Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 10:38 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think you guys know what he's trying to say.
That most divorces aren't about mentally or physically abusive households.
It's about selfish people who can't or don't want to try to get along.

While this may create a bad atmosphere for the children, it's not the primary issue. It's a side effect of bad behavior.
There is no defense of "high level of abuse." I'd really like to know what exactly he means by that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 10:39 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
I misquoted myself. If someone is getting physically abused, they should leave instantly. If they are being emotionally abused, you have to leave if you believe that that the abuse is hurting your kid. There is no way around the fact that divorce hurts kids a lot.

I would venture to guess that the average divorced kid does worse than a 2 parent household where the parents argue every other day. I'm not sure there are stats on it, but I would make that bet.
Thank you.

Adding - It's not a good idea nor is it healthy for children to be around constant arguing. We will have to disagree on that point.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:39 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
You don't need abuse to have a caustic home environment.
It's caustic because the adults have allowed it to become this way by allowing or causing their relationship to deteriorate.

Y'all are acting like relationships fall apart by themselves and toxic environments just crop up out of nowhere. So of course the logical conclusion is divorce and it's no one's fault.
I call b.s.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
I misquoted myself. If someone is getting physically abused, they should leave instantly. If they are being emotionally abused, you have to leave if you believe that that the abuse is hurting your kid. There is no way around the fact that divorce hurts kids a lot.

I would venture to guess that the average divorced kid does worse than a 2 parent household where the parents argue every other day. I'm not sure there are stats on it, but I would make that bet.
But if the emotional abuse is damaging the parent then they should suck it up and deal with it?

Old 09-27-2012, 11:11 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,576,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
But if the emotional abuse is damaging the parent then they should suck it up and deal with it?
No. Have respect for yourself and don't tolerate abuse. That's always been my advice.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:14 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
You cannot lead with two heads.

It's simply when a marriage is composed of two equal partners there is a far bigger likelihood of divorce versus if one just submitted to the other. That's the deal here, and wrong or right depending on how you look at it.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:15 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's caustic because the adults have allowed it to become this way by allowing or causing their relationship to deteriorate.

Y'all are acting like relationships fall apart by themselves and toxic environments just crop up out of nowhere. So of course the logical conclusion is divorce and it's no one's fault.
I call b.s.
There is always culpability in a divorce. Most states offer a no fault divorce. From the courts standpoint, it doesn't matter. Staying in a bad relationship for the sake of the children is often unhealthy. Selfishness or whatever other reason cited is not good. However, the assumtion that there is always verbal or physical abuse, it isn't always the case.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:16 AM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
I believe you are confusing the cause and effect relationship of divorced parents = bad children when in fact it should go like this.

Bad parents = bad children. Now, MAYBE you could say that divorced couples tend to be bad parents, but I wouldn't even label that as such. People can be a BAD HUSBAND or BAD WIFE and still be an EXCELLENT PARENT.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:17 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
You cannot lead with two heads.

It's simply when a marriage is composed of two equal partners there is a far bigger likelihood of divorce versus if one just submitted to the other. That's the deal here, and wrong or right depending on how you look at it.
I think that depends on the personalities of the people involved and how open they are to compromise.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:44 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
Quote:
The numbers don't lie. Divorce is clearly detrimental especially to a child's upbringing.
It's not the divorce that is detrimental, it's how the parents handle the divorce that messes up the kids.

If one or both parents act like selfish jerks, replaces the kids with "newer models," badmouths their former spouse, then that's detrimental to the child's upbringing.

If both parents act like adults, respect their child and address his/her concerns, then the kid will be less affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships