Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
a coding error will not cause a freinds request to be sent. I have two IT degrees myself, with my BAS being information systems security. Im surprised that another IT person would not grasp these concepts. Your account was either hacked or you came home drunk one night and sent bunch of requests you dont remember, or a friend was over and played a joke on you. Besides who cares if you sent a freind request? whats the big deal?

Its not a big deal for me. These kinds of things are just funny finds for me. But it can add drama for others.
I am surprised that you have two degrees and think as you do. What programming langs are you proficient in? What versions? Length of experience? Certifications? How many years have you been working in the field? Where did you get your degree? Nice typos though btw. You would think at least an IT person would have on auto spell check...

Nope, not a drunky you silly goose. Since you are in IT with two degrees I am sure you know that I could tell my looking at my machine if I came home drunk one night and clicked whatever. I don't add people to that acct at all. It was only one person. Not a storm of people like how the common hackers go usually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
What about FB apps??? Could they be the cause of the friend requests????
The can be a source of a hack so yes. They are generally a security risk. I don't have any of that on my account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 08:50 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Spoken by a person who's a farily prolific poster on C-D.
Where's the difference ?
The difference is how we use a tool- I don't use CD to show pictures of my new car...just to get an ego boost...I try to get a relevant ego boost by at least feeling that I might stumble upon something and say something here that might be useful- that someone has not thought of--that might do some good in the world... The average person can come on CD and have 5000 people listen to what they have to say in one day...That is seed planting and might just bring about some positive change in the long run...so it is not really a waste of time......it sometimes feels like work...

Facebook on the other hand has a certain mark of triviality about it...It's more "socializing" or pretend socializing...If you look at the readership of some smart and contributing members here on CD- they are in the millions over a period of time...Facebook does not have that kind of influence or power...This site is an interconnection of a huge amount of cities....a more intelligent and informative gathering, I guess it is about relevancy...as I got older and slowly squeezed out of the system...I took what every measures were at my disposal to continue to have some sort of positive effect on the world- so here I am- and her YOU are...and we are not on facebook as I write----are we?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
so here I am- and her YOU are...and we are not on facebook as I write----are we?
Actually, yes, I am.
I live abroad and use F/B to keep in touch with friends and family back home, and indeed, scattered across the world.
We chat, we share jokes, and yes, we share pictures.
It's often easier to share a quick "bought a new car" and a picture than send an email or letter.
Sure, it kills the art of conversation, but that's not what's being discussed here

Facebook is exactly the same as any other internet based activity, you get out of it exactly what you put in.

Sure, some updates bore the pants off me, and some I just don't really care about, but that would be no different than if the interaction happened face to face, with the exception that online, I don't have to pretend to look interested in the latest activity of my auntie Nelly's cat, or my cousin's child, who was born the anointed one !

As someone else said, if one friend request can cause drama to your relationship, then it's your relationship that's the problem, not Facebook.
I've used it completely drama free for 4 years now, and can't see any reason to change that.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Those apps will get ya. The only one I allow is Spotify, and even that is set to "me only" such that when I share something, I have to manually go in afterward and decide who gets to see it.

But games, phone apps, "social readers" like apps by HuffPo etc., no way. If you read what they say you are allowing them to do, you'll find that you are giving them permission to make updates for you, glean your friends' information, mine your information, etc. Even on a good day, that's going to generate annoying ads and spam. I can totally see how someone could inadvertently "agree" to allowing an app to send friend requests.
SECURITY ADVISORY: Spotify g_slice_alloc() Buffer ... - The Spotify Community

"This could not only be a minor inconvienience, or simply crash the program, but compromise a users entire system by rooting it, allowing remote access/ remote code execution or whatever the attacker whims. Mitigation: It is suggested that any users with this version of Spotify have ASLR or some Stack Randomizing Scheme active in order to prevent EIP isolation and overwrite.

Exploitation Status: 0day, no PoC"

Not safe. Just saying.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:51 AM

19,715 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post

So before you flip the f out on anyone about friend requests....do you research.

Did someone flip the f out on you?! lol

Old 09-12-2012, 09:57 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Its not a big deal for me. These kinds of things are just funny finds for me. But it can add drama for others.
I am surprised that you have two degrees and think as you do. What programming langs are you proficient in? What versions? Length of experience? Certifications? How many years have you been working in the field? Where did you get your degree? Nice typos though btw. You would think at least an IT person would have on auto spell check...

Nope, not a drunky you silly goose. Since you are in IT with two degrees I am sure you know that I could tell my looking at my machine if I came home drunk one night and clicked whatever. I don't add people to that acct at all. It was only one person. Not a storm of people like how the common hackers go usually.

The can be a source of a hack so yes. They are generally a security risk. I don't have any of that on my account.
Oh no, an IT person made typos... dude, get over yourself. Nobody cares. if you dont like facebook and feel its so much drama and such a threat to you, then dont use it. yawn

Old 09-12-2012, 10:04 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
I'm interested.

I don't know anything about computers and only use FB sparingly, but why/how would a coding error cause friend requests to be sent to some but not all of your "mights"??? How is it picking and choosing who to send to?

And why would someone get upset that you sent a friend request?

Old 09-12-2012, 10:20 AM

19,715 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I'm interested.

why/how would a coding error cause friend requests to be sent to some but not all of your "mights"???
Maybe she created the coding error on her own account.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Oh no, an IT person made typos... dude, get over yourself. Nobody cares. if you dont like facebook and feel its so much drama and such a threat to you, then dont use it. yawn

I don't really. Yawn. Nice creds sheet there though.
You would think someone interested in security would find these things equally amusing and also fill in on other FB issues. Hmmm.

ps. Typos during coding...bad neeeeeeeeeeeeews

Last edited by Opsimathia; 09-12-2012 at 11:38 AM..

Old 09-12-2012, 08:18 PM

37,616 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
a coding error will not cause a freinds request to be sent. I have two IT degrees myself, with my BAS being information systems security. Im surprised that another IT person would not grasp these concepts. Your account was either hacked or you came home drunk one night and sent bunch of requests you dont remember, or a friend was over and played a joke on you. Besides who cares if you sent a freind request? whats the big deal?
I am an IT geek as well. All too familiar with the "I swear I didn't do anything" users.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships