Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,991,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So much hatred and disgust for the smoking people out there, and especially when it comes to the dating game........

First, I wanted to say that I don't find smokers unattractive, then again I am a smoker myself. It's just a total misconception that smokers are the absolute rejects in the dating world. I see people who smoke with other people who dont smoke all the time. No, not just your white trash gutter rats, but normal attractive people. As a male, I actually find a woman who smokes to be pretty sexy. Now, I'm not trying to encourage or advocate for anyone to start smoking, but when I'm at the bar at 2am and see a nice looking girl with a Bud in one hand and a cigarette in the other? Yeah, I find that to be kinda sexy. Go ahead and judge me for it, I don't care.

Second, just so this thread has a talking point, have you had any trouble in the dating world solely because you smoke? What was their exact reaction when they found out you smoked? How about rejecting solely because they smoke? Have you ever done that? Why?
I dated a smoker precisely once. She reeked of smoke. And kissing her was like tasting the bottom of an ashtray. I just don't think smokers realize how badly they smell and taste.

Last edited by cpg35223; 09-17-2012 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 08:18 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,094,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post

My parents and my siblings are vocal, rude, insulting and ever so consistant with their hate filled comments. This is why I don't hang around them...hardly at all anymore because of their hate. I have NEVER (true statement, I promise) smoked around them. NEVER, NOT ONCE. My husband also smokes and he still takes a lot of heat for not smoking around them. And still, it is their only topic to address and it comes up without fail. If I was as dogged as they were about all the unhealthy decisions they make, they wouldn't want to be around me...oh wait...
I admit that I can be a bit annoying occasionally to my friends who smoke. I care about them and don't want to see them continuing to do something that might kill them. It's really as simple as that. When I had an eating disorder - my friends and family were just as concerned for my welfare.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 PM

5,004 posts, read 7,847,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I admit that I can be a bit annoying occasionally to my friends who smoke. I care about them and don't want to see them continuing to do something that might kill them. It's really as simple as that. When I had an eating disorder - my friends and family were just as concerned for my welfare.
Is veganism an eating disorder? Just curious (and I'm not sure what it has to do with this thread).

Old 09-17-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Is veganism an eating disorder? Just curious (and I'm not sure what it has to do with this thread).
No.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:22 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,851,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Yea, regarding the bolded.
You smokers fail to understand this one issue every single time. You just competely ignore it. Like it's "eh, too bad health care costs are a major problem in this country, I am going to smoke and cost the health care system triple compared to my non-smoking counterpart. "

My taxes that I pay for your increased health care costs due to your smoking does indeed make it 'MY LIFE' also.
Who do you think pays for your healthcare, just you ?
We all pay for smoking, even if some of us don't smoke.
You non smokers, who don't care enough to KNOW what you are talking about and learn the facts, fail to unsertand this every time. You completely ignore it....

The entire "your habit is costing me n taxes" is old, tired, and most importantly, false. Thats just propaganda spread by the gov't and special interest groups to get their way. Do yourself a favor and educate yourself on the topic before spouting off things that you know nothing of. In short, Big tobacco MORE than pays for the costs to healthcare that their customers will incur. It's called the Master Settlement Agreement so read up! If you don't care enough to familiarize yourself with a topic, do all of us a favor and don't post at all.

Secondly, the majority of the cost of my habit is, undoubtedly, TAXES with a very small amount of the price of a pack going toward the actual product. So don't give me this line rhat you somehow pay my medical expenses, because you don't.... period.

And THAT sir, is as poitical as I am willing to get on this thread. If anyone feels inclined to discuss the above subject further, feel free to direct message me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
I have and let me tell you when they say it tastes like an ashtray.. it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I dated a smoker precisely once. She reeked of smoke. And kissing her was like tasting the bottom of an ashtray. I just don't think smokers realize how badly they smell and taste.
What exactly does an ashtray taste like? The both of you have licked one or two in your day huh? LOL, I suspect not.

I get tired of hearing how smokers "taste like an ashtray" when I've never known anyone, smoker and non alike, to have ever literaly licked an ashtray. Common fallacy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I hate to tell you Dew, and I can only speak for myslef, but when someone gets on me about smoking or when I read threads or articles about anti-smokers, how much they hate us,or dislike us..... I really get to craving a cigarette. So in otherwords, you being annoying to your smoking freinds, is having the exact opposite of the intended effect more than likely.

Now if you all will excuse me, I'm going to step out for a smoke, and then it's off to bed.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 09-18-2012 at 01:34 AM..

Old 09-18-2012, 06:42 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,434,270 times
^

There are people that are discriminated against and judged for things beyond their control. Go cry to them about you being judged for smoking ciggies.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:45 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,032,130 times
Quote:
How exactly do people know what the bottom of an ashtray tastes like? I'm a smoker and I don't even know however, I don't go around licking the bottoms of ashtrays.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 AM

29,653 posts, read 34,161,455 times
Quote:
What exactly does an ashtray taste like? The both of you have licked one or two in your day huh? LOL, I suspect not.

I get tired of hearing how smokers "taste like an ashtray" when I've never known anyone, smoker and non alike, to have ever literaly licked an ashtray. Common fallacy.

I hate to tell you Dew, and I can only speak for myslef, but when someone gets on me about smoking or when I read threads or articles about anti-smokers, how much they hate us,or dislike us..... I really get to craving a cigarette. So in otherwords, you being annoying to your smoking freinds, is having the exact opposite of the intended effect more than likely.

Now if you all will excuse me, I'm going to step out for a smoke, and then it's off to bed.
No, I've never licked an ashtray, but kissing a smoker doesn't exactly give the kisser a burst of minty freshness. WhipperSnapper, if you want to smoke, that's your deal. But you do have to understand that you've made a choice to do something that's expensive, unhealthy, and that, frankly, reeks. You can get as defensive as you want, but that's not going to change the minds of people who don't want to deal with the side effects of dating a smoker. Sure, other people might have bad habits, but I've never seen a nail biter react the way smokers do when challenged (e.g. "F you! I'll do what I want, and I'll blow smoke in your face!")

Old 09-18-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:

This has nothing to do with hate or dislike - in fact quite the opposite. When you love someone - you don't want to see them do things that are so detrimental to their health. I have very few friends that smoke - and it's not like I lecture them every time I see them - or even some of the time - but my friends know that I wish they would quit because I don't like to see them doing something that is killing them.

Why would people expressing concern for your health want to make you do something to further damage your health?

And once again - it's not like I lecture my friends every time I see them light a cigarette - but I'm an honest person who cares about the people in my life. Like I said - my friends expressed their concern when I was doing something detrimental to my health as well.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:18 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,654,907 times
Quote:
I got in my roommate's car the other day and she said I smelled of cigarettes. I had smoked one like 20 minutes beforehand... couldn't smell a thing unless I sniffed the hand that was holding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships