Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 06:39 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
I realize that, but I don't understand why. I mean, what guy realistically wants to be with the same aging woman for years and years? Is that fun? I get tired of chicks after like 9 months so I can't even imagine being with the same woman for like 15-20-25 years. Pure insanity.

Btw, I'm almost 30.
Age is a state of mind

We KNOW you don't understand it - you have made that abundantly clear.

Again, you are not "there". You may never get there - but many men do eventually come to a level of understanding and comprehension on this desire at some point in their adulthood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 06:42 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,918,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
We KNOW you don't understand it - you have made that abundantly clear.

Again, you are not "there". You may never get there - but many men do eventually come to a level of understanding and comprehension on this desire at some point in their adulthood.
I can see the benefits of having a life mate when you're like 65+ and have already accomplished everything you wanted to accomplish and want to sit back and relax, but up until then, it just seems like a bad deal. Btw, I never said I'm against dating or anything; I'm just against committing so much time, effort, and energy into one person for such a lengthy period of time.

However, if I can find a chick who's okay with an open relationship, I'll probably sign up.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:50 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
I realize that, but I don't understand why. I mean, what guy realistically wants to be with the same aging woman for years and years? Is that fun? I get tired of chicks after like 9 months so I can't even imagine being with the same woman for like 15-20-25 years (especially if her looks are fading). Pure insanity. Have you taken a look at what the average 50+ year old married woman looks like? lol
She typically looks better than the average married 50 year old man and probably the average unmarried 50 year old man for that matter (women care for their health and looks at greater rates). Anyhow, it comes down to desiring family (with or without children) and depth of a relationship. Most of my male friends are in their thirties and earn in the 6 figures and all are married. Most are recently married (within last 5 years) and are having a good time. They're a different breed-high functioning, fulfilled, positive people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Well, you're in for a long long lonely life.
Little does he know.

Quote:
I can see the benefits of having a life mate when you're like 65+ and have already accomplished everything you wanted to accomplish and want to sit back and relax, but up until then, it just seems like a bad deal. Btw, I never said I'm against dating or anything; I'm just against committing so much time, effort, and energy into one person for such a lengthy period of time.

However, if I can find a chick who's okay with an open relationship, I'll probably sign up.
You will get back how much you give. That's typically how it goes in life. Why do you think all men should hold your pov? That's kind of bizarre and immature on your part. People are pretty diverse.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
She typically looks better than the average married 50 year old man and probably the average unmarried 50 year old man for that matter (women care for their health and looks at greater rates). Anyhow, it comes down to desiring family (with or without children) and depth of a relationship. Most of my male friends are in their thirties and earn in the 6 figures and all are married. Most are recently married (within last 5 years) and are having a good time. They're a different breed-high functioning, fulfilled, positive people.
1. They haven't been married long enough. Check back in 10 years when the newness has officially worn off.
2. Of course they appear to be having a good time. No one is going to walk around looking miserable even if they are miserable.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:57 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Who cares, though? Great, so they have some extra money, but at the end of the day, a married guy is still going home to his aging, and often out of shape, wife while his single counterparts are down at the bar enjoy the company of the hot chick the married guy was eyeing down last week.

Having extra money as a guy means nothing unless chicks come with it. You could give me $100 million right now, but if I can't use that to get new women, it's pretty much useless.
Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

This is the best example of "sour grapes" I've seen in a while.

Yes, bachelorhood is just one night of hot chicas after another!! Whatever ...

One scroll down this very forum will disprove that dream.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This might be the best post you've ever written
The whole thing ... yep.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
1. They haven't been married long enough. Check back in 10 years when the newness has officially worn off.
2. Of course they appear to be having a good time. No one is going to walk around looking miserable even if they are miserable.
It's folly to assume they are a kin to CD mad men. One predictor of a happy marriage is prior being a happy single. You can't assume the outcome a negative single would have when married, which would likely be poor, on positive people. It doesn't work that way. The men who are negative and miserable on this forum, for example, will likely remain so (single or married). Perhaps not fair, but that's how the cards fall.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Well, you're in for a long long lonely life.
You act like dating, friends, and family don't exists.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
You act like dating, friends, and family don't exists.
It depends on your social class. If you are of higher SES, dating will significantly slow down because people in your age group will be marrying (25-30). Friends will be less available because they have their own families to tend to. And your own family may be getting on with their own lives (retiring and moving to better climates, less expensive areas, etc). Life changes. That doesn't mean you should do anything differently. I'm just speaking from experience and it seems to be a part of life.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
It depends on your social class. If you are of higher SES, dating will significantly slow down because people in your age group will be marrying (25-30). Friends will be less available because they have their own families to tend to. And your own family may be getting on with their own lives (retiring and moving to better climates, less expensive areas, etc). Life changes. That doesn't mean you should do anything differently. I'm just speaking from experience and it seems to be a part of life.
That's the thing. I'm of higher socioeconomic class based on upbringing/education/etc, but my wants, preferences, and desires don't align with those of my socioeconomic class. For example, I'll be hanging out with a bunch of blue collar northeast Philly types during Irish weekend down at the NJ shore in a few weeks lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships