Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 03:30 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,599,803 times

Advertisements

First off, it's perfectly fine to date a co-worker at my company. There are lots of married couples and people in relationships who work there and this particular guy is not my superior and doesn't work directly with me at all.

So yeah, this guy who I see in passing from time to time came up to me this week and introduced himself. Maybe he's just friendly or maybe he's attracted to me. Who knows? Anyways, we exchanged first names only, but being the person who I am, I was quickly able to find out his last name. So then I started thinking that I don't run into this guy very often. Maybe every few weeks or once a month or even less. Basically, there's no guarantee that we'll run into each other again any time soon. Sure, I could just leave it up to fate and say if it's meant to be it'll be, but I kind of like having more control over my life than that.

So in my mind, I'm thinking that maybe he had been waiting for that opportunity to introduce himself and it was nice that he did, but if he actually wants to get to know me, I just don't think it would be the best idea to leave it to another chance meeting in the building considering that he really didn't get enough information to contact me (unless he's really good at researching people like I am. )

So I was thinking of sending him an e-mail. Just something short and professional to open the lines of communication and see where it goes.

What do you all think? Bad idea? What would you do in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 03:56 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
You want written, documented, stored in the mail exchange proof that you were messing around the office with a colleague?

Find the nearest copier, sit on it when noone is watching and give the boy a copy. That would be quite the start.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
You want written, documented, stored in the mail exchange proof that you were messing around the office with a colleague?
Well, I could send him an instant message instead but I think those are kind of intrusive. Like I said, it'll be a professional e-mail. It's not like I'm going to ask him out or anything.

Quote:
Find the nearest copier, sit on it when noone is watching and give the boy a copy. That would be quite the start.
I'll think about it.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:08 PM

Wait for him to do it again.

As the recipient of one such copies, I can't say it's something bad. But I placed the idea in her head. She thought the crocodile was a freak for even imagining such weirdly fetish-some stuff. But she went freakier when she actually sent me that. She is smart too. So she used the copier in her father's house, who works from home a lot. In the office, they have cameras.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Wait for him to do it again.
You're saying wait a few more weeks/months until he runs into me again and talks to me?

What if I just casually add him to my IM contact list in the meantime so that he gets the notification so then he'll at least have my full name, but I won't actually IM him or e-mail him.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
You're saying wait a few more weeks/months until he runs into me again and talks to me?

What if I just casually add him to my IM contact list in the meantime so that he gets the notification so then he'll at least have my full name, but I won't actually IM him or e-mail him.
There's this woman at work who's my current corridor flirt momma. She and I cross in the corridor 20 times per day. It almost seems like she always is to be found by the coffee room, the lobby and even in the nearby coffee shops. Usually, when a woman is not interested, she barely notices you, she comes and goes around you like the metro city bus. So, one day I found her in the elevator and I said "Hi". She's become a good friend as I really don't mess around at work. My steady paycheque and constantly full shopping cart of savile row clothing is way more effing important than getting a hot chick in a tight suit.

So, put yourself near the coffee room, lobby, it should not be too hard.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
So, put yourself near the coffee room, lobby, it should not be too hard.
So your suggestion is that I should just spend more time in common areas so that we can maybe run into each other? That would take more time and effort than making direct electronic communication.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:27 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,200 times
why don't you just go over to whereever he works around lunch some time and ask him if he wants to get something to eat sometime (or whatever). he already introduced himself so that seems pretty benign

seems to me in person is far more charming than email but to each their own. i think you are over-thinking it, just go say hi

Old 09-13-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
why don't you just go over to whereever he works around lunch some time and ask him if he wants to get something to eat sometime (or whatever). he already introduced himself so that seems pretty benign

seems to me in person is far more charming than email but to each their own. i think you are over-thinking it, just go say hi
I don't know exactly where his desk is but I'm not that forward anyway. I don't want to ask him out. I just want to make it easier for him to ask me out if that's what he wants to do. If he's shy or hesitant, I think it would be easier to do it electronically than in passing in the halls.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
So your suggestion is that I should just spend more time in common areas so that we can maybe run into each other? That would take more time and effort than making direct electronic communication.
You go right ahead and help up his ego and inter-cubicle self-worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships