Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 06:48 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,054,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I cannot tell you how many women have found the fact that I cook attractive (It seems like a silly thing for a man to get credit for; women cook all the time, and no one seems to even notice). When a man cooks, it signals to women he is an adult, can take of himself, and doesn't need a woman to look after him.
Yep, I agree. I'm a guy, and cook most of my meals. I learned because I was broke, wanted a good meal, and couldn't afford to eat out. Sooo, since I am single, no one else is going to cook for me, so I do it myself.

I've met many women who have problems making eggs and toast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 07:16 AM

864 posts, read 1,454,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
What an (unintentionally) sexist post. Why is the expectation that women cook for men?

Do women choose men based on how they cook? It's not 1955 anymore.

I'm female and I have never prepared a meal in my life. Nor has my husband ever had the remotest expectation of this. Any man that expects their woman to cook for them is either living in the deep south or in a time warp back to the Eisenhower years. If a man wants a hot meal, why aren't they preparing it themselves
Only your interpretation of this question is sexist. The subject title states, "How important is being a good cook." Just because the OP is a woman doesn't mean this applies only to women. It could apply to men just as easily (and men have been commenting). And you've never prepared a meal? Well alrighty then.....

I'm not a great cook yet, but I am learning (I can certainly follow a recipe, and I have a few tried and true dishes I make when I want to cook for a guy). But, I love to bake, and I've actually found my desire and enjoyment in baking to always win approval from the guys I date (yes, I like baking for people...that doesn't mean I'm June Cleaver).

It's not important to me that a guy is a good cook, but it does impress me if he knows his way around a kitchen, and makes an effort to prepare his own healthy (or at least somewhat healthy) meals. Every adult should have basic cooking skills...c'mon! And once kids and/or marriage come into the picture, I think each parent should be capable of cooking for their family, because in my world, marriage is a partnership, where each person pitches in and does what needs to be done. That doesn't mean I expect my future DH to do all the cooking. It will depend on who is working when, and what types of hours, etc. If by some wild chance I'd end up a full-time SAHM, then yes, I'd expect to do *most* of the cooking. Just as if my DH were to end up as a full-time SAHD, I'd expect him to handle most of it.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:18 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Men don't care. They would rather be seen with a thin woman. Cooking is pretty far down on the list.
I prefer a thin woman that cooks like a five star chef and eats small, healthy portions.

Is that too much to ask for?

Old 09-28-2012, 07:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
On another site I saw posts about how some men were into hispanics women because they're excellent cookers and kind of traditional.

However, I'm the exception to the rule. Though I'm hispanic, I only know how to fry things, make rice, use the microwave and apply basic survive cooking skills. But I can't prepare lentils nor any type of recipe (nothing complicated). Not so long ago, I was trying to make an elaborated soup and it tasted like hot water with salt: really horribly. I think I'm at level 3 out of 10 seriously.

So basically if I were cooking, all my plates would be either simple or repeated. The only time I would be varying would be in breakfast (that's more easier). Is this really that imporant anyways? I'm still going to learn more about culinary arts in my career during the 3rd year but wouldn't like this to become my daily routine. I would rather have this as a type of part-time business where you're assisting customers in serving them well-known dishes and explain its history, background, etc. (I'm going to focus more on hotel, tourism and business management part).
Being a good cook takes learning and practice, a lot of practice, just like playing an instrument. If cooking doesn't interest you but you like to eat homemade food, find a guy who enjoys cooking. If you don't really care about food at all and don't mind living on takeout and frozen pizza, then don't worry about it. By the way, making lentils is as easy as making rice.

I love to cook, and I cook a lot. My husband loves that I cook for him, and his friends tell him and me that they wish their wives cooked more. Some men think it's a traditional wife thing. Some just like that someone is doing it, like laundry or mowing the lawn ... somebody probably has to cook. Some will appreciate that you can cook, because there will probably be times in life when it's two days till payday and there's no money to eat Boston Market for the third time that week.

But do you have to cook because you're a woman? No. I cook because I want my family to eat nutritious and tasty food, I like to save money, and that's how I express love. It's not for everybody. Some people think homecooked food is boring.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:16 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,740 times
I think cooking is an important skill for both sexes unless you are always going to be a sahm. My husband isn't a great cook but he has the basics down. I'm glad I can get a homecooked meal and don't always have to be the one to make it. I really dislike take out and I'm cheap too so most of our meals are cooked at home. I work full-time and I can't cook everyday so it's really nice when he makes a hot meal even if it's just a grilled pork chop and some veggies. It still beats takeout. If only the woman can cook and she has to work full time how many from scratch meals can she make in a week without wearing herself out? I cook 2-3 times per week. The husband will do the same and left overs get eaten in between. We save a lot of money like this. Men and women both need to have basic cooking skills.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:24 AM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Men and women both need to have basic cooking skills.
Totally agree.

And no masquerading with ramen noodles and microwave burritos.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:27 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
A girl who can cook would be a huge bonus, because it showed she probably enjoys food, not because I expect her to do it as a woman. I enjoy cooking a lot too, so it'd be something we'd have in common. It's great cooking for each other. It wouldn't be essential, but I'd be cool to meet someone who was a real 'foodie.'

Old 09-28-2012, 08:30 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
FWIW, a man expecting a woman who can cook is no different to a woman expecting a man who has a high paying job.

You can interpret both as sexist, but not one and not the other.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:34 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
On another site I saw posts about how some men were into hispanics women because they're excellent cookers and kind of traditional.

However, I'm the exception to the rule. Though I'm hispanic, I only know how to fry things, make rice, use the microwave and apply basic survive cooking skills. But I can't prepare lentils nor any type of recipe (nothing complicated). Not so long ago, I was trying to make an elaborated soup and it tasted like hot water with salt: really horribly. I think I'm at level 3 out of 10 seriously.

So basically if I were cooking, all my plates would be either simple or repeated. The only time I would be varying would be in breakfast (that's more easier). Is this really that imporant anyways? I'm still going to learn more about culinary arts in my career during the 3rd year but wouldn't like this to become my daily routine. I would rather have this as a type of part-time business where you're assisting customers in serving them well-known dishes and explain its history, background, etc. (I'm going to focus more on hotel, tourism and business management part).
You answered your own question. SOME men. There are still some men out there, and not just Hispanic, it can be any ethnicity, who still have the "old world" mentality that certain women are traditionalists and were "trained" by their mothers to cook, clean house and be a well-rounded wife/mother.

Those days are over. I enjoy cooking and I like trying something new or changing up a recipe. I don't understand why so many men and women think cooking is so difficult. If anyone can follow simple instructions, they can follow a basic recipe. I've made Yorkshire pudding and the first time I made it I could not believe how simple it was. The name sounds a bit intimidating, right? There's like 3 ingredients. My husband isn't fussy and appreciates anything I put in front of him. It might not taste great but he'll eat it and offer suggestions for next time but he usually does that only if say that the dish didn't come out as planned. Cooking isn't about just putting food on a plate. I think the thought that goes into a meal is important because it shows your family or guests that you took the time to create a special meal. I don't think it's very important to be a good cook but I think everyone, men and women, should enjoy it and not look at it as a chore.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:35 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
FWIW, a man expecting a woman who can cook is no different to a woman expecting a man who has a high paying job.

You can interpret both as sexist, but not one and not the other.
Well what if a person who is fit, has a well paying job, and has excellent skills (not necessarily cooking).

Is it fair to demand a member of the opposite sex with the same?

Is it fair to be frustrated if there aren't that many people with the same standards that a person upholds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships