Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 08:19 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times

Advertisements

What's the topic of this thread again?

Old 09-29-2012, 08:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Kathryn, don't you think that one of the keys to your successful and happy relationship is truly caring and have consideration for each other? To me, that is paramount. If you can't put yourself in each other's shoes and show your mate that you honestly care about them, how can you be happy? I think, to a certain extent, it's important to take care of each other. If you're both "taking care" of each other and being considerate of each other's feelings, well...that just makes for some serious contentment, no matter what else in life comes your way.
Yes, ABSOLUTELY.

My husband is the "designated head" of our household. But he has NEVER abused that "power." I trust him to always be thoughtful of me, respectful of my opinions and feelings, and to put his family's needs above his personal wants. I simply cannot imagine him "throwing his weight around" or ordering me around - it is a ludicrous thought.

And he knows that I do not abuse the trust he's placed in me, and that I absolutely adore him.

As the old saying goes, "We're not perfect, but we're perfect for each other."

I think that generally speaking, women seek love and tenderness in a relationship, and men seek respect and appreciation. Not that all four characteristics aren't important in varying degrees to both sexes - of course they are. But it's just been my experience and observation with the men I've been in contact with and known well over my lifetime really yearn for the women in their lives to show them that they respect and appreciate them - and most women I know yearn for shows of affection and tenderness - "romance" if you will - from the men in their lives.

Anyway, it takes a little work to remember to give these things to each other, but there's a great return on the investment.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:45 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, ABSOLUTELY.

My husband is the "designated head" of our household. But he has NEVER abused that "power." I trust him to always be thoughtful of me, respectful of my opinions and feelings, and to put his family's needs above his personal wants. I simply cannot imagine him "throwing his weight around" or ordering me around - it is a ludicrous thought.

And he knows that I do not abuse the trust he's placed in me, and that I absolutely adore him.

I think that generally speaking, women seek love and tenderness in a relationship, and men seek respect and appreciation. Not that all four characteristics aren't important in varying degrees to both sexes - of course they are. But it's just been my experience and observation with the men I've been in contact with and known well over my lifetime really yearn for the women in their lives to show them that they respect and appreciate them - and most women I know yearn for shows of affection and tenderness - "romance" if you will - from the men in their lives.

Anyway, it takes a little work to remember to give these things to each other, but there's a great return on the investment.
Your husband sounds like a true and good leader of his family. We've been together for over 30 years and yes, my husband is "the head" of our family as well. He knows WHEN to lead and when it's best to hand decisions over to his partner. To me, that's a great leader...one who knows how to step back and let a "more qualified" partner take the reigns. Yes, I too, have a wonderful husband....my buddy, my best friend.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Your husband sounds like a true and good leader of his family. We've been together for over 30 years and yes, my husband is "the head" of our family as well. He knows WHEN to lead and when it's best to hand decisions over to his partner. To me, that's a great leader...one who knows how to step back and let a "more qualified" partner take the reigns. Yes, I too, have a wonderful husband....my buddy, my best friend.
He and my husband sound like the same sort. We are really blessed, I believe.

Congrats on your long and happy marriage. My first marriage was pretty awful, but hey - I have a good man now, so all's well that ends well!

My husband and I have a joke that we've been married 40 years - just not to each other!

Old 09-29-2012, 08:49 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I'm the head of the house.

Mrs. Chow told me so.

Old joke, couldn't resist.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:52 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Mrs. Chow told me so.

Rimshot - YouTube

Enough said

Old 09-29-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Mrs. Chow told me so.

Shhhhhhhhhh, don't let the cat out of the bag!

Old 09-29-2012, 09:12 PM

127 posts, read 183,671 times
Quote:

Totally agreed. I tried to rep you again but it wouldn't let me. Your marriage sounds wonderful, and while we have a different household set-up, we strive for the same qualities. Marriage is said to be work, but as I told my husband recently (whose computer we were gonna watch our movie on just went "blue screen" – boo!), "If this is 'work,' then I'm REALLY excited to see what the 'fun' part is!"

If your cat's in the bag, my cat is in the box. One of our moving boxes, to be exact. She started doing this last week, and I started singing that Alice in Chains song, "Man in the Box" for her, with a few words changed. Here she is rockin' out:

Attached Thumbnails
"Men should lead" - for real?-catinthebox.jpg  

Old 09-29-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetFedora View Post
Totally agreed. I tried to rep you again but it wouldn't let me. Your marriage sounds wonderful, and while we have a different household set-up, we strive for the same qualities. Marriage is said to be work, but as I told my husband recently (whose computer we were gonna watch our movie on just went "blue screen" – boo!), "If this is 'work,' then I'm REALLY excited to see what the 'fun' part is!"

If your cat's in the bag, my cat is in the box. One of our moving boxes, to be exact. She started doing this last week, and I started singing that Alice in Chains song, "Man in the Box" for her, with a few words changed. Here she is rockin' out:
AWWWWWwwwwwwwww!!! Love me some kitties!

You know, I would never dream of imposing my ideas about traditional marriage and the man being the "head of the home" on other people - or judging them harshly if they don't follow that model - but what irks me is when people assume that women in that model are there out of ignorance, or a lack of self confidence, or because they are not well educated, misled, etc. Or that the men who are in that model are abusive, controlling, or mysogenists.

Grrrrrr.

Live and let live!

Old 09-29-2012, 09:28 PM

127 posts, read 183,671 times
Quote:
You know, I would never dream of imposing my ideas about traditional marriage and the man being the "head of the home" on other people - or judging them harshly if they don't follow that model - but what irks me is when people assume that women in that model are there out of ignorance, or a lack of self confidence, or because they are not well educated, misled, etc. Or that the men who are in that model are abusive, controlling, or mysogenists.

Grrrrrr.

Live and let live!
Amen, sister! That annoys me too, the assumption that being a FT housewife and/or mom is "not a job." It's work and it's HARD! I couldn't do it, for sure – I'd make a mess out of it. It's 2012, and we should each choose the way that's best for us.

(Ever feel like we can't win no matter which way we choose? OR, maybe the cats are plotting to take over. I swear, the way mine looks at me sometimes, I have to wonder... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships