U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2012, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
7,846 posts, read 10,223,140 times
Reputation: 9176

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
I think cooking is an important skill for both sexes unless you are always going to be a sahm. My husband isn't a great cook but he has the basics down. I'm glad I can get a homecooked meal and don't always have to be the one to make it. I really dislike take out and I'm cheap too so most of our meals are cooked at home. I work full-time and I can't cook everyday so it's really nice when he makes a hot meal even if it's just a grilled pork chop and some veggies. It still beats takeout. If only the woman can cook and she has to work full time how many from scratch meals can she make in a week without wearing herself out? I cook 2-3 times per week. The husband will do the same and left overs get eaten in between. We save a lot of money like this. Men and women both need to have basic cooking skills.
I agree. I get home from work late so I can't cook at 8-8:30 at night. My husband has always known the basics too--grilling meats, boiling pasta, making cutlets, etc. On weekends I make meals that take more time. We don't do take-out too much either because it does get costly but maybe twice a month we'll order something. We have a slow cooker but he's not comfortable letting the pot be on for hours when no one is home otherwise that's a great way to have a home cooked meal. Then again, he's not working now so I think it's time for me to show him how to use it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2012, 08:45 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 34,903,429 times
Reputation: 42368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
I think cooking is an important skill for both sexes unless you are always going to be a sahm. My husband isn't a great cook but he has the basics down. I'm glad I can get a homecooked meal and don't always have to be the one to make it. I really dislike take out and I'm cheap too so most of our meals are cooked at home. I work full-time and I can't cook everyday so it's really nice when he makes a hot meal even if it's just a grilled pork chop and some veggies. It still beats takeout. If only the woman can cook and she has to work full time how many from scratch meals can she make in a week without wearing herself out? I cook 2-3 times per week. The husband will do the same and left overs get eaten in between. We save a lot of money like this. Men and women both need to have basic cooking skills.
Yes, totally agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2012, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,842 posts, read 28,061,623 times
Reputation: 25937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
can you make sammiches? Then we are ok!
Guess I'm out. I don't really like sandwiches. I grew up eating rice.....sandwiches were not popular at my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2012, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,842 posts, read 28,061,623 times
Reputation: 25937
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I don't understand why so many men and women think cooking is so difficult. If anyone can follow simple instructions, they can follow a basic recipe. I've made Yorkshire pudding and the first time I made it I could not believe how simple it was. .... Cooking isn't about just putting food on a plate. I think the thought that goes into a meal is important because it shows your family or guests that you took the time to create a special meal. I don't think it's very important to be a good cook but I think everyone, men and women, should enjoy it and not look at it as a chore.
Personally, I am an intuitive cook. I find it very difficult to follow recipes (this is why I don't bake). Even when making something the first time, if I am following a recipe, I tend to adapt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2012, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
7,846 posts, read 10,223,140 times
Reputation: 9176
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I cannot tell you how many women have found the fact that I cook attractive (It seems like a silly thing for a man to get credit for; women cook all the time, and no one seems to even notice). When a man cooks, it signals to women he is an adult, can take of himself, and doesn't need a woman to look after him.
I am one of those women that just digs guys who cook. There is something sexy about it. I enjoy watching the food network and the cooking channel but most programs I watch are male chefs. And I agree with you--I feel that a man who can cook can take care of himself. I know a few single men and they don't cook at all but they make good salaries, no kids or huge expenses so they dine out pretty much every night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2012, 09:04 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,013,480 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Well what if a person who is fit, has a well paying job, and has excellent skills (not necessarily cooking).

Is it fair to demand a member of the opposite sex with the same?

Is it fair to be frustrated if there aren't that many people with the same standards that a person upholds?
I don't think it's sexist to prefer a woman who can cook at all, even for traditional reasons, but expecting someone to do or be X just because of their gender is kind of too traditional for me. I think sometimes women who say they want 'ambitious' men are just using code for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2012, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
7,846 posts, read 10,223,140 times
Reputation: 9176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Personally, I am an intuitive cook. I find it very difficult to follow recipes (this is why I don't bake). Even when making something the first time, if I am following a recipe, I tend to adapt it.
LOL...I don't bake much either. I find it's more of a science and measurements need to be almost exact. With cooking it's easier to adjust a recipe or "fix" it if it needs more salt/seasonings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2012, 09:05 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,013,480 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I am one of those women that just digs guys who cook. There is something sexy about it. I enjoy watching the food network and the cooking channel but most programs I watch are male chefs. And I agree with you--I feel that a man who can cook can take care of himself. I know a few single men and they don't cook at all but they make good salaries, no kids or huge expenses so they dine out pretty much every night.
Cooking should be a life skill everyone knows. I mean the basic stuff. It's not hard to cook basic, tasty meals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2012, 09:27 AM
 
6,250 posts, read 5,820,871 times
Reputation: 3544
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I prepare hot meals for my husband while he is out bringing home the bacon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2012, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,842 posts, read 28,061,623 times
Reputation: 25937
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
LOL...I don't bake much either. I find it's more of a science and measurements need to be almost exact. With cooking it's easier to adjust a recipe or "fix" it if it needs more salt/seasonings.
Exactly. I was trying to explain this to my friend. (He likes to bake). I said, I hate measureing. Baking requires measuring! :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top