Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:48 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,875,189 times

Advertisements

So much hatred and disgust for the smoking people out there, and especially when it comes to the dating game........

First, I wanted to say that I don't find smokers unattractive, then again I am a smoker myself. It's just a total misconception that smokers are the absolute rejects in the dating world. I see people who smoke with other people who dont smoke all the time. No, not just your white trash gutter rats, but normal attractive people. As a male, I actually find a woman who smokes to be pretty sexy. Now, I'm not trying to encourage or advocate for anyone to start smoking, but when I'm at the bar at 2am and see a nice looking girl with a Bud in one hand and a cigarette in the other? Yeah, I find that to be kinda sexy. Go ahead and judge me for it, I don't care.

Second, just so this thread has a talking point, have you had any trouble in the dating world solely because you smoke? What was their exact reaction when they found out you smoked? How about rejecting solely because they smoke? Have you ever done that? Why?

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 09-16-2012 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 09:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,802,148 times
I'll reject if you you are a regular smoker. I am OK with a monthly pipe or cigar, but that is really about it. I think smoking id gross. I like cigar boxes though. (For the record, my dad smokes cigars a few times a week and my mom was a smoker until I was 12 and she quit cold turkey.)

Hookah is "better" than cigarettes, so I guess that as an occasional habit isn't awful. I don't want to ruin my lungs and smell the tobacco or weed so it just isn't really compatible with me.

Oh and chewing tobacco is the worst (ugh I had so many relatives that did that. Gross!).

Old 09-16-2012, 09:04 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,978,049 times
If I really care about him, I would overlook it with some conditions (smoking outside only, etc).

The health issues would bother me, however.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:05 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,323,419 times
Definitely not a smoker. Definitely not. Have maybe taken 4 or 5 tokes/drags/puffs/whatever of a cigarette in my life.

However, I seem to get along with smokers. First, they have that "je ne sais quoi." Haha. Second, they come off as so much more world-weary and real (excluding the young ones in HS who are doing it to be cool). A relationship with a smoker would NOT be workable, though, since I don't want the smell in my furniture or in the upholstery of my car.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:05 PM

701 posts, read 1,560,085 times
I tried dating a full-on smoker who became a more social smoker because she was quitting. Though she didn't smoke outside of parties, I still hated it because of how she would smell like cigarettes and in turn, *I* would end up smelling like cigarettes just from being around her.

So, in the future, I would indeed turn down a smoker unless that person was actively trying to quit.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:09 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,125,881 times
I can't be around cigarette smoke at all with out it making my eyes hurt and water. I'm also a singer so breathing in smoke is definitely bad, bad, bad. I just couldn't date a smoker. I have a couple friends that smoke a bit - and I try not to be anywhere near them when they do. Bottom line - it's just not healthy and it's just not something I want to be around.

If you are a smoker and you are happy with it - that's fine. But honestly - maybe I'm just a "hater" - why would anyone want to keep smoking? My grandmother died from complications due to smoking, my great aunt died from lung cancer, and my aunt is doing okay after having lung cancer a few years ago. I just don't understand why people do something that is so bad for them. I care about my friends and family - and want them to be as healthy as possible. Sorry - I guess I'm just a hater who's going to hate.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:10 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,774,186 times
I smoked for years because I thought I was so hopelessly addicted. Really though it was just weakness, and when I was finally ready and mentally prepared quitting was so easy that I couldn't believe that I didn't do it years sooner. I can't believe all that money I wasted paying big tobacco to try and kill me.

I would probably not date a smoker, but I could certainly relate.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:12 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,861,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I can't be around cigarette smoke at all with out it making my eyes hurt and water. I'm also a singer so breathing in smoke is definitely bad, bad, bad. I just couldn't date a smoker. I have a couple friends that smoke a bit - and I try not to be anywhere near them when they do. Bottom line - it's just not healthy and it's just not something I want to be around.

If you are a smoker and you are happy with it - that's fine. But honestly - maybe I'm just a "hater" - why would anyone want to keep smoking? My grandmother died from complications due to smoking, my great aunt died from lung cancer, and my aunt is doing okay after having lung cancer a few years ago. I just don't understand why people do something that is so bad for them. I care about my friends and family - and want them to be as healthy as possible. Sorry - I guess I'm just a hater who's going to hate.
Amy winehouse was a singer too.

Back to the OP, I've been known to bum cigarettes off folks when I'm hammered. But no, I don't smoke regularly, I'm not a nicotine addict, and I've never purchased a cigarette in my life.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:15 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,969,463 times
Smoke makes me cough uncontrollable. I've done it when I was a child, I do it today. Smoking is a dealbreaker because of that by itself.

Also add to the fact that you smell like it, your breathe smells like it, you spend huge amounts of money on it, your teeth eventually turns a color.

Eventually you get sick from it, you cough up sh*t all the time because of it. The whole "Oh well I'm gonna die of something someday" is an unnattractive approach to life. It also makes your wall dirty and filthy.

Now of course there's people who doesn't mind the smoke and can disregard it. My old man is one of them, he married 3 women who smoked. He even picked up smoking for a time as well.

But, after years upon years of trying to hid mom's cigs when I was a kid(I'd cough and run from her when she was smoking), then watching her cough up black stuff when she woke up in the morning as a teen, and then now I'm working with 2 guys who smoke and have a nasty cough all year long and continuously spit of ugly junk, it just piles onto my deal-breaker clause. I never, ever want to deal with those situations with my SO, and I do not want her to deal with those situations with me.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,125,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Amy winehouse was a singer too.

Back to the OP, I've been known to bum cigarettes off folks when I'm hammered. But no, I don't smoke regularly, I'm not a nicotine addict, and I've never purchased a cigarette in my life.
Yeah - and she ended up dead. What's your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships