men only want to get laid the therefore don't want to get married? Is that your stance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 11:01 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
What is with this continuing notion that men are unemotional beings that run from commitment, and only desire to be with a different, warm body every night?

Guys may not talk about relationships with their peer groups, or read sappy romance novels. They may like to have tough image. However, many, many men do like and appreciate relationships, marriage, and commitment to the woman they love.

It doesn't make it universal. There are guys who just want to party. However, ultimately, I do not see too many men who live their whole lives with no desire for love, partnership, or commitment (whether or not they marry or want marriage).

Old 09-07-2012, 11:19 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So you are saying that men only want to get laid the therefore don't want to get married? Is that your stance?
Not my stance personally. As I have shared before, I do not support promiscuity. Same reason why I have been the one who normally says “no” to sex regardless of a woman being hot, in great shape, seductive, etc. I’ve shared some experiences before on that. Didn’t you tell me before that guys were not even disagreeing with the thread? My stance is that men, not women, are known to be commitment phobic for all kinds of reasons that I don’t necessarily agree with all of them. Can’t deny that it is women, generally speaking, dream about their proposal, wedding, being married, etc. since they are little children, not men.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:24 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
We had been living together for 3 years, so I told him I didn't care if we actually tied the knot, but he better put a diamond on my finger.

He got me the ring and married me anyway. Go figure.

Last edited by TheImportersWife; 09-07-2012 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-07-2012, 11:25 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Not my stance personally. As I have shared before, I do not support promiscuity. Same reason why I have been the one who normally says “no” to sex regardless of a woman being hot, in great shape, seductive, etc. I’ve shared some experiences before on that. Didn’t you tell me before that guys were not even disagreeing with the thread? My stance is that men, not women, are known to be commitment phobic for all kinds of reasons that I don’t necessarily agree with all of them. Can’t deny that it is women, generally speaking, dream about their proposal, wedding, being married, etc. since they are little children, not men.
So - to try to get to the point - you are saying that men don't want to get married - they just want to get laid. So therefore, it is women who initiate marriage because they've dreamed of it all their lives. Is this your opinion?

Old 09-07-2012, 06:47 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
What is with this continuing notion that men are unemotional beings that run from commitment, and only desire to be with a different, warm body every night?

Guys may not talk about relationships with their peer groups, or read sappy romance novels. They may like to have tough image. However, many, many men do like and appreciate relationships, marriage, and commitment to the woman they love.

It doesn't make it universal. There are guys who just want to party. However, ultimately, I do not see too many men who live their whole lives with no desire for love, partnership, or commitment (whether or not they marry or want marriage).
From my (rather limited) experience a lot of guys like to screw around until something 'clicks' and then they want to marry the first girl they 'fall for'.

I've known one or two players that all of a sudden had a change of hear and were married within a year. I suppose it's just the luck of finding a man who is marriage minded at the right time.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:04 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Men may still mostly propose, but is it still mostly the woman who initiates marriage? E.g. suggests it, pressures him.etc. I'm not suggesting most or just after his money or something, but is it mostly the women who want to jump in quicker? Of course it depends on the person and I'm generalizing, but I mean marriage, especially these days, is popular as ever and it still seems conventional for the man to propose...my guess is that most of the case it's not 'out of the blue' and it's something the couple has been talking about it for awhile. What annoys me is when women complain 'why won't he just ask me already?' Like she's pressuring him to propose so they can have the fairytale wedding and fairytale marriage.
I don't think so. I see many men eager to get married nowadays.

My husband and I dated for four years before he proposed, we were in no rush, after that we waited another two years to tie the knot. I had several boyfriends propose to me before him, and I wasn't even dating them that long and marriage wasn't even on my mind.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:47 PM

382 posts, read 824,628 times
Not for me. My husband was the one who did the pressuring to get married. Eventually I caved

Old 09-07-2012, 08:54 PM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Men may still mostly propose, but is it still mostly the woman who initiates marriage? E.g. suggests it, pressures him.etc. I'm not suggesting most or just after his money or something, but is it mostly the women who want to jump in quicker? Of course it depends on the person and I'm generalizing, but I mean marriage, especially these days, is popular as ever and it still seems conventional for the man to propose...my guess is that most of the case it's not 'out of the blue' and it's something the couple has been talking about it for awhile. What annoys me is when women complain 'why won't he just ask me already?' Like she's pressuring him to propose so they can have the fairytale wedding and fairytale marriage.
So, how many women have actually said that to you?

My ex begged me to marry him. Had his neighbors talk to me...his mom...definitely his idea. You are making a mistake if you think that marriage is usually the woman's idea.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:04 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Women let it be known that they're looking to get married, some give ultimatums. It's mostly the men that propose the marriage. Women are not in any position to force grown as* men to marry them. If the man decide he doesn't want to be married, he should leave her then -- instead they do the usual: marry her, then blame the woman for their own actions. Nothing new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships