Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:00 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1987 View Post
How do you guys feel about shirtless pics on dating websites?

Like the more conservative/ serious ones (eharmony, match, etc)

I mean, do they actually expect to be taken seriously for a long term relationship or marriage?

Or are they usually out for flings?
"This is me flexing in the mirror, aren't I gorgeous?" *moves on to next pic* "Here's me flexing at the beach, that ship in the background? That's carrying my ego."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 11:17 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
The women who emailed him obviously liked what they saw in the pics, and that's fine- they are attracted to pics of shirtless guys. There's nothing wrong with that, but guys who put shirtless pics up should know how they're coming across to other women who aren't like those responding to him.

Nothing against the people putting these pics up- they could be great people- but the fact that they're willing to flaunt their chests and abs to complete strangers on dating sites tells me that they're not the types to settle down with. They seem more like 'fling' material.
They don't want the other women. They want women the who are attracted to their shirtless pic.

Having something in your profile that attracts the people you want and repels the people you don't want is a great strategy, the problem is, it is hard to figure out exactly what that thing is. A motorcycle pic is a good one - I am completely turned off when I see a guy on his motorcycle, but other women are turned on. A guy on a bike doesn't want to date me anyway, so thanks to the picture, we aren't wasting eachother's time.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,300 times
100% turn off. My thought is, what are you selling. Is that the only thing you have going on is your body? Yes, I agree that people that show too much in their photo's are saying they are not looking for anything serious because that shouldn't be the first thing you try to "sell" someone. It says shallow and superficial. Then I also wonder is there enough room for me in your mirror or self-praise and adoration?

Old 10-06-2012, 06:49 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
100% turn off. My thought is, what are you selling. Is that the only thing you have going on is your body? Yes, I agree that people that show too much in their photo's are saying they are not looking for anything serious because that shouldn't be the first thing you try to "sell" someone. It says shallow and superficial. Then I also wonder is there enough room for me in your mirror or self-praise and adoration?
What else should you show in a picture? Of course men show off their gym-bodies as much as women show off their legs and cleveage. What's wrong with that? If you are against shirtless bathroom pictures how about a picture from a beach? What is the difference?

I don't understand people who put pictures of cars, children or their pets on profiles. Who am I going to date? Your car, bike or kids?
If you want to come across as intelligent you can prove it in your profile, pictures are pictures and only show your outside. It's good when it is attractive, isn't it?

Old 10-06-2012, 08:02 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
They don't want the other women. They want women the who are attracted to their shirtless pic.

Having something in your profile that attracts the people you want and repels the people you don't want is a great strategy, the problem is, it is hard to figure out exactly what that thing is. A motorcycle pic is a good one - I am completely turned off when I see a guy on his motorcycle, but other women are turned on. A guy on a bike doesn't want to date me anyway, so thanks to the picture, we aren't wasting eachother's time.
This post aboves shows that people really should portray themselves as they are, because then they will probably attract those people that like what they are. Onglet's example of a picture of a guy on a motorcycle turning her off, would be the complete opposite for me. I LOVE motorcycles, and I would love it if a guy owned a motorcycle. I have a motorcyle license, but I would need to learn to ride again because I just learned enough to get my license. LOL

I swear, If I was on a dating site and saw a picture of a halfway decent looking guy, kneeling next to his motorcycle, with an arm around his dog, and wearing a backpack and holding a hiking pole in his other hand, i'm definitely interested! LOL Because that's three things I like in one photo; motorcycles, hiking, and dogs!

So, it pays just to be yourself. So, I guess some vain arsehole that is into worshipping his body and fast cars should post with his shirt off next to his Corvette, because then he may attract women that are into that whole scene and think that is cool. Other women who dont like that will pass over his profile.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:06 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,100 times
Ha..this just gave me an idea. If I ever do the online thing, Im going to post pics of me hiking, and with my dog. LOL Perhaps then people can see that I like dogs and hiking as opposed to just reading it in my profile. Might stand out more.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:47 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
I think it's OK if he was at the beach or the pool. If he's standing in front of the bathroom mirror, not so much. I can't take that seriously.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:58 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I think it's OK if he was at the beach or the pool. If he's standing in front of the bathroom mirror, not so much. I can't take that seriously.
Yeah, I had one of those and he was saying, "To give you an idea..."

Old 10-06-2012, 10:08 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
Yeah, I had one of those and he was saying, "To give you an idea..."
LOL.....no matter how well put together they are, that is just so not sexy to me. Get over yourself.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
LOL.....no matter how well put together they are, that is just so not sexy to me. Get over yourself.
If this not sexy to you then you are probably not a person he was looking for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships