Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 06:31 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
The whole point of flirting is to let someone know you find them attractive and want to get to know them. Eventually this is supposed to lead to dating and a relationship.

Flirting is simply giving another person cues that you are interested in dating them. It involves making eye contact, smiling, making small talk, telling the other person about yourself, and asking about the other person, telling the other person that you enjoyed meeting her and would like to get to know her better, and then exchanging phone numbers.

A man can break the ice with a woman by talking about something specific, for example: "Hi, how did you like the concert?", "Did you see how fast that police car was going? Any idea what happened?"

If there's nothing specific to talk about, a man often approaches a woman with a compliment, like "I just have to tell you what a beautiful smile you have." "That's a great outfit. That color looks wonderful on you."

If she gives you a favorable response, you continue the conversation. You could ask about hobbies, what they do for fun, where they went to school, etc. You don't want to be too intrusive, just politely curious. Don't talk too much about yourself. Let her ask you questions. You might want to invite her to have a cup of coffee or soda with you. Many women are likely to say no because they have other things to do. So don't let that discourage you.

Finally, make sure you tell her that you enjoyed meeting her and would like to get to know her better. Ask her if she'd like to get together some time. If she says yes, ask for a phone number, and offer yours. Then call right away, either later that day or the next. You don't want her to lose interest, which she will if you don't call within a week. When you call her, chat with her briefly and ask her out on a date.

If at any point you don't get a good response from the other person, like if they don't want to talk or exchange contact information, forget about it. People who behave this way are just playing games--this is the "harmless fun" school of thought. Such people are to be ignored if you are looking to get into a relationship.
well it seems most women expect men to not only start the conversation, but keep it alive as well, as in prevent awkward-silences, pauses, etc., when you say let women ask you questions, often times they do not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 06:39 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,990,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
well it seems most women expect men to not only start the conversation, but keep it alive as well, as in prevent awkward-silences, pauses, etc., when you say let women ask you questions, often times they do not
This is true for those women who aren't interested in you. But, when they are interested, they will come bac with questions of there own. Likewise, they show interest in you by doing this.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:42 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
You make me blush on Tuesdays..........
Ha!

Old 09-28-2012, 06:44 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,899,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
I'm sure you're a wonderful, nice looking woman. I'm into older women myself especially brunettes. But even with that being said, I'm not going to assume that just bc a woman smiles at me and says "Hi" that she's interested. These men could have thought that you were just being friendly. I've carried on conversations when a woman has said "Hi" and smiled but I didn't assume anything and going forward I don't assume. Nothing is guaranteed until we're actually on a date.

I'm pretty good with the women but they always surprise me. I can remember one of my many shot-downs quite well...

I was at a rural bar/dance-club simply drinking a beer with friends and watching the folks out on the floor have a good ole time. One particular young woman my age would dance every other song, then go stand on the wall alone. Kind of unusual for a woman to be out alone but what do I know. For about an hour, she stared me down from but a few feet away, from wall and dance floor. There was no mistake about it, it was me. So I got up and asked her if she wanted to dance. "No thank you, but I appreciate the offer." HAHAHA!!!

She then proceeded to dance the rest of the night alone in her own little world.

This is why my philosophy is assume everything. Cause you never know if you don't pull the trigger.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:51 PM

210 posts, read 1,170,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickytoffee View Post
Do any of your friends know anyone to set you up with for coffee or something? What about online dating? I see this commercial for a 50+ only site all the time. Do you play golf? It seems like conversation would happen naturally on the golf course.
I've was set up by a friend. He was nice but there was no romantic spark between us.

I've met men online. The main problem with that is that they usually have children, which is a dealbreaker for me. Also, my experience with men online is that they are flaky. You'll email back and forth, talk on the phone, then when it's time to meet, they disappear.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:54 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,598 times
Quote:
I am not doing anything wrong.

Not to toot my own horn, but I take good care of myself. I am 51, but everyone thinks I'm 31. I am healthy, slim and curvaceous. I don't want to put my own picture up here, but this is what I look like. This is Jaclyn Smith. I look like her so much people are always coming up to me thinking that I'm her.

I am intelligent, keep up with current events, go out and do things, and am an interesting person. I have a decent job and am friendly. I have lots of friends and get along with most people.

I don't know what else I'm supposed to do...
Hmmmm... a Jaclyn Smith lookalike wouldn't be having trouble meeting someone without some external factor getting in the way. At least I wouldn't think so but would have to admit such a girl would be guaranteed to have me over for a look see. Have you had a friend check your approach to see if you are not giving off negative vibes unaware? Screaming needy, pyscho hose beast, so on. I'm not saying you are but I have seen both men and women do this over the years and its something to check. What is the age of these gentlemen? In general younger folks seem to me less adept at meeting someone cold than our generation, have you been trying to parley that Jaclyn thing into a 30 year old?

Old 09-28-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
I'm not going to assume that just bc a woman smiles at me and says "Hi" that she's interested. These men could have thought that you were just being friendly. I've carried on conversations when a woman has said "Hi" and smiled but I didn't assume anything and going forward I don't assume. Nothing is guaranteed until we're actually on a date.
How are you going to even have a first date if, after having had a nice conversation, if you don't even tell her you'd like to see her again or ask for her phone number?

Most women aren't going to just offer their phone number to you if you don't ask.

Last edited by Mentat; 09-28-2012 at 07:09 PM..

Old 09-28-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
LOL!!! If women actually thought that when they smiled at us, we were to believe that it meant that they were interested...

I always assumed that it was just friendliness, especially given the diversity of women that smile at me (old, young, married with their husband right next to them, etc.)
If she gives you a friendly smile and just keeps going, it's safe to bet that she's just being friendly and isn't interested in you.

However, if she smiles a lot and maintains prolonged eye contact, finds excuses to touch you, talks to you for a long time, seems really interested in what you have to say, I would think she's probably interested. Then I would think you should tell her you'd like to see her again. What can it hurt to try? The worse that can happen is that she says no. But at least you tried.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
This is why my philosophy is assume everything. Cause you never know if you don't pull the trigger.
Yes. Why not? You never know when you're going to meet the right one.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:18 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,805 times
Quote:
How are you going to even have a first date if, after having had a nice conversation, you don't even tell her you'd like to see her again or ask for her phone number?

Most women aren't going to just offer their phone number to you if you don't ask.
Once bitten... I've told this story a couple of weeks ago but it'll clearly illustrate what I'm talking about. There's this woman that I constantly see at my gym. All of a sudden she starts waving and smiling at me when she sees me. So at first I think that it's strange bc I've never seen her before. Well after a week or so of her doing it consisting I started waving back but never interrupting her workout. According to what you're saying it would appear that she was flirting. So I finally introduce myself and we talk for about 15 minutes and she's making eye contact and smiling. I was thinking that this is great. So the next time I see her she gives me a big hug. I proceed to ask her out for coffee. Guess what?? She is seeing someone. This happened a couple of weeks ago. We still talk and now she is telling me that she isn't really dating that guy, but c'mon. She's 45 and I'm 35.

Most women will give you their number. It doesn't mean that she is interested. Women 40+ are generally interested when they give the number out. It just depends bc what a guy may think are signals could actually be misconstrued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships