Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 09:25 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times

Advertisements

Sounds like we are getting to quite the list of questions that are 'inappropriate' to ask someone you are hitting on, or dating, or in LTR with.

So far I see the following:

1. Can't ask someone their age, because if physical attraction is there, then age shouldn't be important.

2. Can't ask height, because people misrepresent this all the time, especially in online dating.

3. Can't ask weight, everybody either lies, or doesn't answer the question.

4. Sexual history. There was a long thread yesterday that was closed, I am not intending to extend that thread, but it is obvious that for the sake of moving on, everyones sexual history is not appropriate for discussion.

5. Amount of money someone makes.

6. Career. It sounds like a lot of people lie to each other about what they do for a living, just to impress someone. Careers such as fighter pilots, Dr's, and other high paying, dangerous jobs are lied about.

7. Automobile someone drives: Do many people lie about this? Maybe only if someone is attempting a ONS, and they know the other person will never really know.

So, as someone who is looking to meet someone of the opposite sex, what CAN we talk about that isn't off limits ?

Definately not 8. politics or 9. religion, right ? 10. Weather is to mundane.

we can't talk about ourselves apparently, because that is too 'personal'.

Should I learn card tricks and magic tricks like Barney in How I Met Your Mother? (Guy is hilarious)

Should I discuss my excitement for the next COD Black Ops 2 release ?

Reading this forum for any amount of time has me realizing that communication is key for relationships, but there isn't much we can talk about in the first few getting to know you conversations.

No wonder dating is such a PITA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 09:27 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Well, when you approach dating like a job or chore you have to do, you take all the fun out of it.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:30 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
You can ask me about my age, my height, my weight, my sexual history, my career and my car (love my car!), religion , or politics (I love a good debate and engaging with people with different opinions then mine).

The amount I make is not anyone's business but my own. Everything else is up for grabs. I have no filter, I like being disturbingly honest and PC=BORING!!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:31 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, when you approach dating like a job or chore you have to do, you take all the fun out of it.
Are you suggesting that my thread is implying dating is no fun because I approach it like a job or chore ?

My thread is more a conversation about how many things we actually can't talk about when you are interested in someone, and trying to get to know them.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:32 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Well.... on my boyfriends and my first date, which was also the first time we met, he got me in full effect. We went to a Smithsonian museum in DC and I was looking at some of the different things, and I was half goofing around but I was still for real in re to Evolution vs. Creation.

This lady skoffed at me and I looked at him and asked him if she was for real because blah blah blah. Well, he found out I was a handful that day as well as that we, for many parts, had pretty different beliefs.....

Ah well... we kept each other.... isn't that what counts?

I was open in who I was and in the questions I had about him. If we can't be honest with one another and are looking for a mate, what are we expecting? Half truths for the rest of our lifes? Not me.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:35 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Sounds like we are getting to quite the list of questions that are 'inappropriate' to ask someone you are hitting on, or dating, or in LTR with.

So far I see the following:

1. Can't ask someone their age, because if physical attraction is there, then age shouldn't be important.

2. Can't ask height, because people misrepresent this all the time, especially in online dating.

3. Can't ask weight, everybody either lies, or doesn't answer the question.

4. Sexual history. There was a long thread yesterday that was closed, I am not intending to extend that thread, but it is obvious that for the sake of moving on, everyones sexual history is not appropriate for discussion.

5. Amount of money someone makes.

6. Career. It sounds like a lot of people lie to each other about what they do for a living, just to impress someone. Careers such as fighter pilots, Dr's, and other high paying, dangerous jobs are lied about.

7. Automobile someone drives: Do many people lie about this? Maybe only if someone is attempting a ONS, and they know the other person will never really know.

So, as someone who is looking to meet someone of the opposite sex, what CAN we talk about that isn't off limits ?

Definately not 8. politics or 9. religion, right ? 10. Weather is to mundane.

we can't talk about ourselves apparently, because that is too 'personal'.

Should I learn card tricks and magic tricks like Barney in How I Met Your Mother? (Guy is hilarious)

Should I discuss my excitement for the next COD Black Ops 2 release ?

Reading this forum for any amount of time has me realizing that communication is key for relationships, but there isn't much we can talk about in the first few getting to know you conversations.

No wonder dating is such a PITA.
Aw crap! That is stuff I actually want to know about someone who I'm going to invest a huge part of my life in. I may as well retire from serious dating and just get prostituites.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:42 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,115 times
No, dating is a PITA because you listen to random commenters on City-Data and assume from comments that there is a laundry list of cans and can't.

Stop treating dating like some big game or task. It's really not that difficult unless you make it so.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Are you suggesting that my thread is implying dating is no fun because I approach it like a job or chore ?

My thread is more a conversation about how many things we actually can't talk about when you are interested in someone, and trying to get to know them.
For some of us, the glass is always half full

For others, the glass will always be half empty

I suggest you choose the positive rather than the negative - it will get you further in life!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
No, dating is a PITA because you listen to random commenters on City-Data and assume from comments that there is a laundry list of cans and can't.

Stop treating dating like some big game or task. It's really not that difficult unless you make it so.

EXACTLY And you said it much more succinctly than I did

Old 09-20-2012, 09:52 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships