Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 04:48 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times

Advertisements

CL is a creepy place. Be careful, if you are going to meet someone do it in a very public place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 04:57 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Well, I went ahead and posted an advert on craigslist, that most reviled of boards. I stated that I wish to have some fun with no strings attached, in order to counteract my gross inexperience. And what I mean by gross experience, well, it doesn't take a genius to figure out.

So far I've actually received two solicitations but of course I have little way of knowing whether they are real or just an oasis in a desert.

I'm wondering whether this was a mistake, but then again at this stage it doesn't make much of a difference I'm afraid. You are now wondering whether I've made friends outside of the club scenes, to which I'd say yes. I've decided to come out of my shell and have signed up for numerous hip-hop, martial arts and singing classes in the next two weeks, which I will be participating in. I've already participated in one beginning hip-hip rythym class, it was quite entertaining.

Hopefully all you married/engaged folk on Cd (which seems to be bloody half of you), will be enjoying your weekend. Have a nice weekend ya'll !

Not exactly the same but I start Tai Chi Beginners class on October 1, 2012 and I am so excited.

Good luck with your ad and I wish you the best and I do sincerely hope you find what you seek. I'm part of the bloody half but my other half is not going to be home this weekend, he is working but going to spend tonight with his Daughter, Son in law and grandchildren. The fun part is that we are going to
"Facetime" on the iPad so I get to see them all as well........yay

Old 09-22-2012, 09:20 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
I wish you well. My own experience on CL was not good at all. Several years ago, I put an ad there, and since then I've even had to change my email address. The biggest thing I got was women filling up my email box with "come-ons" to (rip-off) dating sites. Someone even took over my old email box so that I no longer had the authority to cancel it. Out of more than a hundred emails that came in, perhaps, one or two were genuine. The rest were commercial interests, and I don't mean hookers.

These days, I seldom even go to CL. If I do, I may answer an ad, but I will never place one again. And, you have to be careful which ones you answer as well. Most of the time I answer something, I get a "robot" response with another "come-on" for a (rip-off) dating site.
I had the same experience but with men. Also, they now have a ton of Nigerian scammers or "fake jobs". I was able to cancel, all I wanted was to purchase a book.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
CL is a creepy place. Be careful, if you are going to meet someone do it in a very public place.
DO NOT be surprised if they bail. I would of thought people treated this differently since it's sex, but some still don't give a ___! I had one guy who was so desperate he arranged to meet me like this, then he ended up flaking out. He even had the nerve to email me and say sarcastically, "Wow, thanks for showing up. Where were you?" You didn't just say that, right? I arrived at the coffee shop we were to meet a full thirty minutes before he claimed to have "arrived" in his texts, and the shop was completely empty save three people who were clearly not him (two were women, one appeared to be a preoccupied businessman in his forties while the one I was to meet up with was still in college). I still don't know if he was messing with me or what, he then turned around and said, "Okay, I'll be there." when I described this situation to him.

Twenty minutes later, I left because he never showed up. Then he wrote me a final email message, trying to be innocent, "Okay, I saw you but I decided not to approach you." I don't think he saw me at all, I would of recognized his photo or at least received another call when he was there (he refused to pick up when I called, would only text). The only excuse I can think of is that he might of bluffed about his education and age. Who knows? The CL flaker may actually have been the businessman with a fake photograph, I wouldn't be surprised because people do that all the time. I wrote him back and I was saying, "You do know you wasted two hours of your time writing to me and you basically flaked? Why did you bother conversing with me? ... Thanks to you, I'm never using CL again, this isn't the first time though." I Googled and one guy said it best, even with selling or trading people flake 97% of the time because CL is too casual. There's not really any line on that site forcing you to show up or be safe, except a report button.

Yeah, after that I decided to just stop using CL. The same thing happened twice with two other guys and a couple girls stopped responding for selling/"relationships". Only one out of six I've tried to meet up with actually did show up.

Just be careful, you might get lucky because some people have married others on there but I would even do online dating than this... and that's saying a lot.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:46 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Well, I went ahead and posted an advert on craigslist, that most reviled of boards. I stated that I wish to have some fun with no strings attached, in order to counteract my gross inexperience. And what I mean by gross experience, well, it doesn't take a genius to figure out.

So far I've actually received two solicitations but of course I have little way of knowing whether they are real or just an oasis in a desert.

I'm wondering whether this was a mistake, but then again at this stage it doesn't make much of a difference I'm afraid. You are now wondering whether I've made friends outside of the club scenes, to which I'd say yes. I've decided to come out of my shell and have signed up for numerous hip-hop, martial arts and singing classes in the next two weeks, which I will be participating in. I've already participated in one beginning hip-hip rythym class, it was quite entertaining.

Hopefully all you married/engaged folk on Cd (which seems to be bloody half of you), will be enjoying your weekend. Have a nice weekend ya'll !
Duck, you're hilarious! I admit I'm hooked on the Continued (Mis)-adventures of our Resident Duck.

Congrats on joining those clubs. It's a first step. Don't get depressed if magic doesn't happen. Just stay out there and active.

As to your ad on "the most reviled of boards"; beware of scams. I know a guy who had a good experience on CL, but also, he went to a lot of effort to meet a beautiful Russian woman, who turned out to be working for someone else, if you know what I mean. On the other hand, as to your inexperience, some women are turned on by that, by the idea of breaking in a newbie, or relative newbie. So to speak. Well, anyway, don't feel awkward about it, but be selective. You have your health to worry about, and you don't want it to be a sleazy, depressing experience. ...I assume. ...whatever. Don't rush into anything, talk to her on the phone first.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:59 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
I posted an ad once for casual sex, and received a number of responses. Most were spam, a few were guys (I posted for male seeking woman) wanting to please me, one woman was extremely obese, and one transsexual hooker. Last time I did that.

I still buy/sell stuff there, rent apartments, find roommates and jobs with no issues.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:27 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
craigslist can be a good dating site

I have met and went out with a lawyer and school teacher and they were very nice and attractive.

Craigslist was also featured on VH1 which is how I found out about it and their dating sections were given a lot of praise

Old 09-23-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I posted an ad once for casual sex, and received a number of responses. Most were spam, a few were guys (I posted for male seeking woman) wanting to please me, one woman was extremely obese, and one transsexual hooker. Last time I did that.

I still buy/sell stuff there, rent apartments, find roommates and jobs with no issues.
Yeah, I've heard it works for apartments. Jobs, same thing for me. Couldn't get a decent offer. One guy landed me an interview, never hired me and made excuses. I have met people IRL who did get jobs through CL, though.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:43 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times
Quote:

Women outnumber men 100 to 1. Most responses will be from scammers, but you might still get a hook up for every few hundred to a thousand ads you post. Better luck if you are specifically looking for a fat chick or find a clever enough euphemism to offer money without getting flagged.

Been doing the Craigslist thing for several years and hooking up here and there since about 2010. It got a lot worse when they removed the hooker section because a lot of the hookers are flooding the Casual Encounters section.

You will probably do better than me if you have the benefits of something resembling a personality, a vehicle and your own place to host, without roommates present.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:56 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You are right to have second thoughts about a CL ad.

Look, if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

The two most famous results of Craigslist postings around here were a prostitution sting and a beating/armed robbery of a man who was in staying in a Hilton on business and just wanted a (fetish) massage:

Man seeking to lick woman's feet robbed and beaten | Nashville City Paper

Just wait and do the legit stuff you signed up to do. Don't endanger yourself.
Unfortunately it's a risk those of us with strange perversions have to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships