Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 02:46 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
lol...my husband uses the liquid measuring cup when measuring dry ingredients. I told him it's the wrong cup. He said, "A cup is a cup, right?" While he's technically correct, I didn't know how to explain to him why a cup liquid isn't the same as a cup dry.

They are the same volume. But the accuracy of measurement is different. With dry ingredients, you fluff them up with a spoon, then swipe a straight edge over to even out. That way you don't get packed dry ingredients. Think about the difference between packed and not packed flour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 03:14 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,757 times
Depends on the person you are dating. Every couple is different. Dont think its a top priority for most people. With so many cooking classes & recipes online I dont think it would be difficult for anybody to catchup quickly. Once you have a family you will learn automatically about their tastes & habits. Our moms had a tough time finding recipes in magazines, searching family recipes or secret ingredients but we live in the era of smart phones. There is an app for that

Old 09-28-2012, 03:21 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
They are the same volume. But the accuracy of measurement is different. With dry ingredients, you fluff them up with a spoon, then swipe a straight edge over to even out. That way you don't get packed dry ingredients. Think about the difference between packed and not packed flour.
I know what the difference is lol....telling a man who doesn't "get" the difference is what I meant. I got a deer in the headlight look when I tried explaining once lol

Old 09-28-2012, 03:24 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
It's always nice to have a significant other, male or female, that can cook. But I don't think it's ever the deciding factor in determining a relationship.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:48 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,296 times
I think being able to cook well is extremely important.

I had to teach myself how to cook, literally. I nearly starved to death when I first left the nest.

Now I am an excellent cook to the point I've made my living out of it, and am hoping to open my own restaurant.

I have survived very well with next to no money because I can cook.

It is a wonderful way to make new friends...feed people.

They are always hungry, and always grateful. Feeding friends is one of my greatest pleasures.

As far as preparing lentils...chuck em in a slow cooker with a can of tomatoes and some curry and vegetables.

Prepared.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:55 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I think being able to cook well is extremely important.

I had to teach myself how to cook, literally. I nearly starved to death when I first left the nest.

Now I am an excellent cook to the point I've made my living out of it, and am hoping to open my own restaurant.

I have survived very well with next to no money because I can cook.

It is a wonderful way to make new friends...feed people.

They are always hungry, and always grateful. Feeding friends is one of my greatest pleasures.

As far as preparing lentils...chuck em in a slow cooker with a can of tomatoes and some curry and vegetables.

Prepared.

That's incredibly true. I've made a lot of friends because I have cooked or baked things for other people, which brought them together and I was able to introduce myself to them. I love cooking for others.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:39 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
What an (unintentionally) sexist post. Why is the expectation that women cook for men?

Do women choose men based on how they cook? It's not 1955 anymore.
I did and ate very well for 23 years.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:19 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I did and ate very well for 23 years.
It may not be the 1950s but my wife of 16 years still jokes that she married me for my kitchen and my prowess in it. We've decidedly become "foodies" in our old age and love to cook and experiment together. We even eat the stuff, as do friends.

All this sexist garbage some are spouting is just so much gas.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:51 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,012,060 times
I started out with a mom, then I had a Marine Corps, then a wife, I never cooked. But that was in a different life. Post divorce I have cooked all my own meals from scratch. There have been a lot of things that didn't turn out but some do and I continue to learn. I"m not fast food. It doesn't matter what it is, I'm into taking the time to do things right or at least as right as I can. The woman I end up with.... She will like to cook and I want to do it together which means she would have to want to share cooking too. I see the one I love chopping up goods with me, stirring things, wine flowing, wonderful scents in the air. I find that much like sex I enjoy the foreplay of cooking. As I've come to learn since my divorce I'm only a broken down old romantic and this is all probably just the foolish thinking of a foolish man.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:39 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
I know but sometimes you just bump into those posts. It's like it were some type of bonus to them.
I think men like women who can cook.
But men also like to cook. I think ladies like men who can cook, too.

If you find a guy who wants to learn just as you do, I can definitely say that lots of good things come from learning at the same time, together, in a cooperative way. Two cooking is a lot more fun than just one cooking, and sharing the disasters and triumphs is just as fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships