Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 11:10 AM

934 posts, read 1,938,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter002 View Post
That's usually how it works. People do not take Height Bigotry seriously, except in Massachussets where it is outlawed in the workplace.

You are clearly a person who. takes. everything. seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 AM

934 posts, read 1,938,544 times
Quote:
That fact that you dated him doesn't mean anything. Plenty of white women with bigoted racial views date black men, plenty of athletic men with bigoted views date and/or screw fat women.

His behavior reinforced your views of stereotypes. Stop skirting around it. It really is okay.... Lol.

There you go....why do you hate? Why are you so bigoted?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:24 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
Come on now, damn, Bob has started three threads all the same venue. What do you want? people to tell you you're tall, better looking?? I mean, get over it.

What would Napolean have done?
Recently made a very subtle and respectful play for a girl at work and was rejected for my height. She then went around the office complaining to others about my height and making jokes about it to myself and others. She also said it was 'cute' that I had a crush on her. I am 40, she is 38.

Do you think this is appropriate behavior?

Is being sensative the kiss of death for a guy?

met a girl at work, got along great...yada, yada. The short version is I was out plalyed by a professional playa and lost her. She is a single mother in her late 30s but still likes to party.
How did I end of the bad guy in all this?

met a girl at work, got along great until she asked me my height out of the blue. I am 5'9", she is 5'7". After that she avoided me like the plague and hooked up with a married player.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:52 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,255 times
Quote:
Believing that "Napoleon Complexes" exists = you're a bit of a height bigot. Especially if you think "Angry Black Women" doesn't exist and other stereotypes are "wrong". You either believe in stereotyping or you do not. You do not "justify" certain stereotypes because you believe they exist and others do not. Certianly anyone from anecdotes come across Black Women with attitudes, does that mean ABWS exists? Certainly not. Can I say some have it? Of course not. That would be stereotyping/borderline racism. You cannot throw stereotypes to one group and not to the other group and not call yourself a bigot to the group you're stereotyping (even if you're dating them). It doesn't all of a sudden "not" become bigotry becuase you're targeting a different immutable physical trait than race.

You're 5'6? Lol. Nice. I am not much taller than you and am successful in business because I started one myself. I worked in Corporate America for a long while and also Education. You are still kind of young (though I am only a couple of years older than you). Outside of Education, Tech/Engineering and Medicine proper (where education+experience counts as #1 for advancement+pay), wait till it's time to become partner, CEO or President. Men 6' and up make up 13% of the population and have 99% of the C.E.O./Partner/Top Management jobs. You'll feel it when it's time for that major promotion and you're up against taller guys (even if you posess more education and are more competent than they).

Of the few C.E.Os that are 5'8 and under, they started their own businesses. Heightism is pervasive buddy and we're NOT just talking dating. Although that is the subject here.

Sperm Banks won't even accept sperm from Men below 5'11. Why is that? Hmmmmm. There is no Heightism right?

The Social Complex
At Eye Level
Yeah, good points. I'm actually in the health care field, the military, and have my own business. So I guess I just lucked out in the sense that I would never want to be a CEO or want a top management job in a company other than my own. I've never had any interest in the corporate world.

Again, I've also found it to not be a big deal in dating. When I was going through a difficult time in my life, I was being rejected by tall and short girls alike. When I was going through a good time, I got tall girls and short girls. Sure, they may SAY that I'm too short or whatever, but, as we both know, their minds can be easily changed

And, yeah, I have looked into donating sperm before and saw that. That's really the only time that I encountered such an issue. But that science is flawed and the banks are really hurting themselves (I'm short, but my father is average height; and my mother and brother are both above average height....so there's a good chance that I'll end up having tall kids). Genetics are far more complicated than the average person could ever imagine.

Also, I've found that I've been able to side-step any issues that could have possibly come with my height because I'm very intelligent. So, if I had to choose, I'd rather be smart than tall

Old 10-01-2012, 03:51 PM

499 posts, read 756,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
Also, I've found that I've been able to side-step any issues that could have possibly come with my height because I'm very intelligent. So, if I had to choose, I'd rather be smart than tall
Same here and many of my experiences match your own. I left Corporate America to avoid all of that B.S.

My mother is also very tall and I will likely have tall kids. Everyone else in my family is tall but me. My great grandfather was very short.

Sources on Sperm Bank Height Requirements (per the claim that there is no "heightism")

How To Become a Sperm Donor - YouTube

2. ZyGen Laboratory ::

We have a minimum height requirement of 5' 11" with weight needing to be proportionate to height. Our donors must be between 18 and 37 years of age

3. SoYouWanna donate sperm? Top 10 Questions

Are there certain physical characteristics that I need to have?
Yes. You'll need to be at least 5'11" and be a normal weight for your height.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:02 PM

499 posts, read 756,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
Genetics are far more complicated than the average person could ever imagine.
Very important point. But the simpletons will say garbage like, "I'm a short woman so I NEED a tall man so I can have taller kids". This doesn't work 100% of the time or even 50% of the time. To be short, you need to have a short gene. It's medically accepted that boys inherit most (majority) of their mother's genes. When I worked in Ed, over 10 years I can say with 100% certainty that most short couples had boys as tall or taller than the father, where most short woman tall dad couples had kids that were in the median, with a few cases where the boy really exceeded the dad's height. Short dad/Tall mom couples almost always broke boys that were ridiculously tall. It was insane (puzzled me lots). We're not talking like where the dad is like 5'3, but 5'6 and up.

Of course that was anecdotal to where I worked, but if there is a short gene present, shortness can be had.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:04 PM

102 posts, read 153,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Come on now, damn, Bob has started three threads all the same venue. What do you want? people to tell you you're tall, better looking?? I mean, get over it.
Sorry, this is really pissing me off. I just can't get over being made the bad guy for showing a healthy, sincere interest and watching people who treat each other like **** have a supportive social network. I mean, at the end of the day after screwing each other literally and me figuratively he goes home to his loving wife and she goes home to her new husband. Meanwhile, I look like Norman Bates.

Maybe I am, but **** that just ain't fair.

What I want is for them both to apologize and show some respect for someone who meant neither of them ill will.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:16 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Sperm Banks won't even accept sperm from Men below 5'11. Why is that? Hmmmmm. There is no Heightism right?
Yeah, that's not true. I've processed donor sperm for insemination and I've seen the donor profile that comes with the samples and most were around 5'9. That's just what our patients happened to choose, not necessarily representative of the entire stock of the sperm banks.

Now, banks will turn away men if they already have enough samples of a certain type (there was a little controversy awhile back about a certain sperm bank turning away redheads), so if the 5'4 sperm aren't selling then they might not accept as many 5'4 men. Some banks specialize and only accept donations from tall, northern European men, but for the most part sperm banks like to hold a wide variety of samples for their customers to choose from. Because if you're a woman married to a short, infertile man, you probably don't want to choose donor sperm from an NBA player, you're looking for a donor as similar to your husband as possible.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:33 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,255 times
Quote:
Very important point. But the simpletons will say garbage like, "I'm a short woman so I NEED a tall man so I can have taller kids". This doesn't work 100% of the time or even 50% of the time. To be short, you need to have a short gene. It's medically accepted that boys inherit most (majority) of their mother's genes. When I worked in Ed, over 10 years I can say with 100% certainty that most short couples had boys as tall or taller than the father, where most short woman tall dad couples had kids that were in the median, with a few cases where the boy really exceeded the dad's height. Short dad/Tall mom couples almost always broke boys that were ridiculously tall. It was insane (puzzled me lots). We're not talking like where the dad is like 5'3, but 5'6 and up.

Of course that was anecdotal to where I worked, but if there is a short gene present, shortness can be had.
Okay, but, honestly dude, if they want to be prejudiced against me at sperm banks, that's fine. I don't really want to donate sperm anyway lol.

If a girl doesn't want my sperm because I'm short, then I don't want her to have my sperm, dammit!

Also, I don't believe that there's a "short gene." It's most likely many genes that comprise that feature.

And, like you, the vast majority of my family are tall or average height. Apparently, my father's mother's brother was short and had a short family. Guess I randomly got it from him? But I also got my grandmother's intelligence and style of thinking (which gave me a good business sense and analytical skills). And I got my grandfather's good looks and outgoing personality.

Win some, lose some
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships