Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this worth not speaking to them or breaking up
Yes 19 40.43%
No 19 40.43%
Maybe, it would depend 9 19.15%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 04:26 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcellaV2 View Post
Let's say if it wasn't really done as a joke but rather you guys are arguing at a pool party. Then you're kind of irritated and shoved your bf/gf but only as a ''leave me alone'' type of push. Next thing you know he/she falls in the swimming pool (but not intended, it just happened).

But is that something you would get upset over and not talk to them for more than 5 days or break up?

I wouldn't really break up and would get over that nonsense by the 2nd day. Then again, that's just me. I don't know about you people. Is getting accidentally thrown into a swimming pool by your bf/gf something to react like that?
Not if it were a joke. My own brother pushed me into a mall fountain. He went to grab me before I fell as a joke, but was too late. We eventually laughed about it within a few minutes.

But under the circumstances you are describing YES I would break-up. I would break up with anyone that put their hands on me while arguing. It's uncalled for in any situation. It's just neanderthall and trashy. Raise a hand near me and the last thing you'll have your hands on is the door knob while you are closing it behind you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 04:31 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,853 times
Quote:
Let's say if it wasn't really done as a joke but rather you guys are arguing at a pool party. Then you're kind of irritated and shoved your bf/gf but only as a ''leave me alone'' type of push. Next thing you know he/she falls in the swimming pool (but not intended, it just happened).

But is that something you would get upset over and not talk to them for more than 5 days or break up?

I wouldn't really break up and would get over that nonsense by the 2nd day. Then again, that's just me. I don't know about you people. Is getting accidentally thrown into a swimming pool by your bf/gf something to react like that?
Seems to me that this would be a silly reason to break up unless it was done in anger. No one has the right to lay hands on another in anger so if it was done in that context, yes, I would "kick him to the curb".

A friend of mine pushed this guy into our pool one time..fooling around...and the guy had a cell phone in his pocket and his wallet with all his identification in it, pics, etc. His phone was ruined as were some of his photos etc. Was not as funny as it set out to be. Childish if anything.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:44 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I would dump any man who pushed me, pool or not. You don't put your hands on me in anger. Ever.
Yup, this ^^^^

Old 09-15-2012, 06:50 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
I cannot imagine this even happening, without it being a big shove in anger. I could see someone giving a small "get away from me" push, but who pushes someone enough for them to lose their balance, close enough to a pool that they fall in?

Let me put it this way. If that is how someone I was seeing expressed their anger, a hard shove, enough for me to lose balance and go into a pool, I would not be seeing them any further.

I wouldn't want to be seeing anyone who had a need to express anger physically.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:04 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
If the male was standing close to the edge of the pool and you got in his face with your arm "Do you understand me Mister" He could of easily lost his balance and fall in by a light tap.

If he pushed me in I would come out for revenge and push him the hell in! Hahaha

Old 09-15-2012, 07:31 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
Quote:

That would totally mean war but I would probably not break up.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:42 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I would dump any man who pushed me, pool or not. You don't put your hands on me in anger. Ever.
This^^^^ Abuse is abuse.....pushing someone in anger is wrong....it doesn't matter where you land.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:43 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
I'd probably break up with anyone who laid hands on me in anger, but would consider if there were extenuating circumstances, and the nature of the relationship previously. However, if we'd had a short history or there was a history of arguing or issues, then I'd just break up and be done with the drama.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:25 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Well aside from you laying your hands on him in anger, which is bad enough.

Add the humiliation that you did in public.

Then add the humiliation that it caused him to fall in the pool.

If this were a ONE time thing in an otherwise great relationship, I DO think I would let it go.

If the relationship wasn't great, this might have been the final straw.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:35 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,834 times
How do you "accidentally throw" someone into a pool?

You shoved him, plain and simple. An accident means you have no culpability in the matter. Did someone else possess your arms to reach out and push him?

Maybe your first step in getting him to forgive you is accepting responsibility for your actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships