U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 AM

6,098 posts, read 6,040,198 times

Advertisements

My husband is a great cook and he enjoys it. I am adequate at best (can make the basics and follow fairly simple recipes), but I do not enjoy it at all. If I cook for myself, it will probably be baked chicken breast and rice and some veggies. I am not a foodie (and I'm trying to lose weight), so this type of meal is fine with me. My husband would be bored to tears with this so he does the cooking. Sometimes I eat what he cooks, other times I just want toast or a salad for dinner or don't feel like trying to figure out how many points/calories are in every ingredient he uses.

If I didn't have to worry about counting calories, I'd happily eat his quiche, pesto, steak, etc. every night. I know I could find healthy, more diverse recipes, but for the most part, I have little desire to spend that much time in the kitchen.

I don't want to waste my time cooking and I certainly don't want to do the extra dishes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 09:39 AM

23,609 posts, read 29,602,091 times
I, too, believe that knowing at least the rudiments of cooking is an elementary life-skill that's essential for anyone, regardless of gender. It's also a peek into their upbringing. Therefore I don't consider wanting a wife who can cook to be 1950s at all, and I lived through all of the 50s

I cook and always have. Not only do I cook well and in several languages but I'm also a grill master. No big thing. My Mother - a 1940s and beyond SAHM - was a gourmet cook and I learned much from her and took it from there because I enjoy it; everything but baking. My wife is an excellent cook, filling in gaps I may have, and visa-versa. She also bakes so we're a very complete team.

When we both worked we shared all the household chores including the cooking, generally doing it together. Now that we're retired, I usually grill (meats, poultry, fish, vegetables from our garden) about five nights a week because it's healthier that way while my wife prepares other sides in the kitchen. The rest of the time my wife cooks the entire meal and I often help.

But my main point is that there is absolutely nothing sexist about being able to tickle your own palate and others'. It simply makes good sense

Old 09-28-2012, 10:43 AM

8,738 posts, read 9,323,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
On another site I saw posts about how some men were into hispanics women because they're excellent cookers and kind of traditional.

However, I'm the exception to the rule. Though I'm hispanic, I only know how to fry things, make rice, use the microwave and apply basic survive cooking skills. But I can't prepare lentils nor any type of recipe (nothing complicated). Not so long ago, I was trying to make an elaborated soup and it tasted like hot water with salt: really horribly. I think I'm at level 3 out of 10 seriously.

So basically if I were cooking, all my plates would be either simple or repeated. The only time I would be varying would be in breakfast (that's more easier). Is this really that imporant anyways? I'm still going to learn more about culinary arts in my career during the 3rd year but wouldn't like this to become my daily routine. I would rather have this as a type of part-time business where you're assisting customers in serving them well-known dishes and explain its history, background, etc. (I'm going to focus more on hotel, tourism and business management part).

you don't have to be julia child, but I don't know why you couldn't get yourself a cookbook or recipes online and practice so you could cook a decent meal for a husband (and children if you wanted them). I can make simple meals and I like 'comfort foods' and nothing like braised lamb shanks or anything, LOL. I have a cousin who can't cook, she managed to find a husband who's attractive too . They eat Boston Market 3 times a week. I guess some of the men don't care. I couldn't live like that though.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:56 AM

41,876 posts, read 48,129,727 times
Actually, you know what?
You guys are right.
I would prefer someone who can cook.
Not because I need or want them to cook.
But for the same reason I want to be with someone who can tie their own shoe, wipe their own ass, and do their own laundry.
It's a life skill. If you can't master basic life skills, I'm not interested.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:58 AM

3,735 posts, read 3,746,420 times
It's very important, to me and my DH. I love to cook and eat well. My husband loves good food, too. His cooking is okay, but he really doesn't like to cook.

So he was thrilled to marry someone who is a good cook, and cooks everyday. He says that if I weren't a good cook, that would have been a major disappointment for him.

I don't mind that he doesn't cook, although he's always willing to when I can't. I don't mind cooking most of the time.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:07 AM

12,545 posts, read 11,514,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
I suppose you expect men to start giving birth too right?
Works for seahorses.

But anyway, there is no one answer to this. Some men like women who can cook because they like to cook as well and it's a fun thing to do together. Others like women who can cook because are lousy cooks themselves and appreciate a home-cooked meal that doesn't taste like fried mud. Others like women who can cook because they're sexist slobs who feel women should be barefoot and in the kitchen.

As for men, if he cooks, it's a plus. My ex cooked. Back when I ate meat (I don't anymore), he made good rack of lamb. Most of the men I know do cook, and cook well. Quite a few of them are foodies. My current doesn't cook all that much. Just breakfast fare or the occasional pasta dish. I think that given his druthers, if we were to live together, he'd love it if I cooked every night. This is one reason we don't live together.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:13 PM

7,845 posts, read 9,887,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Exactly. I was trying to explain this to my friend. (He likes to bake). I said, I hate measureing. Baking requires measuring! :P
lol...my husband uses the liquid measuring cup when measuring dry ingredients. I told him it's the wrong cup. He said, "A cup is a cup, right?" While he's technically correct, I didn't know how to explain to him why a cup liquid isn't the same as a cup dry.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:14 PM

35,124 posts, read 36,246,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
lol...my husband uses the liquid measuring cup when measuring dry ingredients. I told him it's the wrong cup. He said, "A cup is a cup, right?" While he's technically correct, I didn't know how to explain to him why a cup liquid isn't the same as a cup dry.

No need to explain really, let him do what he does if he loves it and is helping you can always add a little more liquid or flour when he steps out of the kitchen....LOL

Old 09-28-2012, 02:40 PM

7,845 posts, read 9,887,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No need to explain really, let him do what he does if he loves it and is helping you can always add a little more liquid or flour when he steps out of the kitchen....LOL

LOL..that's usually why I tell him "relax, I'll finish making the pancakes"

Old 09-28-2012, 02:45 PM

11,002 posts, read 8,877,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
Yes it would. I don't think cooking is a hard task but I just don't like the idea of doing this on a daily basis. I might maybe surprise a potencial bf with a dish every now and then (depending on the day and occasion) but that's about it.

If somebody doesn't cook, how do you eat on a daily basis? I would never be with someone who could not perform the basics of taking care of themselves. Talk about cost!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships