U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 07:14 AM

863 posts, read 1,017,114 times

Advertisements

I think people inherently enjoy cooking or they don't. I lived in SoCal my entire life until last year when I retired and moved out of state. The point being I've been around more Hispanics- first and second generation, than folks like me (French-English). The fact is a lot of men like the traditional Hispanic woman. And those guys typically like to be in the role of typical Hispanic male. My brother is one of these. And it's kinda funny that he has embraced another culture to the point he has become, for all intents and purposes, Hispanic. The same could be true for other cultures; Italians, Filipino, Japanese...

For people that enjoy cooking, either male or female, it's a growing repetoire. My best advice is to not get stuck where you are. My ex wife learned five entrees in her early twenties. She's now sixty and hasn't progressed. She never liked cooking. On the other hand, I'm still learning. In the past year, I've learned how to make my own soup stock, learned to braise and I've gotten into stovetop smoking. Currently, I've combined braising, smoking and grilling baby back ribs, which are killer. For me, cooking is a art form, inventive and creative. It's also a way to express love. It literally puts your culinary creation into the body of your loved one. And I find that very rewarding.

My daughter is 34, married and could care less about cooking. She married a man with the same interest in cooking as I have, which is fortunate for her.

My fiance is a good cook and we enjoy cooking together. I think our relationship wouldnt be as rich as it is without that. But just because that's something I enjoy doesn't mean it translates to someone else.

Here's the downside of being a good cook; Going out to eat. Seldom do I eat anything that comes close to what I can make at home. So I'm typically disappointed. To find exemplary food would requre more money than I'm inclined to shell out. Whole Foods had scallops on sale yesterday. I think I'll make scallop chowder for dinner. A ceasar salad and french bread with a bottle of white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 07:15 AM

42,120 posts, read 49,416,577 times
How could you find a person attractive if they can't look at a set of step-by-step directions and just follow them?

I'll never understand the "I can't cook" mentality.

My mother is an awesome cook, and she wanted to teach me. I blew that off. When I finally decided I wanted to learn, I just whipped out cookbooks (or went on line), read and followed the directions...now I can cook anything.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:25 AM

863 posts, read 1,017,114 times
Being a good cook is a enhancement, just as being able to make household repairs or fix a car. It's not necessary, but it is nice. Another enhancement could be having a partner that has so much money, they can buy the services of a cook, maid, handyman and car mechanic. Yeah, I could see loving someone like that as much as a "good cook". I think that having a partner with no skills whatsover, whether at home or in business, would be a real problem. There's a old movie with Ann Margaret and Art Garfunkle. While incredibly beautiful, she has no talent whatsoever and is therefore, unattractive. I think it's called "Carnal Knowledge.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:50 AM

5,666 posts, read 4,189,723 times
I can cook, my wife can cook (brilliantly). I had no idea if she could cook before we lived together and as it happened neither of us could. We could do enough to survive (just) but that was about it.

We learned as we went along happily destroying dish after dish until we learned together. As a way to learn I don't think it can be beaten.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:58 AM

23,606 posts, read 30,176,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
Here's the downside of being a good cook; Going out to eat. Seldom do I eat anything that comes close to what I can make at home. So I'm typically disappointed. To find exemplary food would requre more money than I'm inclined to shell out. Whole Foods had scallops on sale yesterday. I think I'll make scallop chowder for dinner. A ceasar salad and french bread with a bottle of white.
But the upside is that you save a bundle of money. Just about the only time we eat out is while on one of our many, short exploratory trips (2-7 days). Other than that, why bother? We cook better food at home than what most restaurants serve - even high-end ones.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:03 AM

7,736 posts, read 13,904,431 times
I struggle with peanut butter & jelly, but I'm terrific at making reservations.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:04 AM

26,646 posts, read 14,812,756 times
I agree that cooking is a basic life skill that comes in handy for everyone. A lot of my women friends don't cook at all; their kids are teen-agers now and expected to . . pick up their own fast food, I guess.

I work full-time but still don't feel right if I'm not preparing at least a few healthy meals a week for my son. Of course, he likes all the extremely fattening stuff but, as a swimmer, he doesn't have to worry about it YET.

I feel like when he leaves for college next year - he might come back and visit a time or two if I make his favorite meals!

Before I had my son, I dated a guy that had full custody of his son. And he COOKED. I was so young and VERY impressed; he seemed so grown-up to me.

I think best of both worlds would be if both people knew how to cook and could take turns OR enjoy preparing meals together.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:10 AM

5,666 posts, read 4,189,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I think best of both worlds would be if both people knew how to cook and could take turns OR enjoy preparing meals together.
Exactly.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:10 AM

42,567 posts, read 42,152,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I struggle with peanut butter & jelly, but I'm terrific at making reservations.
Hahaha

Old 09-29-2012, 10:04 AM

23,606 posts, read 30,176,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
exactly.
x2!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships