U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:59 PM

864 posts, read 1,184,596 times

Advertisements

I've been told by more than a handful of guys that I'm intimidating, but I think it's a crock. There's nothing intimidating about me...I'm quiet, soft-spoken for the most part, book-ish, and definitely on the shy/introverted side until I get to know someone well.

What exactly does it mean when a guy says he's intimidated by a woman? Is it her demeanor? Appearance? What? I see that mentioned a lot here, usually in regards to a guy not wanting to approach a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 03:09 PM

17,611 posts, read 19,031,172 times
It generally means that the guy is insecure.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:13 PM

105 posts, read 399,860 times
I think some of it may have to do is if a woman shows a large amount of self confidence. Some guys may see that as intimidating because that goes against the typical "fragile feminime" stereotype.

Before I get in trouble let me end this by saying this is only a non factual opinion. I personally like it when a woman is full of self confidence. I spend a bit of time in Denver at our corporate office and you can tell by walking down the 16th street mall the confident ones from the not so confident ones.

If guys are afraid to approach a female it is because their own self confidence is lacking and are feeling insecure. Not scared.

Again this is all an opinion.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:14 PM

10,586 posts, read 10,764,491 times
Think it means cruel...there is an old saying "Never make a contentious woman your wife" - contention means contest- You don't want a woman around that is constantly seeking control - some one that is competitive with YOU.. You want a person that is your equal...this "intimidation" that some sense ...is power mongering.....a man does not need to be dominated any more than a woman wants to be dominated and abused- If they attempt to intimidate or have that persona...move on....There are kind people out there- You had a mother- you don't need another.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:15 PM

9,070 posts, read 15,026,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
It generally means that the guy is insecure.
+1 along with Psyko's post. If you present yourself as confident, sure of yourself, and encounter an insecure guy, he is going to be intimidated by your relative greater amount of confidence with yourself.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:16 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,579,783 times
Typically it is your demeanor. I am told that I am intimidating to. I come off as ice cold--until I open my mouth or laugh. Even when I smile, they say my eyes tell that I know a lot, I know what I want, and am hardly a fool. I have been told that I have eyes that seem to pierce right to a person's soul, as if I can see right through them. It really is my strong instinct developed overtime.

Really I am a very warm person, but I will admit, I have no time for bullsh*t and will call it when I see it if necessary (of course at the appropriate time). Also, my demeanor is very reserved, making me hard to read.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:21 PM

17,867 posts, read 17,772,214 times
It could be youre demeanor, it could just mean that you're really attractive and they don't want to be turned down, so they just look.

I've never called a woman intimidating before. Attractive, beautiful, gorgeous certainly, but never intimidating.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:23 PM

2,761 posts, read 4,139,308 times
I don't know if intimidating is the right word for me. If I see a women out in public, but she doesn't appear to be approachable, I would use the word; unapproachable.

Usually it is due to body language. It will appear that she probably isn't really enjoying herself, or being natural.

You know, letting a smile slip every now and then, chatting with friends, or anyone. Also appearing to be having fun. If when you are out in public, and non of those things are naturally happening, and someone notices you, but you are acting like you don't even want to be there, you are unapproachable.

When I see these women out in public such as bars, or concerts, or social events, I will not approach them, as those are the ones that reject the hardest/meanest.

IMO/E anyway

Old 09-26-2012, 03:42 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,579,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
I don't know if intimidating is the right word for me. If I see a women out in public, but she doesn't appear to be approachable, I would use the word; unapproachable.

Usually it is due to body language. It will appear that she probably isn't really enjoying herself, or being natural.

You know, letting a smile slip every now and then, chatting with friends, or anyone. Also appearing to be having fun. If when you are out in public, and non of those things are naturally happening, and someone notices you, but you are acting like you don't even want to be there, you are unapproachable.

When I see these women out in public such as bars, or concerts, or social events, I will not approach them, as those are the ones that reject the hardest/meanest.

IMO/E anyway
Lol at your last line. "Reject the hardest" I have always thought that to be ridiculous. Unless a guy is disrespectful in his approach, I don't understand why women don't just politely decline. Responding to someone in such a bitter way is likely the sign of the woman projecting on to you what she feels about herself.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:43 PM

864 posts, read 1,184,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsykoKustomz View Post
I think some of it may have to do is if a woman shows a large amount of self confidence. Some guys may see that as intimidating because that goes against the typical "fragile feminime" stereotype.
That is very enlightening, and that could very well be the reason why I hear that. I have a lot of self-confidence; that might be why I often also hear that I'm a girl "who knows who she is and what she wants". It shouldn't be a bad thing though...I know I wouldn't consider it a detrimental quality in a guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships