Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times

Advertisements

...I'm in no way physically attracted to this girl. And she likes me as well, and is perhaps more invested affectionately towards me than I am towards her.

I like this girl a lot. We are connected on so many levels and it seems like we are an ideal match. I have attempted to make myself feel physically attracted towards her, but that hasn't worked out so well. We have tried dating, nothing too overblown. I was hoping that my lack of physical attraction would give way to my deeper feelings about who she is as a person (kind, sweet, generous, caring, etc.). We kissed last night and I just did not feel it. In fact, I was almost repulsed by it. And it's not because I'm not attracted to women; I know for a fact that I am. It's that I'm not attracted to certain physical qualities that she possesses. If this sheds any light on the situation, she looks very much like her father. Her body is great, but her face looks like her father's in such a way that it's hard for me to get past.

I feel awful at this point. I feel like I've taken this to a point of no return. I don't want to lose her friendship, but I feel like there may be no other choice.

I don't want to tell her that I'm not physically attracted to her, that just seems so brutal to tell another person, particularly a vulnerable girl. What are your thoughts? Do you think I need to just walk away from this relationship? Do you think that it's no longer salvageable at this point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 12:27 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,678 times
Sexual compatibility is essential.

I'd go with "I'm really focused on my career right now and it's not fair to you if.."
Or, "I'm moving to Jerusalem.."
Or, "Look, I love you, but I'm not 'in love' with you..."

Old 09-10-2012, 12:27 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
...I'm in no way physically attracted to this girl. And she likes me as well, and is perhaps more invested affectionately towards me than I am towards her.

I like this girl a lot. We are connected on so many levels and it seems like we are an ideal match. I have attempted to make myself feel physically attracted towards her, but that hasn't worked out so well. We have tried dating, nothing too overblown. I was hoping that my lack of physical attraction would give way to my deeper feelings about who she is as a person (kind, sweet, generous, caring, etc.). We kissed last night and I just did not feel it. In fact, I was almost repulsed by it. And it's not because I'm not attracted to women; I know for a fact that I am. It's that I'm not attracted to certain physical qualities that she possesses. If this sheds any light on the situation, she looks very much like her father. Her body is great, but her face looks like her father's in such a way that it's hard for me to get past.

I feel awful at this point. I feel like I've taken this to a point of no return. I don't want to lose her friendship, but I feel like there may be no other choice.

I don't want to tell her that I'm not physically attracted to her, that just seems so brutal to tell another person, particularly a vulnerable girl. What are your thoughts? Do you think I need to just walk away from this relationship? Do you think that it's no longer salvageable at this point?

Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt!

Look, it happens.

I applaud your sensitivity. You are obviously a good person and don't want to hurt someone else because of something neither of you has any control over. Good for you.

The fact is, you just can manufacture chemistry between two people - it's either there or not.

I know it's hard when all the other things have lined up so perfectly to just walk away when the chemistry is not there - but you really have to.

Hopefully you can convey to her how great you think she is and how much you really hope to continue the friendship. But do go ahead and let her know now that you just aren't feeling it before she becomes any further invested.

Good luck.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:42 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,343,376 times
Yeah, tell her now and don't lead her on.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:52 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,467,349 times
Perhaps you can tell her the truth in a way that's not offensive. Something like, "I truly like you and think we're very compatible, but after that kiss the other day I am very disappointed that I'm not feeling any chemistry between us."

Old 09-10-2012, 12:53 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
As LM says, you can't manufacture chemistry. Tell her that it's an issue of chemistry - which does not necessarily mean you find her unattractive. (I remember one ex saying to me after our first (and very successful) kiss: "Oh thank god, I was worried we wouldn't have that 'spark' - you can never tell if it's going to be there or not.") But chemistry is chemistry.

I do think however that if you do feel a connection with this woman you may eventually find her attractive. I realize guys are more "visual," but on more than one occasion, I have come to be attracted to a man after I got to know him, even if I found him unattractive initially. Your brain glosses over the imperfections.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:54 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Perhaps you can tell her the truth in a way that's not offensive. Something like, "I truly like you and think we're very compatible, but after that kiss the other day I am very disappointed that I'm not feeling any chemistry between us."
I like this approach.

It's never easy to let someone down. No matter how hard you try, they are likely to feel rejected.

But this is the least hurtful, honest way to go

Old 09-10-2012, 12:59 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
There is no way to not hurt her feelings if she is invested in the relationship. That is the unfortunate byproduct of breaking up. Still, you don't have to be insulting. I like the "no chemistry" tactic. It's still not going to be taken by her as ideal, but it is the truth. You just don't feel the sparks of attraction you need, despite being very compatable in other areas.

Sorry it's not working out for you!

Old 09-10-2012, 02:52 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,270,045 times
Why are you dating a woman you're not attracted to in the first place?

Old 09-10-2012, 02:57 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Why are you dating a woman you're not attracted to in the first place?

He was probably berated by feminist rhetoric into thinking looks don't matter.

I say that somewhat satirically, but it's happened to me in the past and I almost bought into it. Thankfully I got smarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships