U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:33 PM

21 posts, read 27,728 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering if you all could maybe share with me the first time you've ever had your heart broken. And how you exactly got over it.

I'm 17 now, and was dumped by my boyfriend of two years 4 months ago. It was the worst thing in the world. I am not broken up by it still, just sad. I think of him once in a while, and I keep thinking about what he used to be to me, and what I was to him. I miss it.

I'm in college now. I've not dated anyone since. I keep thinking that if the right guy walked through my door, I would forget about my ex completely. But I've not met a Prince Charming yet. So, I keep thinking of my ex.

I just feel like I'm the only girl in the world to go through this. I know I'm not. I keep seeing all these happy couples and I think, "why not me?"

Anyway, I just want to hear from others that have a bit of experience in this department. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 08:38 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoj View Post
Hello,

I was wondering if you all could maybe share with me the first time you've ever had your heart broken. And how you exactly got over it.

I'm 17 now, and was dumped by my boyfriend of two years 4 months ago. It was the worst thing in the world. I am not broken up by it still, just sad. I think of him once in a while, and I keep thinking about what he used to be to me, and what I was to him. I miss it.

I'm in college now. I've not dated anyone since. I keep thinking that if the right guy walked through my door, I would forget about my ex completely. But I've not met a Prince Charming yet. So, I keep thinking of my ex.

I just feel like I'm the only girl in the world to go through this. I know I'm not. I keep seeing all these happy couples and I think, "why not me?"

Anyway, I just want to hear from others that have a bit of experience in this department. Thanks!
Oh honey, hugs to you!

You are so not the only girl to have ever felt the way you are feeling right now.

And the good news is, you will get past this - promise!

In life timing is everything, and right now is just not the time for you to be with someone.

But don't worry, that will change

Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 PM

19,121 posts, read 26,684,026 times
The only time I've had my 'heart broken' was when a guy I had just started dating decided I wasn't good enough and started dating another woman while we were still dating. He ended up marrying that other woman.

Other than that, I've only had 2 boyfriends and neither of them broke my heart because I wasn't in love with either of them.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:02 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
When I was exactly your age I met a great guy the first week of the fall semester.

He was one of those kinds of guys ALL the girls noticed. He was good-looking, flirty and funny - really comfortable in his own skin He asked me out and in one date I was totally crushing on him.

But he was the kind of guy who could really BS a girl and make you think you were more important to him than you really were.

Six weeks later when he was moving on to the next girl I was left heartbroken that he "just couldn't see how great we could be together" the way I could

I mooned around a few weeks, cried in my pillow every night, and just died inside whenever I saw him around campus with his new girl

Until, that is, the day my Dad gave me some great advice. While I was so convinced I was "in love" and was therefore prepared to just wait around for the guy to finally "get it" and come back to me, my dad said, don't ever waste a second of your time crying over a man who can't see in you what you see in him. If BOTH people can't see the potential then the relationship was simply never meant to be. And the sooner you accept this and quit hanging on to the feelings for him, the sooner you'll be on your way to meeting the one who WILL share your feelings

Old 09-18-2012, 09:17 PM

4,933 posts, read 6,797,440 times

Alison Krauss & James Taylor - How's the World Treating You 2003 Video stereo widescreen - YouTube

Old 09-18-2012, 09:21 PM

8,568 posts, read 7,141,255 times
i wouldn't say i have ever had my heart broken. it was sad it never worked out and we parted ways, but i was always left with great memories and in most cases lifelong friends that new me better then anyone

Old 09-18-2012, 09:24 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,238,434 times
Prince Charming may not walk through the door but the right guy for you could be sitting in the library studying or not in college at all but you will meet him after you graduate. There are lots of men on this planet and unfortunately more sad days that follow break ups. Give it time my dear you have yet to experience more than one guy and you are young. Be grateful for the experience, learn from it and move forward, always forward. One of these days you will remember him and wonder why you were so sad when your man has you wrapped in his loving warm embrace.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:33 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,663,407 times
I cooked dinner for my ex and then asked him if 'we' were OK. His response was that 'we' shouldn't see one another anymore & told me to move out. The best part was that he told he that he was keeping my pet Chihuahua that he had given me as a gift. He told me that if I took the Chi, he would call the cops on me. Damn, I sure do miss my Chihuahua.

He did me a favor by breaking up with me. I learned to love myself, lost weight, my self-confidence is off the charts, and I am independent. Thanks Rickster for dumping me.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:21 PM

13,677 posts, read 13,594,180 times
The first big breakup is always the hardest. It gets better from here, I swear.

My thought generally is that most of the time, if one party isn't happy in the relationship, the other isn't either - they just might not have realized it yet.

You don't seem to be of the opinion that you'll never find anyone who completes you again, so you're in a pretty decent place Four months isn't that long to get over a 2-year relationship. Give yourself more time, stay away from the booze (will only depress you further) and throw yourself into working out, group activities at school and your academics. You are at the perfect point in your life to try new things and develop new interests - exploit the unholy bejesus out of that! Go see films you'd never have considered, try new restaurants and cuisines with your chick friends, look for interesting things to do in your area. Make some new friends, make some new memories.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:54 PM

6,071 posts, read 8,369,546 times
Aww, hugs for you. I think having your heart broken is a rite of passage for a lot of people. It means when you do find the right guy you will really appreciate him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships